Dengue

Rig Pig

I recently contracted Dengue Fever, it took me almost 3 months to recover. I was told by a local aquaintance "you are ok now, you can't catch it again".

Can anyone confirm the veracity of this claim?? Would be nice to know. Thanks.

Not correct.

You can catch Dengue several times. 

(There are several types of Dengue, immunity against one type doesn't give you immunity against the other types.  On the contrary,  a second infection may be more serious than the first infection, it depends on the types).

There are 5 serotypes of Dengue. Immunity is type specific.

So you will nto get the same type again but you can get another type.

There is some degree of cross-immunity. While this can lead to subsequent infections being milder it can also predispose one to the most severe form of dengue (Dengue Hemorrhagic fever).

I've had it 3 times, eyars ago. 1st was severe, second two mild, so mild I wasn't even sure it was dengue till the rash broke.

There is a vaccine for dengue. It is recommended only for people who have had at least one strain previously i.e. are seropositive because in seronegative people, while it reduces the incidence of dengue by around 60%, it also increases the risk of severe dengue in those who do get it.

if your infection was proven by serology you might want to consider getting the vaccine

https://www.who.int/immunization/research/development/dengue_q_and_a/en/

Archived