Trump threatens closure of U.S.-Mexico border next week to stem asylum surge

rooster59

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

But scapegoating these mostly poor desperate people is another level.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

scapegoating?

just how many poor people should be allowed to break the law and trample on a

nation's sovereignty?

what would satisfy your kind soul?

50 million?

5 million?

how many should get assistance in housing or snap cards or medical care? what should we budget for

this perpetual act of kindness?

50 billion?

200 billion?

why stop there?

or just ask congress to fix the loopholes they refuse to fix perhaps?

or just blame trump for decades of legislative malpractice and incompetence he has had nothing

to do with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing is for sure- Trump ( or the defacto POTUS- soyboy Jared Kushner ) will have indelibly branded the Republican Party as the anti-immigrant party without making any substantial or lasting change in immigration policy. That is a fact

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

scapegoating?

just how many poor people should be allowed to break the law and trample on a

nation's sovereignty?

what would satisfy your kind soul?

50 million?

5 million?

how many should get assistance in housing or snap cards or medical care? what should we budget for

this perpetual act of kindness?

50 billion?

200 billion?

why stop there?

or just ask congress to fix the loopholes they refuse to fix perhaps?

or just blame trump for decades of legislative malpractice and incompetence he has had nothing

to do with.

Yes. 

Scapegoating.

Obviously. 

A classic propaganda tool of authoritarian demagogues throughout the ages.

It's sick making that even a minority of Americans (45's base) buys into this kind of toxic hate mongering garbage.

Trump wants to limit immigration. He’s scapegoating immigrants in the process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/26/trump-wants-to-limit-immigration-hes-scapegoating-immigrants-in-the-process/?utm_term=.b62fd351e3a9

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

45 doesn't actually even want to solve these immigration problems. 

His entire game is keeping the rhetoric super hot to keep his never wavering (but perpetual minority) base fired up. 

That is just silly. There is no doubt that Trump wants to solve the problem. The issue, as Tucker has pointed out, is that Trump simply isn't politically competent enough. But what options do the Patriotic Americans who voted in to office have? The Democrats and virtually all other Republicans literally want us dead and our country overrun. That is what Trump doesn't get. He thinks he an hire these people who are "respected" by the Establishment and they will do what he wants or at the very least act in the best interest of his country. He just doesn't get what he is up against. Trump thinks what is happening at the border is because Democrats and Establishment Republicans are stupid. He still doesn't seem to understand that everything that is happening right now is by design. Bad laws that are allowing a literal invasion of America are a feature to these people, not a bug. If I were in charge, I not only wouldn't let 75% of the people Trump has welcomed in to his White House anywhere near government, I'd actually have the bulk of them hanged.  

The only option people have is try to raise enough of a stink that Trump is shamed in to action. Ann Coulter, Lou Dobbs, and Tucker Carlson are literally America's only hope. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Do you ever do anything other than deflect?

I’m not deflecting Cryingdick, I have in the past read with horror and a great deal of genuine sympathy for you in your account of having been persecuted.

When I read your vociferous support for the persecution of others on the basis of what and who they are, what and who they are not more, I don’t feel the slightest compulsion to deflect from the point of view you express, rather I find it shocking, something I would like to understand.

I am genuinely curious how, on the basis of your own life experiences that you have shared here on TVF, how it is you can support the persecution of others on the basis of what and who they are, what and who they are not?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Thursday that tackling illegal immigration is an issue chiefly for the United States and the Central American countries to address.

Ah, so nothing to do with the fact that Mexico is allowing illegal immigrants into Mexico provided their destination is the US?

IMO, Trump has an opportunity to sort a few campaign promises by shutting the border for an extended length of time.

1/ American businesses that depend on Mexico to provide some of their components may feel that it would be better to make such in the US, thus increasing employment in the US for manual workers.

2/ it will disrupt the entry of drugs, criminals and illegals into the US.

3/ he may be able to get Mexico to pay for the wall in return for reopening the border.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. 

Scapegoating.

Obviously. 

A classic propaganda tool of authoritarian demagogues throughout the ages.

It's sick making that even a minority of Americans (45's base) buys into this kind of toxic hate mongering garbage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/06/26/trump-wants-to-limit-immigration-hes-scapegoating-immigrants-in-the-process/?utm_term=.b62fd351e3a9

complete baseless nonsense. 

Being against unfettered illegal immigration and the people who allow it is not scapegoating, racist or wrong.

wanting to actually control immigration is vital to sovereignty.

but keep up the moral preening.

if the WAPO issues another biased opinion piece  labeled as "Analysis" you can reference that too.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not deflecting Cryingdick, I have in the past read with horror and a great deal of genuine sympathy for you in your account of having been persecuted.

When I read your vociferous support for the persecution of others on the basis of what and who they are, what and who they are not more, I don’t feel the slightest compulsion to deflect from the point of view you express, rather I find it shocking, something I would like to understand.

I am genuinely curious how, on the basis of your own life experiences that you have shared here on TVF, how it is you can support the persecution of others on the basis of what and who they are, what and who they are not?

they are not being persecuted for anything.

They are purposely, illegally crossing the border and it should never be tolerated. 

it has nothing to do with where they come from, who they are or why they are doing it.

what is so difficult to understand?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I may reply to this later when I have more time.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't worry about it. 

Just more empty threats that he will act like never happened in a day or two, and the party that he now owns, and his loyal fans will never hold him accountable for. 

Although he does play a dictator on reality t.v., he doesn't actually have the power to literally close the border.

People need to IGNORE him more. 

As I said before it's just a ploy to fire up his base that doesn't actually expect real things from him but feeds on the hateful drama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2018/12/28/press-should-stop-playing-along-with-trumps-threat-close-border/

so, you have magical powers that see inside heads and hearts of over 60 million people?

or is it just another liberal pseudo intellectual assumption based on an unfounded moral 

superiority backed up by nothing other than a failed ideology?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

so, you have magical powers that see inside heads and hearts of over 60 million people?

or is it just another liberal pseudo intellectual assumption based on an unfounded moral 

superiority backed up by nothing other than a failed ideology?

It's based on my observation of the most unfit American president in history. The man shouldn't be president of a condo board, much less the (maybe not for much longer) most powerful nation on earth. 

BTW -- who in their right mind actually BELIEVES he is going to LITERALLY shut down the southern border? He can't. He won't. Shutting down the border means shutting down access to legal crossers. It's a total B.S. threat. As I said, such bombastic empty threats need to be IGNORED. Like you'd ignore a toddler having a tantrum. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's based on my observation of the most unfit American president in history. The man shouldn't be president of a condo board, much less the (maybe not for much longer) most powerful nation on earth. 

BTW -- who in their right mind actually BELIEVES he is going to LITERALLY shut down the southern border? He can't. He won't. Shutting down the border means shutting down access to legal crossers. It's a total B.S. threat. As I said, such bombastic empty threats need to be IGNORED. Like you'd ignore a toddler having a tantrum. 

so your observation is just an opinion of a seriously biased irrationally triggered person.

just so we are clear on what this is

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

so your observation is just an opinion of a seriously biased irrationally triggered person.

just so we are clear on what this is

We? No.

I'm not buying into your "trump" fan rhetoric so don't even bother pushing that bubble down my throat. You speak for you. That's legit. You do NOT speak for me. 

Back to topic -- I would like to ask you to honestly answer this question.

We hear the threat.

A meaningful threat means that the person saying the threat might actually go through with it.

Do you actually honestly think that 45 will LITERALLY close the border? Literally close all legal border entry points? Literally ban all legal crossers, including of course massive numbers of cargo trucks, American and Mexican citizens?

I don't. That's why I say the rational thing is to ignore threats that clearly will never be carried out. 

He is the president.

Sometimes he needs to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately, but true. 

But when he's clearly spewing bombastic threats that clearly will never happen, he totally deserves to be ignored.

Edited by Jingthing

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We? No.

I'm not buying into your "trump" fan rhetoric so don't even bother pushing that bubble down my throat. You speak for you. That's legit. You do NOT speak for me. 

Back to topic -- I would like to ask you to honestly answer this question.

We hear the threat.

A meaningful threat means that the person saying the threat might actually go through with it.

Do you actually honestly think that 45 will LITERALLY close the border? Literally close all legal border entry points? Literally ban all legal crossers, including of course massive numbers of cargo trucks, American and Mexican citizens?

I don't. That's why I say the rational thing is to ignore threats that clearly will never be carried out. 

He is the president.

Sometimes he needs to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately, but true. 

But when he's clearly spewing bombastic threats that clearly will never happen, he totally deserves to be ignored.

I think he should immediately hit all wire transfers to mexico with a 10 percent charge just to start with, then if

needed start closing border crossings for a few days to get the mexican govt to actually police their border. then raise the remittance

charges again if they don't show any actual interest in their responsibilities.

time for serious measures for serious problems..

we know congress will continue to do nothing to actually fix the issues.

god forbid someone takes the problem seriously, unless you think there is no problem of course.

If he does do something like it, you will chastise, if he doesn't, you'll chastise and continue the 

rhetoric.

Edited by elmrfudd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But he won't literally shut the border. That is obvious to all.

Why threat what you won't ever do?

Eventually you get a boy who cried wolf too many times.

We're there.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He does it because he can count on an over the top reaction and when he gets it he can say "see, I told you they were horrible". Then he moves on to the next chaotic fiasco. 

• Confused 1

Posts and replies in violation of the following have been removed:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes, colors or use unusually large emoticons. It can be difficult to read.

The above includes copy and pasting headlines with large fonts from News articles.