Living Will / Advance Directive

AAArdvark

How do I go about getting an Advance Directive?  I want one that I can keep on me.  If I get run over by a bus, I will not be able to fill one out at the hospital so that won't work.  I also do not want to assign someone as my healthcare representative because anyone I assign will be too far away..  All I need is a simple pull the plug document if I can't verbally make my own decisions.

I'm pretty certain I saw a link to a Thailand-specific version a few days ago - maybe in another post? However, you're right - how would the hospital know.  In some countries you can register your Advance Directive with your medical records eg. Australian Government Health Record or even organisations like MedicAlert.  However the hospital still needs to decide to look, even if you're wearing a MedicAlert bracelet (I have the dog tags version on a chain around my neck).  According to my doctor paramedics are always going to attempt resuscitation, and wouldn't bother checking - so there's the "run over by a bus" option gone.  It's really only of benefit if you're already hooked up to the life support machine and your nearest and dearest want some direction about turning it off

Hospitals have their own forms, ask for it at any hospital you frequent.

You can also have a lawyer draw one up for you, I did. (In Thai and English, notarized). Male sure those who might be around you have copies, understand it and are prepared to enforce it.

Archived