Gentleman GPX 200cc

Gandtee

52 minutes ago, aremesal said:

I have one - it's my first proper bike, I only rode scooters before.

Overall opinion: I'm happy with it specially thinking about the cost - of course, you get what you pay for.

The bike is solid, but has an almost obsolete engine: it's a 200cc carburated air cooled (with oil cooler tho). There're not oficial numbers but people talk about 15HP.

Regarding power, I use it for my daily commuting, almost daily very-short trips around Chiang Mai (less than 100Km) and the odd not-so-long trip (200-250Km) to other provinces. It's OK for doing that, but I wouldn't travel with my gf. In the mountains has enough power, but in the tight up sections you need to play with the shorter gears to keep the engine at a good rpm rate.

An Aerox (155, injection, variable valves) has more power/torque and accelerates faster. But of course, at the same speed (let's say 100Km/h) the Gentlemen feels better.

Right today I came to CM sharing the road for many Km with a R15 (150cc if I remember well, 17HP, injection). In the traffic lights both of us did some "racing" ???? - he's a young thai so like to do noise ("Akrapovic" powered). I could follow the R15 without power issues, but I could heard the R15 engine giving more power in the up rpm while I needed to change gears to maintain the torque. I think it's the expected, as both bikes have almost the same HP - but the R15 is a 150cc.

Brakes are OK, but they're not the most powerful I've tried - even with the TWO big front discs. The touch is a bit "nothing-to-all" for me, they're not so easy to control the pressure - and of course, no ABS.

Regarding the construction: it's a chinese-built bike, but overall is more than acceptable. Mine is 1.5 years old and 17000Km, and the only things I changed was because aesthetics. It has one spoke head beggining to rust, as well as the nut in the front tire valve, but rest of bolts are rust-free (I don't have a covered parking, if rains, my bike is under the rain).

But of course, keep in mind it's chinese. Not problems, just the feeling. How it feels to open and close the seat, the touch of the clutch, etc. As said, no problems, no broken pieces, but the feeling is not world class. When you ride a 2017 or later Honda by example you know the difference in terms of smoothness, feel and touch.

As for the good details, it has gear indicator in the pretty good LCD, many expensive motorbikes don't have - I'm a novice so having it is a BIG help for me. It just works, and is easy and cheap to maintain.

About the price, I bought it second hand with 7000Km, cost 40.000 last year. Right now you can find an almost-stock second hand by 32-35K, or a customized one around 40-43K. New is around 67K if I remember well.

TL;DR

For the price I'm more than happy, it's giving me a good time learning how to ride and overall I don't have any issues apart from the "cheap feeling" sometimes. I'm planning to buy a Honda Rebel around October - and will sell the Gentleman.

If you have any specific question, don't hesitate in asking me ????

Thanks for the quick response and concise opinion. It was the touch of the retro look that attracted my attention. I've just got back from NZ where my son in law is into Harleys and keeps on about them not producing a model that would attract the younger element. They haven't changed their design much over the years and perhaps they could learn something from the up and coming bike designers. Thanks again. Safe riding. 

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there is nothing wrong with such an engine.

Air cooled and oil cooler is not a bad idea in Thailand. It's a lot better than overheating water cooled engines.

And carburetors can be adjusted to make the bike run smooth. I have a new bike with fuel injection according to the newest emission standards. It runs very lean, at least under 4000RPM, and I can't do anything about it (except meddling with the electronic). Carburetors have their advantages in the modern world.

I'm a novice, the only engines I knew were the small 50cc in the moppeds I rode when a teenager ???? so I can only relay in my recent experience. I get that GPX just after having an Aerox, and I feel the GPX less powerful and, in general, less agile regarding acceleration.

Maybe I should adjust/fine tune my carburetor. In fact, when the bike is cold I need to use the "starter" for half a minute - I understand doing it back in Europe in the winter but here? But then when running hot, sometimes the rpm goes to 2000 when idle, so I don't feel good by touching the idle to get a better cold start and then having the engine running 2500rpm while stopped in a traffic light.

Do you recommend some info about adjusting a carburetor? Or maybe someone knows a good garage in Chiang Mai... I have tried 4 differents already, including the most famous-farang-owned one and the GPX official one, always pointed at the issue, and still have the issue.

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Thanks for the quick response and concise opinion. It was the touch of the retro look that attracted my attention. I've just got back from NZ where my son in law is into Harleys and keeps on about them not producing a model that would attract the younger element. They haven't changed their design much over the years and perhaps they could learn something from the up and coming bike designers. Thanks again. Safe riding. 

Yes, the look is pretty good, not so many bikes right now similar to this. Well, you have some Triumphs, Ducati... but AFAIK there's no a small engine (and affordable) cafe racer similar to the Gentleman.

About the younger element... I tested a HD Iron 883 and liked it so much, both handling and look, I think it's a pretty younger look - but again, the price tag is not going to attract many youngers ????

12 minutes ago, aremesal said:

Maybe I should adjust/fine tune my carburetor. In fact, when the bike is cold I need to use the "starter" for half a minute - I understand doing it back in Europe in the winter but here? But then when running hot, sometimes the rpm goes to 2000 when idle, so I don't feel good by touching the idle to get a better cold start and then having the engine running 2500rpm while stopped in a traffic light.

Do you recommend some info about adjusting a carburetor? Or maybe someone knows a good garage in Chiang Mai... I have tried 4 differents already, including the most famous-farang-owned one and the GPX official one, always pointed at the issue, and still have the issue.

Obviously it's not just about the carburetor how powerful and engine is. And even a powerful engine in a heavy bike feels not so powerful. I remember when I was young I had a tuned 80cc and my friends a CBR250 which had nominally a lot more power. But my bike felt agile and his bike, when I test rode it, felt like a truck or something like that. But his acceleration and top speed was better than mine - even if it didn't feel like that.

When you have to use the choke in the morning  that is ok, even in this climate. If you wouldn't have to use it, not even after the bike off for a couple of days, that would be a sign that the carburetor is set too rich. But you don't have that problem so that sounds ok.

Obviously it might be still possible to optimize your bike's carburetor and maybe other settings. But I would only let an expert do that. Too many people know how to turn some screws but don't really know what the are doing. And "tuning" like removing the air filter or something like this feels often like more power because it makes more noised. But in reality it only makes more noise - not more power.

Visit an expert if you think you need one. Otherwise just enjoy the ride. Personally I am in BKK and don't know anybody up there.

• Like 1

There is a very good , but busy , motorcycle mechanic in Hang Dong. His name is Nung. His workshop is behind a display of spirit houses for sale , on the Northbound side of the Hang Dong / 108 road , almost opposite North Chiang Mai college. I believe he is on LINE. 

• Like 1

There is a very good , but busy , motorcycle mechanic in Hang Dong. His name is Nung. His workshop is behind a display of spirit houses for sale , on the Northbound side of the Hang Dong / 108 road , almost opposite North Chiang Mai college. I believe he is on LINE. 
Thank you! I have read about him before, but still pending for a visit - I live near San Sai, just in the other side of the city.

Someone told about a very small place hidden near the night bazar too...