how to read the power loading of an UPS

ETatBKK

hi there

I am loading up multiple computers and equipment to a APC SMC1000i 600 Watts UPS.  how could I monitor / log the power loading on the UPS ?

currently I am using APC's PowerChute app, but it only reads the input / output voltages and the battery voltage.  is there any 3rd party utility that I could read the loading wattage ?

thanks . . .

What is the point of all this ? just disconnect the cable of the UPS and see how long everything stays on. Then at least you know if it works or not. 

Unless you want to know power consumption then just buy a extra device and put it in front of your UPS

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

What is the point of all this ? just disconnect the cable of the UPS and see how long everything stays on. Then at least you know if it works or not. 

Unless you want to know power consumption then just buy a extra device and put it in front of your UPS

wow . . . that is a very pragmatic approach, almost forget !  then I know the ACTUAL battery run time and all the shutdown procedure.

what 'device' that I could put it in front of the UPS ?

You got power meters you can buy, i had one in the past. Its just something you put on a power socket and then plug the other plug in there.

Yes its a pragmatic approach, because then you also know if all outlets are connected to the battery. Some APC ups have also ports that are not connected to the battery but only protect against power surges.

The reason I said just disconnect and watch what happens is that you then got real life figures. Theory is one thing real figures an other. 

As I said I got 2 APC units one was real expensive around 15K the other around 6K. But I got 3 32 inch monitors a big PC with watercooling and an I7 pentium processor, a NAS drive, router and external harddisk and an other router. 

Most power outages here last a few minutes if they last longer then 15 minutes then it wont be fixed fast and your UPS is not going to help you. Besides working in the dark (if evening) without aircon is not that great.

Capture.JPG

thanks Rod

where you buy such power adaptor with digital meter ?

like your suggestion !  have similar setup with 2 heavy computers, couple of big monitors, NAS, router, even a light that avoids blackout . . . I can switch on every piece for an hour and then unplug the UPS power, and check and count the max loading.

technically need to program the shutdown sequence, just in case I am not around.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, ETatBKK said:

thanks Rod

where you buy such power adaptor with digital meter ?

like your suggestion !  have similar setup with 2 heavy computers, couple of big monitors, NAS, router, even a light that avoids blackout . . . I can switch on every piece for an hour and then unplug the UPS power, and check and count the max loading.

technically need to program the shutdown sequence, just in case I am not around.

I bought a meter like that on EBay, havent seen them here.

My remark is that your not going to save yourself from real long blackouts. I just see it as a way to prevent data loss. Not a way to work longer.

If you worry about it when your gone then yes you need something that shuts it down but that could be done with an usb connection ?

10 hours ago, robblok said:

My remark is that your not going to save yourself from real long blackouts. I just see it as a way to prevent data loss. Not a way to work longer.

If you worry about it when your gone then yes you need something that shuts it down but that could be done with an usb connection ?

YES, my UPS already connected with a USB for facilitating an auto shutdown, for safety close the work sessions and save the data.

many people ( I used to be the one ) think UPS can support a work session during a power break, YES for 3 minutes, NO for 10 minutes plus; unless you buy a very big UPS.

1 minute ago, ETatBKK said:

YES, my UPS already connected with a USB for facilitating an auto shutdown, for safety close the work sessions and save the data.

many people ( I used to be the one ) think UPS can support a work session during a power break, YES for 3 minutes, NO for 10 minutes plus; unless you buy a very big UPS.

I got a big one so 10 minutes + is not a problem. But in my area if it is longer then 5 minutes then it usually means hours. So for me its more a protection against short interruptions. 

Archived