Car window tinting regulations etc?

jabis

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its basic science - some of the visible light is being cut out. 

IF you are not full of it you will post a such a photo proving to us unequivocally that the tint on your windows does not cut out any light. 

Not according to fredob43. Still waiting for his pics of the window half down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not according to fredob43. Still waiting for his pics of the window half down.

I never said that it didn't cut out any light I said that I can see perfectly clearly. Day or night. Will try and put in snaps of same if TV will let me.

The front window is fully open and the rear is up. But it will give you some idea. Cant take lump into the middle of the Soi as there is some traffic. Hopefully you can see that there isn't much difference. Whatever not bad when you think of the Dark Black reflective tints I have all round.

Stuck a snap of that as well to save you looking back. 

Sorry for the late reply but I do have a life.

IMGP0023.JPG

IMGP0021.JPG

Edited by fredob43

fredob43 I have to admit that there is not a great deal of difference between window up or down in your pics, but I would like to see how it compares to being in a low lit car park, or at night, but not suggesting you go out and take more pics, I'll take your word that you can still see clearly out at night.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I never said that it didn't cut out any light I said that I can see perfectly clearly. Day or night. Will try and put in snaps of same if TV will let me.

The front window is fully open and the rear is up. But it will give you some idea. Cant take lump into the middle of the Soi as there is some traffic. Hopefully you can see that there isn't much difference. Whatever not bad when you think of the Dark Black reflective tints I have all round.

Stuck a snap of that as well to save you looking back. 

Sorry for the late reply but I do have a life.

IMGP0023.JPG

IMGP0021.JPG

The same pics taken at night would be useful....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

I have put in several snaps already. Bugger me how many do you want. Cant you see that there isn't much difference day time already???

Besides if I took the snaps at night my camera would be on auto flash and all it would show was it's flash reflection in the windows. Anyone that had half a clue would know that. 

You'll just have to except my word that I can see perfectly well at night.

Let me refer you to a post above from the OP who has now had his sorted. He also states that his new Black tints enables him to see at night, good enough for him anyway.   

Edited by fredob43

27 minutes ago, fredob43 said:
3 hours ago, transam said:

I have put in several snaps already. Bugger me how many do you want. Cant you see that there isn't much difference day time already???

Besides if I took the snaps at night my camera would be on auto flash and all it would show was it's flash reflection in the windows. Anyone that had half a clue would know that. 

You'll just have to except my word that I can see perfectly well at night.

Let me refer you to a post above from the OP who has now had his sorted. He also states that his new tints enables him to see at night, good enough for him anyway.  

The snaps you've taken have been helpful.

But, as I mentioned, I'm not yet aware of a window film that doesn't cut out some of the visible light and impact night time vision, I am also yet to be made aware of a camera on which the flash cannot be turned off.... 

The discussion has moved on to night time vision and the fact that when using film on car windows some visible light is blocked which will impact night time visibility more-so than it impacts day time visibility. 

You disagree with this (your prerogative), but you have provided photo evidence, but not the type of photo evidence which handles the issue of diminished night time visibility.

And now you are saying we'll have to take your word for it...  I don't... I don't take anyones word for it who suggests Night Time vision is not detrimentally impacted by film and that they can see perfectly well.

Its the same as the guy who's has drunk alcohol and suggests he can drive perfectly well... its a subjective argument proven wrong by fact.

Perhaps you mean... there is diminished night time visibility as a result of your film / tint, but its not significant enough to give you concern as you believe its within safe limits. 

I think this opinion would be fair enough.

I have film on my car, I know it impacts night time visibility to some degree which is offset by the reduced risk of reduced glare in the day time.

Added to this we drive only within the city at night and not on pitch black country roads where the rear lights of a sugar-cane truck struggling along at 40kph are already difficult enough to see without any film. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Drive a car with dark tint at night in the typically poorly lit conditions found in Thailand, throw in some heavy rain and the Thai proclivity for driving motorcycles without lights against the traffic... accident waiting to happen... but if you're happy then it's all good.

A couple of hours ago we were in an underground carpark. A car in front of us took four goes to reverse park a Yaris into a space big enough to park a Hummer... my wife without any prompting said... look at that cars windows, they're so dark they can't see how to park... and now I'm reading this topic ????

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The snaps you've taken have been helpful.

But, as I mentioned, I'm not yet aware of a window film that doesn't cut out some of the visible light and impact night time vision, I am also yet to be made aware of a camera on which the flash cannot be turned off.... 

The discussion has moved on to night time vision and the fact that when using film on car windows some visible light is blocked which will impact night time visibility more-so than it impacts day time visibility. 

You disagree with this (your prerogative), but you have provided photo evidence, but not the type of photo evidence which handles the issue of diminished night time visibility.

And now you are saying we'll have to take your word for it...  I don't... I don't take anyones word for it who suggest Night Time vision is not impacted by film or that they can see perfectly well. 

Its the same as the guy who's had 5 pints and suggests he can drive perfectly well.

Perhaps you mean... there is diminished night time visibility as a result of your film / tint, but its not significant enough to give you concern as you believe its within safe limits. 

I think this opinion would be fair enough. I have film on my car, I know it impacts night time visibility to some degree which is offset by the reduced risk of reduced glare in the day time. Added to this we drive only within the city at night and not on pitch black country roads where the rear lights of a sugar-cane truck struggling along at 40kph are already difficult enough to see without any film. 

I have put in lots of snaps yet everyone wanted more. This I complied with but still it seems not enough.

If anyone wants more proof suggest they come to my place and you can see first hand that I'm not talking out of my Butt.

Or even better go to a tint place and see what they now have in stock Tint wise.

Re turn off flash. My camera wouldn't show anything night time if I did that. Unless I put it on a tripod with some sort of delay. Any idea of how I could do that in the middle of a road at night I don't know. And have no intention of trying.

20 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I have put in lots of snaps yet everyone wanted more. This I complied with but still it seems not enough.

If anyone wants more proof suggest they come to my place and you can see first hand that I'm not talking out of my Butt.

Or even better go to a tint place and see what they now have in stock Tint wise.

Re turn off flash. My camera wouldn't show anything night time if I did that. Unless I put it on a tripod with some sort of delay. Any idea of how I could do that in the middle of a road at night I don't know. And have no intention of trying.

Will you put on tea and biscuits ??? I don't think you really want a bunch of ThaiVisa.com posters at your place, right?

Most modern phones will handle a 'night shot' without a flash - should be enough to see the difference. But if you don't have a modern phone and can only rely on an older camera then I can understand why its too much effort just to prove or disprove a point.

They day time shots do show a negligible difference and that is helpful when regarding day time driving. But photos in the day time mean nothing for the discussion on the impact tint / film will have on night time visibility. 

OP here, the medium priced 3M film I opted to for side windows in night time condition, with single halogen beam directly above in my driveway ( the top product would've been ~2x more expensive, but less obtrusive to night time driving ). The level of tinting is shown in my previous post #24

???? 
image.thumb.png.c1733a176cadd147ee3a13f37074e9f7.png

And here the anti-glare/anti-uv film on windscreen -> both seem equally disruptive to low light condition (the front passenger window is down):  
image.thumb.png.e668e5005fa0aa34b78f9baee1a4a834.png

Edited by jabis
  • Like 2

But it seems tint films are not all equal....My Vigo had dark blue film (not on the Screen) which was a real pain in the ass at night, just bought a small pristine black run around that has matching black tint, hmmm, I thought, have to get that removed..On sitting in the car the windows were near clear, drove it with no probs at all. Anyhoooo, at night there is no ploblem, very different to the Vigo's film...I haven't removed the film on the run around.... ????

PS...Could it be I have recently had both my eye lens's replaced (Cataracts)..????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Will you put on tea and biscuits ??? I don't think you really want a bunch of ThaiVisa.com posters at your place, right?

Most modern phones will handle a 'night shot' without a flash - should be enough to see the difference. But if you don't have a modern phone and can only rely on an older camera then I can understand why its too much effort just to prove or disprove a point.

They day time shots do show a negligible difference and that is helpful when regarding day time driving. But photos in the day time mean nothing for the discussion on the impact tint / film will have on night time visibility. 

I didn't say I would put on tea and biscuits. I just said come along and I will prove you were wrong with your assumptions.

My phone is a new type but I only use it for phone calls. Only have that as it has Blue tooth. Never take snaps of anything. If I want to do that I use my camera.

As you say the snaps I took day time show little or only a slight drop in vision. Proving me correct with my statement of I can see under all conditions. Well at least day time.

Suggest you go to your local Tint shop and see what's now available then you will be as knowledgeable as others. They might cost a tad more but at least you will be able to see ok in all conditions like I can. Or you could try Speck Savers.

T/A has put a post in regarding his tints. His old 13 years tints he had on his Vigo were the one's you cant see out of but they as stated were old and you couldn't see bugger all night time with those. I have driven lumps with the old type mid dark tints and I couldn't see bugger all under any conditions. Night time I was almost blind. And had to wind all the windows down to even see a bit.

Things have improved with all tints now. His new ride with dark tints according to him he can see fine. Day or Night. Maybe you'll believe him.  

Edited by fredob43

Still some idiots remain convinced i sit here clear day, front Widows open , rears closed with only the factory 10 % we all have. Im a freak i cant see through the closed window. Yeah tints are better.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm sure all the clever guys know but.....

When approaching a police road block lower both your side windows. This allows the police to see into your car and know who is driving. 

Not only is it polite, it reveals you have nothing to hide!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm sure all the clever guys know but.....

When approaching a police road block lower both your side windows. This allows the police to see into your car and know who is driving. 

Not only is it polite, it reveals you have nothing to hide!

Yes... I have received the same advice from friends who also suggest at night to turn on your interior light... its easy for the Police at the road block to just take a quick glance at you and wave you on your way without any delay.... 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... I have received the same advice from friends who also suggest at night to turn on your interior light... its easy for the Police at the road block to just take a quick glance at you and wave you on your way without any delay.... 

Once I said hello and give them a big wai. They smiled and waved me on, not expecting to see a farang behind the wheel. I think they were gonna breath test me (we were near a brewery), but think they completely forgot ????