Pattaya: Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

webfact

Pattaya: Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

1pm.jpg

Picture: The Pattaya News

A mother has claimed that her two year old son was knocked unconscious by a police volunteer wielding a truncheon last night.

The parents of the child were going out to eat in Soi Khao Talo, Pattaya, when they saw a police checkpoint and doubled back on their motorcycle to avoid a fine. 

Kanya Tomklang, 25, said that a man dressed in black jumped out of the shadows and attacked them hitting her son Sila Ninkham or "Sam" aged just two. 

55932464_419891141905984_3178686299129249792_n.jpg

Picture: The Pattaya News

She said that the man was still not satisfied with what he had done - he raised his baton to strike again as the husband and father kicked out to prevent further injury. 

The family managed to get away. 

They rushed to a clinic but finding it close made their way to Bang Lamung Hospital where the child was given three stitches to a serious head wound. 

As The Pattaya News reporters spoke to the mother the child began vomiting and was transferred to another hospital for more urgent treatment. 

The mother had said: "We just wanted to avoid a fine - is it that serious that it warrants this?"

Posters on the news site on Facebook urged the family to go to the government watchdog Damrongtham for justice. One poster who called the police "dogs" had more than 100 likes. 

The story was widely shared. 

More about this incident as we hear of it. 

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-27

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Black uniform? jumped out of the shadows? Either a fake cop or a fake story.

It's quite normal. Usually without a shave for days too. And they do give a chase. I have never been truncheoned though. If you ever imagined what a highway bandit might look like?

I have seen disgraceful tactics employed by the cops to get someone to stop, with no thought whatsoever for the potential injury or death such stupidity can cause. And for what? 99% of the time, it is simply a bit of extra tea money. I hope the dirtbag that did this is found and publicly crucified. Smashing a baby in the head with a truncheon is just not acceptable in the slightest, regardless of why mum and dad wanted to avoid the stop.

Usually the goal, when Thai cops deal with fleeers, is to knock the bike over. They often do this by kicking them off. Volunteers are even worse as they are totally untrained, eager to prove themselves and younger and more impetuous.

Fleeing a checkpoint is a risky business. You have escalated the issue with the police. Thai police are irresponsible and unaccountable so if you choose to escalate with them, you are taking a big risk. Notice how the husband continued to escalate further by fighting with the police and then fleeing for a second time. You cannot count on the Thai police to be concerned about your safety.

Bad decisions all round.

If they cannot get the fine,they are going to take a piece of you,

never seen police carrying a trouchon here,so who knows what

he was hit with,maybe an iron bar,this is a real disgrace,and i hope

the perpetrator is found and punished,but i doubt he will

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Usually the goal, when Thai cops deal with fleeers, is to knock the bike over. They often do this by kicking them off. Volunteers are even worse as they are totally untrained, eager to prove themselves and younger and more impetuous.

Fleeing a checkpoint is a risky business. You have escalated the issue with the police. Thai police are irresponsible and unaccountable so if you choose to escalate with them, you are taking a big risk. Notice how the husband continued to escalate further by fighting with the police and then fleeing for a second time. You cannot count on the Thai police to be concerned about your safety.

Bad decisions all round.

I agree with virtually everything you say with one exception. The father started fighting with the volunteer cop to prevent him causing further injury to his child. When your child is in danger, the overriding priority is to protect and to me the father is quite correct to do what he did. In fact I would go so far as to say the cop was lucky that he didn't get beaten to death for striking and seriously injuring a baby. 

The guy claiming the cops are dogs cettainly has a point. This is an appalling crime regardless of who committed it.

I can almost guarantee it'll be labelled a misunderstanding like always. Hope the young kid is alright now

50 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

It's quite normal. Usually without a shave for days too. And they do give a chase. I have never been truncheoned though. If you ever imagined what a highway bandit might look like?

Never seen one on the Darkside, particularly at a traffic stop. Never seen a cop with a truncheon either.

A fake news story troll post has been removed, please also see this extract from the forum rules:

The ThaiVisa News Team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and International sources, and republishes them in the News Forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our News Team works hard to bring quality content to the News Forums, and should be respected for their efforts.
Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are neither respectful nor welcome on the forum, and will be considered as troll comments and removed and the offending poster warned and/or suspended accordingly.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just because you have never seen it does not mean that it never happens.

True. Have you ever seen a police volunteer, dressed in a black uniform and carrying a truncheon, on the Darkside?

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It seems unlikely to me that anyone would deliberately strike a small child in that way. More likely that the policeman was aiming for one of the adults and missed.

Whacking a woman with a truncheon being entirely acceptable.

29 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It seems unlikely to me that anyone would deliberately strike a small child in that way. More likely that the policeman was aiming for one of the adults and missed.

I tend to agree.

Having dealt with hundreds of police checkpoints in Thailand in my time as a motorcyclist here, this is my conjecture.

The 3 on the bike have admitted seeing the checkpoint and turning back to avoid it.

Checkpoints often put spotters in advance of the checkpoint to deal with situations like that and to advise the checkpoint by radio or hand signal of approaching offenders.

The 3 on the bike didn't anticipate the spotter who surprised them by stepping into the road. The bike either couldn't stop or tried to flee.

True to form, the police volunteer spotter took a swing at them with something. The driver husband saw this and ducked. Right behind the was the young child being held by the mother and the child got whacked. They probably all came off the bike. A crap kicking fight ensued. The police volunteer had no idea at all of restraint procedures or really what to do at all. He probably ran away after a bit.

The 3 got back on the bike and made a break for it.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

True. Have you ever seen a police volunteer, dressed in a black uniform and carrying a truncheon, on the Darkside?

No I haven't simply because I don't go to anywhere in Pattaya.

I repeat just because you and I have never seen it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

The baby is going to have much worst head injuries than just 2 stitches if they crash  not wearing a helmet!!!  Hope that is a lesson to the family..... 1.  all wear helmets, 2, don't break the law, 3, don't fight with police. 

Its likely hitting the kid was actually an accident in the fight.  He was probably trying to hit the guy and stop him.  I hope the women did not use the kid as a shield.  Does not excuse it through!!!  

Was it one of those farang  "wannabee" police-spec-ops in his novelty commando para suit or was it a Thai local police wannabee volonteer ?

Anyhow, this is what happens when untrained personnel are recruted, who are not really cops within any police force as they just do not have the mental capacities to handle a very demanding job.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No I haven't simply because I don't go to anywhere in Pattaya.

I repeat just because you and I have never seen it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

It's a very busy area between Sukhumvit Road and the railroad. I have witnessed several, presumed drug busts in the day time, a few years ago while living close by. The dealer always runs away and always gets caught in the end. Not all the cops are always in uniform but it seems those big boots are the best for kicking the dealers. I mostly agree with the police, the tough measures are required in that neighbourhood. All I was saying that when the cops want to stop me after illegal u-turn or such, they should wear something official and not look like highway bandits.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have seen disgraceful tactics employed by the cops to get someone to stop, with no thought whatsoever for the potential injury or death such stupidity can cause. And for what? 99% of the time, it is simply a bit of extra tea money. I hope the dirtbag that did this is found and publicly crucified. Smashing a baby in the head with a truncheon is just not acceptable in the slightest, regardless of why mum and dad wanted to avoid the stop.

Volunteer cop my .... As long as it is possible for higher ranks to employ uneducated, power hungry morons in their family for the job, this is what you get.

OK so the low down. I was very very surprised to read this because NO Foreign Volunteer police are allowed to man road stops since June 2018. Period. That's the law and it sticks. ONLY THAI volunteer police may do so OR Tourist Police. Foreign VOLUNTEER police have no authority, power of arrest OR anything else for that matter, what-so-ever. They simply can tell someone where to go... literally ???? They MUST use BIB or Thai Tourist Police.... So two things are possible here... assuming the story is accurate and not BS....it was highly likely a Thai Volunteer or Thai Tourist policeman or a Thai BIB OR lurker took that shot at the family. Take your pick...please, not literally! ⛏️

It's a very busy area between Sukhumvit Road and the railroad. I have witnessed several, presumed drug busts in the day time, a few years ago while living close by. The dealer always runs away and always gets caught in the end. Not all the cops are always in uniform but it seems those big boots are the best for kicking the dealers. I mostly agree with the police, the tough measures are required in that neighbourhood. All I was saying that when the cops want to stop me after illegal u-turn or such, they should wear something official and not look like highway bandits.

I agree in that fleeing by the suspect is a bad move and allows for the situation to escalate.. that said, I also think that how that situation is addressed by law enforcement also matters.

I don’t think that a fleeing suspect should simply be allowed to flee without any police attempts to stop or restrain the suspect.. but.. I think those efforts to stop/detain have to be measured and take the safety of EVERYONE - that’s the suspect(s), law enforcement and the public - into account.. as well as the risk to property, be that public or private.

In this case, as it’s presented, I think the family squarely owns the genesis to the issue... it sounds like they knowingly chose to flee .. but the matter also appears to be handled in a manner that resulted in moderately serious consequences.. and the police owns that part.

Archived