Selling a Car

offset

Go to the DLT office with a Recidense Certificate or yellow house book, passport copies and the buyer with similar documents (if he/she's a farang). Fill in the document handed to you (same for the buyer), receive the payment for the car. That's it.

Do I have to go to the DLT

The person the is buying the car says I only need to give them a copy of my driving licence and they can do it  I am being told that they will give me the cash for the car and a bill of sale and will sort out the blue book themselves because the DLT closed today

13 minutes ago, offset said:

The person the is buying the car says I only need to give them a copy of my driving licence and they can do it  I am being told that they will give me the cash for the car and a bill of sale and will sort out the blue book themselves because the DLT closed today

You do not have to go to DLT, but there are forms for a farang/folk to sign and copy of passport.....Just sold my Vigo and the bloke came back with the forms etc to sign as well as wanting a copy of PP....Not sure but I think they wanted a copy of my PP Visa page..

23 minutes ago, offset said:

I would wait until tomorrow.

It is a dealer that is buying the car and I am told that they require a copy of my Passport, Driving licence and Rental agreement and they say there is a form for me to sign so I am guessing they know what they need, I will keep a copy of the Blue Book and get a invoice from them for the sale of the car

I am going to get cash for the car and an invoice so I do not really see a problem with the blue book I think I will ask him for a copy of his ID card

If you don't want to go to the DLT
you'll need to sign a "power of attorney" form...depending on province you may also have to supply a "certificate of residence" from immigration.

Definitely get a "receipt of sale" and copy of the new buyer/dealer ID card.

To be safe - accompany the buyer to the Transportation Office and make the title changes together.  Think liability.  You sell the car, but your buyer does not change the title and registration - guess who is on the hook.  You're buyer runs over a motorcyclist and guess who the authorities will come after.

I've bought an sold a few vehicles.  I always insist that we meet at the Transportation Office and conduct the official transfers there.  If you don't trust the buyer, take a non-refundable down payment and don't hand the vehicle over until the blue book / green book has been officially changed.

Think that's too much of a hassle.  Ok.  Up to you.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:15 AM, mahjongguy said:

It's a bad idea to sell any kind of vehicle without being 100% sure that it's been transferred out of your name.

And don't forget to cancel your private insurance asap.

Actually don't cancel your private insurance until the title has been changed.  That insurance is protecting your behind.

What if what if you are in different provinces? I have the car and been making payments to them which finish in July. Do we have to get together to transfer the title? She is the daughter of a friend,so they are trustworthy....they trusted me, so I should trust her. Can we do it by mail? Thanks guys.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, connda said:

To be safe - accompany the buyer to the Transportation Office and make the title changes together.  Think liability.  You sell the car, but your buyer does not change the title and registration - guess who is on the hook.  You're buyer runs over a motorcyclist and guess who the authorities will come after.

I've bought an sold a few vehicles.  I always insist that we meet at the Transportation Office and conduct the official transfers there.  If you don't trust the buyer, take a non-refundable down payment and don't hand the vehicle over until the blue book / green book has been officially changed.

Think that's too much of a hassle.  Ok.  Up to you.

Well I have taken a chance but have got a bill of sale, a sighed copy of his ID card and a signed copy of the Blue book 

I understand your worry about having an accident but I guess if he had an accident it would be covered by the insurance (class 1) which I let him have has part of the deal

On 4/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, Mansell said:

Do we have to get together to transfer the title?

No you just need  her to sign a copy of ID card, the blue book,transfer form and a

"power of attorney form" then goto your local main DLT and do all the changes there or pay an agent to do it for you..(but you still need the correct paperwork) print forms front and back on same sheet of paper not 2 separate pieces.

cor own_.pdf   ( transfer)

Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdf933143209_bluebook.thumb.jpg.bf65b5347efbfb532a03c8922abc59e3.jpg1309557460_Englishexample_transferenglish.png.16fea246012113b8382b87be73ab80f8.png1793737183_Englishexample_powerofattorney_umnart.thumb.png.1048c399793375ca88e756cf143468bc.png

Archived