Britain's May offers to quit to get her Brexit deal over the line

webfact

2 hours ago, Topdoc said:

"That a sitting PM should stoop so low as to blackmail MP's just adds to the disgrace she has brought to the office. And if MP’s allow themselves to be blackmailed into passing her disastrous deal, it shows that they too have lost their moral compass."

D. Rising

Wrong,she should blackmail them and more.Those idiots voted out 8 options,that means they don't know what they want or not want.In this case it needs a hard hand what is telling them which direction to go

2 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Wrong,she should blackmail them and more.Those idiots voted out 8 options,that means they don't know what they want or not want.In this case it needs a hard hand what is telling them which direction to go

The indicative voting hasn't been completed - and won't be until Monday. This was merely the first stage where 'appetite' was being tested. Now parliament know the results, they are more likely to reach a consensus. That's the idea...

As for May, who I have little time for, her ONLY approach is blackmailing parliament to accept HER deal, which by common criticism is worse than remaining in the EU. How that would benefit the people at large is not what was promised by her. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm thinking about how MPs will vote.

Revoking article 50 would seriously piss off more voters than them deciding to hold another referendum?  At least if they choose to hold another referendum they could try to rely on the argument that they had left it up to the electorate?

That could be the final default position - which as far as May is concerned could be her best chance of getting her deal passed - even if it's delayed a few months. 

In the meantime, more businesses and people will leave the UK to stew in its own muck. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

That could be the final default position - which as far as May is concerned could be her best chance of getting her deal passed - even if it's delayed a few months. 

In the meantime, more businesses and people will leave the UK to stew in its own muck. 

Depends on the options in any future referendum - if MPs decide to take this route.

If it was:-

1) Accept the eu/may deal

2) Leave immediately

I think the vote would go to 'leave immediately', as even remainers know that the eu/may 'deal' is the worst possible option?

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have run out of metaphors for 'self-harm', so I will repeat my favourite;

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch.

It is pure speculation, but one has to wonder; how much better of a country would the UK have been if it hadn't wasted so much political time, so much political energy and so much political effort on this issue? What might it have achieved? What new structures might it have created? What new ideas might have bubbled up and been implemented? How much further ahead might it have gone?

All this energy, merely to make oneself smaller...

Great post, everything you say is true. All that has happened has been to appease hard right members of the Tory party. 

Biggest problem is that in getting rid of May, it could be Johnson, Gove or Rees Mogg take her place. Too awful to imagine. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Instead of relying on insults, perhaps you could post a reasoned opinion?

No, you don't get it.  We're all having a lark watching this brilliant disaster unfold as you all trade your "reasoned opinions."  Just carry on.  That's all we ask.

Edited by JTXR

27 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The indicative voting hasn't been completed - and won't be until Monday. This was merely the first stage where 'appetite' was being tested. Now parliament know the results, they are more likely to reach a consensus. That's the idea...

As for May, who I have little time for, her ONLY approach is blackmailing parliament to accept HER deal, which by common criticism is worse than remaining in the EU. How that would benefit the people at large is not what was promised by her. 

Well since nobody in parliament knows what they want somebody must make decision.Since May is the PM.....If not it will end with hard Brexit.They had almost 3 years time to come up with something smart.Where are Farage and Johnson?

26 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Depends on the options in any future referendum - if MPs decide to take this route.

If it was:-

1) Accept the eu/may deal

2) Leave immediately

I think the vote would go to 'leave immediately', as even remainers know that the eu/may 'deal' is the worst possible option?

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've already said that I can't see MPs allowing 'no deal' to happen.

Hence the other points I've raised.

13 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Read your post 68. It's pointless suggesting a referendum could include a no-deal option because you've already discounted it and, more to the point, so has parliament. 

Nothing to do with my opinion, 'cos as you so rightly point out - it's worth nothing.

We're now looking at the entertaining spectacle of MPs desperately trying to find a way to remain - without losing their seats at the next GE - and the best way they can vote to achieve this goal ????!

Sadly, it has nothing to do with the referendum result anymore - it's all about how they can save their <deleted>........

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Until this week Brexiteers and very specifically Rees-Mogg and the ERG were vehemently opposed to TM’s deal, it was RM told us worse than remaining.

TM’s deal has not changed.

So how does TM offering to resign make her deal more acceptable?

A logical explanation from any Brexit supporter welcome.

A brexiter gets to be PM. Which is what they all really want anyway. Leaving the EU is just a means to an end. 

TM is goading them saying: okay, you do better.

The end result will be an unelectable Tory party if you had a JRM at the helm, or more of the same if you had a convenient Brexiter like Boris running things. 

Edited by samran

43 minutes ago, superal said:

Gonna get hit on this point but I have to ask why Nigel Farage was not involved in the negotiations in some capacity as he must be the most experienced candidate given his EU involvement .  

Farage is not part of the UK ruling Government , so he was unable to be a UK Gov representative , although he was in Brussels taking part in the debates as an independent M.E.Pp

12 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The Uk has the power to control immigration and has been doing so throughout. it's not true they must allow uncontrolled immigrants from the EU.

Isnt there European freedom of movement , giving all E.U member Countries the rights to go and live and work in any other E.U. Country ? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Farage is not part of the UK ruling Government , so he was unable to be a UK Gov representative , although he was in Brussels taking part in the debates as an independent M.E.Pp

Whilst I agree, the last person the brit. govt. wanted involved in negotiations is Farage!

Having said that, as far as I know he didn't offer.

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Isnt there European freedom of movement , giving all E.U member Countries the rights to go and live and work in any other E.U. Country ? 

Grouse said a while ago that this is not the case, and that the brit. govt. could have applied restrictions.

I've no idea whether this is true or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whilst I agree, the last person the brit. govt. wanted involved in negotiations is Farage!

Having said that, as far as I know he didn't offer.

Members of the ruling Conservative party elect Ministers from within the Party to be Prime Minister and the other Ministers vote on who they want  , as Ferage isnt a member of the Conservative Party , he was unable to stand for election leadership

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Until this week Brexiteers and very specifically Rees-Mogg and the ERG were vehemently opposed to TM’s deal, it was RM told us worse than remaining.

TM’s deal has not changed.

So how does TM offering to resign make her deal more acceptable?

A logical explanation from any Brexit supporter welcome.

Brexiteers have two choices, not leaving or not really leaving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Members of the ruling Conservative party elect Ministers from within the Party to be Prime Minister and the other Ministers vote on who they want  , as Ferage isnt a member of the Conservative Party , he was unable to stand for election leadership

I'm not talking about Farage as PM - just as the lead negotiator.

I'm sure they could have made an exception (even though he wasn't part of the tory party), as Farage was the most obvious person to lead negotiations to leave the eu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1