Canadian Embassy income affidavit

Thanks  for the quick response,

If I get the income affidavit  from the Canadian embassy am I still required to have 1.6 million baht on deposit for 12 months for retirement extension?

Do I just show the immigration officer the  income affidavit  from the Canadian embassy and everything is good.

What is required to get a retirement visa or what  is the process ? 

I am trying to avoid opening a bank account and transferring funds. Can this be avoided by showing the income affidavit from the Canadian embassy?

thx

D

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, dmcrory said:

If I get the income affidavit  from the Canadian embassy am I still required to have 1.6 million baht on deposit for 12 months for retirement extension?

No need to show 800k baht in the bank if you have proof of income from an embassy. Where are you getting the 1.6 million number from.

5 minutes ago, dmcrory said:

Do I just show the immigration officer the  income affidavit  from the Canadian embassy and everything is good.

What is required to get a retirement visa or what  is the process ? 

You could be asked for back up proof for the statutory declaration when you apply for the extension of stay.

What is your current visa or extension status?

Do you currently have a non-o visa entry? If not you will need to apply for one prior to applying for the extension.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could be asked for back up proof for the statutory declaration when you apply for the extension of stay.

In order to get an income verification letter from the  Canadian Embassy you WILL be required to submit documentary evidence of your monthly income. The Embassy requires such evidence in order to protect itself "in case there are any questions from Immigration" (I was told).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmcrory said:

Does the Canadian embassy still do income affidavits and does Thai immigration still except them.

About 10 days ago I put up a news item that the Canadian government had just issued.  They are now recording details of persons leaving Canada in order to try to cut back on the number of claims that people make about their CPP and OAS.  They are aware that many Canadians leave the country and stay

out longer than the prescribed allowed time, i.e. six months a year, and still collect their benefits.  This is being done at all ports of exit with very few exceptions.  They are obtaining details about people leaving by plane, train, car, bus, and ship and one of the main focus points is the date and time of leaving.  When a person returns, that is then matched with the person's details of leaving the country.  No mention was made as to whether Canadian Embassies are involved in the data collection.

My original posting was just a heads up to Canadians to let them know what is happening.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

About 10 days ago I put up a news item that the Canadian government had just issued.  They are now recording details of persons leaving Canada in order to try to cut back on the number of claims that people make about their CPP and OAS.  They are aware that many Canadians leave the country and stay

out longer than the prescribed allowed time, i.e. six months a year, and still collect their benefits.  This is being done at all ports of exit with very few exceptions.  They are obtaining details about people leaving by plane, train, car, bus, and ship and one of the main focus points is the date and time of leaving.  When a person returns, that is then matched with the person's details of leaving the country.  No mention was made as to whether Canadian Embassies are involved in the data collection.

My original posting was just a heads up to Canadians to let them know what is happening.

'nuf sed.

Could you direct me to the pages at the Canadian government website that states that OAS and CPP will be cut-off at 6 months? My understanding comes from this page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-benefit/while-receiving.html

For OAS, there are restrictio

ns on where you reside, IF you have less than 20 years of residence in Canada, after age 18. Even then though, it’s not as simple as 1 day less than 6 months of absence. It is true that your OAS benefit will be suspended (if you have less than 20 years of residence in Canada as described above) if you leave Canada for more than 6 months. Ongoing eligibility however, depends on where you actually reside, rather than any specific amount of presence in Canada. Residence is defined as where you “make your home and are ordinarily present”.

Edited by Banana7

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed.

I heard about this last year. I have now applied for and was granted non-resident status. With that all my Canadian source income is now subject to the 25% withholding tax. However there is a form NR 5 that enables you to have that reduced after the first year.Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

I heard about this last year. I have now applied for and was granted non-resident status. With that all my Canadian source income is now subject to the 25% withholding tax. However there is a form NR 5 that enables you to have that reduced after the first year.Dave

My understanding is that the withholding tax is only applied if you don't file personal tax returns. Since you're a non-resident, I guess you wouldn't file a return.

If tax is withheld, you can always get it back if you file a return, to reconcile the taxes to ensure fairness, and avoid overpayment.

19 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed.

Hijacking the thread with fake news is not nice. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Goethe said:

In order to get an income verification letter from the  Canadian Embassy you WILL be required to submit documentary evidence of your monthly income. The Embassy requires such evidence in order to protect itself "in case there are any questions from Immigration" (I was told).

That is true, last October, when I went to the Canadian Embassy for my Income Verification letter, they wanted documentation to show the funds. I showed them my current tax return and that was accepted. Also Thai immigration also wanted the same documents that I used, so I gave them a copy as well and had no problems.

3 minutes ago, dsj said:

That is true, last October, when I went to the Canadian Embassy for my Income Verification letter, they wanted documentation to show the funds. I showed them my current tax return and that was accepted. Also Thai immigration also wanted the same documents that I used, so I gave them a copy as well and had no problems.

What tax document did you show? Tax assessment that is provided by CRA after you have filed?

Does the OAS 20 year rule apply if you lived in Canada for say 15 years then lived somewhere else for 5 years then you return to Canada and live say another 5 years?

I was always under the impression that OAS does not apply for people living outside Canada for more than 6 months, so I wasn't worried about not receiving it when the time comes. However, if this is not the case, it may be worthwhile to return to Canada as it is definitely a nice extra income.

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

My understanding is that the withholding tax is only applied if you don't file personal tax returns. Since you're a non-resident, I guess you wouldn't file a return.

If tax is withheld, you can always get it back if you file a return, to reconcile the taxes to ensure fairness, and avoid overpayment.

The reason they hold that money back is that each of us that live here but are paid by Canada is supposed to report our income and file a tax return here in Thailand.  The money goes to the Thai government through an agreement.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Goethe said:

When you go to immigration they will want to see the letter and the source of your income.  I also use the Canadian Embassy and that is what they did when I extended they kept the letter and the bank statements.

The reason that the Canadian Embassy still does this is unlike most that simply trusted that people would be honest they decided that they wanted proof and always have.

If your money is deposited in a Canadian Bank then simply print out the last 6 months bank statement highlight the payments showing that it is the same each onth and they will be happy and take them with you 

48 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Does the OAS 20 year rule apply if you lived in Canada for say 15 years then lived somewhere else for 5 years then you return to Canada and live say another 5 years?

LINK is where you will find the details.  It will become more complicated but also to your benefit if since departing Canada, you have lived in one of the 50+ countries with which Canada has signed a Social Security Agreement.  List of countries is found at this link --> LIST.

I filed for my OAS last year in Sep.  I Ieft Canuckland when I was 34 but lived in USA for next 30+ years.  They looked at my application for 6 months before determining I had only lived there 16 years past 18 (Sheesh!)  Now they've sent it off to some other department for more figurin'.  They already had all my info since I had worked for a Canadian company in the USA and I had chosen to pay CPP rather than USA Soc. Security taxes.  My application should be a cakewalk.

I hope you don't need the money right now or even this year!

PS Canada does NOT have a Social Security Agreement with Thailand but has a very comprehensive one with USA

Edited by gamb00ler

20 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed.

Not yet. The system of airlines supplying passenger manifests will not be ready until around the first quarter or 2020. 

See the last Quick Fact in this government press release for further information regarding OAS.

Bill C-21 on "border management."

Regarding the embassy letter. I will need to renew my extension in mid-summer.

I recently personally visited the embassy in Bangkok to see how I can present to them my government pension income. They said I can just do a screen capture of my pension account with the ID and amount. I will be adding this info to my company pension letter, which I've used alone for years. This year, due to horrible exchange rate, I will have to add another pension source to my documents for immigration. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

LINK is where you will find the details.  It will become more complicated but also to your benefit if since departing Canada, you have lived in one of the 50+ countries with which Canada has signed a Social Security Agreement.  List of countries is found at this link --> LIST.

I filed for my OAS last year in Sep.  I Ieft Canuckland when I was 34 but lived in USA for next 30+ years.  They looked at my application for 6 months before determining I had only lived there 16 years past 18 (Sheesh!)  Now they've sent it off to some other department for more figurin'.  They already had all my info since I had worked for a Canadian company in the USA and I had chosen to pay CPP rather than USA Soc. Security taxes.  My application should be a cakewalk.

I hope you don't need the money right now or even this year!

PS Canada does NOT have a Social Security Agreement with Thailand but has a very comprehensive one with USA

Well, since OAS doesn't kick in until 67, I still have around 22 years to make up for it.

I think I have spent a total of 18 or 19 years in Canada (since 18), but for another 2 years I was still a tax resident while in Thailand and paying regular income tax.  I guess I'll ask my accountant, but it seems like it would be a good idea to buy a condo in Calgary and become a tax resident again. It would also benefit me greatly as Alberta is the only province where you can get free healthcare on day one instead of waiting the usual 3 months. It is also the only province in Canada where they don't give you a headache if you want to rent out your place on AirBnB (for now).

Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

When you go to immigration they will want to see the letter and the source of your income.  I also use the Canadian Embassy and that is what they did when I extended they kept the letter and the bank statements.

The reason that the Canadian Embassy still does this is unlike most that simply trusted that people would be honest they decided that they wanted proof and always have.

If your money is deposited in a Canadian Bank then simply print out the last 6 months bank statement highlight the payments showing that it is the same each onth and they will be happy and take them with you 

That's nice the CAN embassy will look at a printed document like a bank statement or pension letter and issue a declaration to be used at Thai IM. It's not verifying directly with the source like the embassies who stopped were told they must do (or the embassies misunderstood), but if it works that's great...

Edited by JohnnyBD

Friend just filed retirement extension on Cdn. Emb. letter.

No change from last year.

Bizarrely the TI office requires me to get my marriage letter verified at Chaeng Wattana.

The reason they gave was "forgery".

Doesn't really make any sense since, presumably, you could fake the retirement income also. But TIT.

Just a heads up that you should check with your local office. There are only a few asking for CW verification.

As to CPP and OAS, if you are eligible in Canada, no change if living abroad.

On taxes, if you are registered as a non-resident you pay the 25% with holding but can file a return in June (I think) if that would be more than you would pay in Canada to get a refund.

As someone pointed out I think you can then apply to have the amount reduced

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Psychic said:

Bizarrely the TI office requires me to get my marriage letter verified at Chaeng Wattana.

Marriage letter???

I assume you mean your stat dec from the embassy.

What they want is the consular officers signature on it verified. They apparently have gotten fake letters before.

Very few offices want it and most are near Bangkok.

48 minutes ago, Psychic said:

Friend just filed retirement extension on Cdn. Emb. letter.

No change from last year.

Where was it done? One of my friend was rejected with affidavit in Jomtien few weeks ago. IO said that affidavit currently is not acceptable. However, in HuaHin looks like it works well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Where was it done? One of my friend was rejected with affidavit in Jomtien few weeks ago. IO said that affidavit currently is not acceptable. However, in HuaHin looks like it works well.

A Canadian friend? If so, this is not good news for me or other Canadians renewing at Jomtien. 

21 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A Canadian friend? If so, this is not good news for me or other Canadians renewing at Jomtien. 

I would guess a request was made for "secondary documentation."  These are the types of documents (pension-docs, passport-country bank-statements) which immigration said they could not trust/accept in-lieu of embassy letters.  Somehow, these same documents are "ok" to demand, in order to deny in-person applicants who have what is officially required.  If you bring these, you may be OK.

If denied the extension, and walking out of that office with his paperwork still in-hand, a helpful "agent" may approach and offer to "fix" things - for a fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2019 at 11:47 PM, Psychic said:

As to CPP and OAS, if you are eligible in Canada, no change if living abroad.

There are different rules for eligibility for collecting while living outside Canada.  To summarize, you can only collect outside Canada if you have lived in Canada for a total of 20 years since you turned 18.  There are exceptions.  For the details see links I've posted in message #19 of this thread.

• Thanks 1