Nervous cough, what to use for a nights sleep

KhunBENQ

Since a few days my wife has this nervous ("dry") cough starting in the evening and through the night.

No big problem during daytime but bad in the evening/night.

I was at the pharmacy and hoped to get suitable med.

But what I got was cough solver (some Bromhexine stuff).

Obviously the wrong type.

Anyone know a brand name/active component to ask for at a Thai pharmacy?

(she currently not up to go to town with me)

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Try thyme, not easy to get in Thailand. 

If the cough doesn't subside in a couple of days she soul see a doctor. 

Easy enough to get Thyme here.... any of the plant markets selling herbs have it.   It's very easy to grown.  Or you can get the dry stuff at any supermarket (even the fresh stuff sometimes).

OP, if you wife is so ill she can not go out of the house with you to the drug store I strongly suggest there is more to her illness than a 'nervous cough' and you should take her to the hospital.

Try to find cough syrup containing dextromethorphan hydrobromide or google for this name and choose pictures , can see all the different brands here :

.https://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&biw=1366&bih=695&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=EPSgXNaeAt2UwgP5xbzYAw&q=cough+sirop+with+dextromethorphan+hydrobromide&oq=cough+sirop+with+dextromethorphan+hydrobromide&gs_l=img.12...362844.368807..372541...0.0..0.161.1652.9j7......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i7i30j0i8i7i30.t08BF5ZZeLw

I works against cough  and is a sleeping medicine as side effect , so in case attention on work ,driving  car or motorbike keep attention ...I used it also as a free over the counter sleeping medication in Europe home country 

images.jpg

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Try to find cough syrup containing dextromethorphan hydrobromide or google for this name and choose pictures , can see all the different brands here :

.https://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&biw=1366&bih=695&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=EPSgXNaeAt2UwgP5xbzYAw&q=cough+sirop+with+dextromethorphan+hydrobromide&oq=cough+sirop+with+dextromethorphan+hydrobromide&gs_l=img.12...362844.368807..372541...0.0..0.161.1652.9j7......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i7i30j0i8i7i30.t08BF5ZZeLw

I works against cough  and is a sleeping medicine as side effect , so in case attention on work ,driving  car or motorbike keep attention ...I used it also as a free over the counter sleeping medication in Europe home country 

images.jpg

Just go to any pharmacy and ask for dextromethorphan hydrobromide tablets.  You don't need a syrup, just the medicine. And if you get a runny nose, get phenylpropanolamine tablets, and for congestion get Guaifenesin. Treat the symptom you have, not the one you don't. A lot of the syrups have multiple ingredients and you may not need them all...

• Like 1

She is likely suffering from mucus in her sinuses slowly draining down her throat at night...treat the problem and the symptoms disappear also...consult a physician as to what is best for her particular situation... 

What is air-quality-index for your area...many people coughing as a result of breathing in pollution these days..

• Like 1

Thanks all for the hints!

That "brown mix", I should have known.

Remember having seen in the past and wondering about the "opium".

I recommended her to try it.

If it does not get better we will have to go the doctor (together, have my own problems currently, skin related :dry:).

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

That's not a drug related to enalapril.

Correct. Though often given in combo with it.

If amlodipine is the only BP med she is on then that is not the cause.

But do double check this as in Thailand they usually give enalapril as the first choice and add, rather than substitute, amlodipine if enalapril by itself is not sufficient.  (Though amlodipine can be taken by itself).

I just noted you are in Khon Kaen, I believe air quality there not bad so pollution not likely. That leaves allergy (causing post nasal drip at night, which irritates the throat) or more serious problem as likely causes.

Dry cough is sometimes a sign of heart problem or underlying lung disease. usually not, allergy or irritation from a dirty a/c filter are more common culprits, but it can be so keep that in mind and consider consulting a doctor if it persists.

Air quality in Khonkhaen has been very poor lately,  lots of sugar cane burning. Bad air in every single district of the province was reported in the newspaper that cannot be named. 

Today AQI is 149, pretty poor (150 is called unhealthy for everybody,  not just sensitive persons) and much worse than Bangkok, which is mostly in the 60s and 70s.

Screenshot_20190401-235815_Chrome.jpg

On 3/31/2019 at 11:45 PM, uhuh said:

Try thyme, not easy to get in Thailand. 

If the cough doesn't subside in a couple of days she soul see a doctor. 

not easy to get ??? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

THYME it is in every tesco, big c, villa market

make a tea with it, a teaspoon, boiling water, let stand for 10 min

but I would say:  A teaspoon of REAL honey ...

no need for chemical CRAP with an armlength of side effects

Edited by justin case
  • Confused 1

My girlfriend had the same thing for months. She refused to go to the doctor and tried every OTC cough medicine. Nothing worked. She finally went to the doctor. The doctor gave her a codeine based cough medicine. It fixed her up within 2 days. Tell your wife to see a doctor.

• Like 1

Air quality in Khonkhaen has been very poor lately,  lots of sugar cane burning. Bad air in every single district of the province was reported in the newspaper that cannot be named. 
Today AQI is 149, pretty poor (150 is called unhealthy for everybody,  not just sensitive persons) and much worse than Bangkok, which is mostly in the 60s and 70s.

Screenshot_20190401-235815_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9be06f9bd8bcf8847fc27ad091a7f75.jpg
That coukd be it then

If so a home air purifier s) and mask putside might help.

And all the mire need to keep a/c clean.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just as a precaution, I would take her to the hospital for a check up.  My late Wife developed a cough, which became persistent and after a week, went to our Doctor.  He sent her to the Hospital immediately where sadly she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  6 weeks later very sadly we lost her.  Sorry to scare mounger, but you might agree, "better to be safe than sorry".

• Like 2

My problems in january started also with a dry cough and also only at night. I tried some cough syrup and also antibiotics given by the pharmacist. It did not help. I could not sleep and I became very weak. I went to see a doctor after 2 weeks. He gave me another kind of antibiotics for two more weeks and it did not stop the cough either and I still felt very weak. He then gave me medicine for allergy and I had to take it for 4 weeks before it worked. So, as others said, I would tell you go to see a doctor as soon as possible. And I believe also it is related to pollution. I believe that here in Phuket they lie about the quality of the air to keep the tourists coming. I am a person in good health usually and this was really not normal.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, Puchaiyank said:

She is likely suffering from mucus in her sinuses slowly draining down her throat at night...treat the problem and the symptoms disappear also...consult a physician as to what is best for her particular situation... 

What is air-quality-index for your area...many people coughing as a result of breathing in pollution these days..

This is the exact problem she has. When she's lying down, the mucus drips on her throat and irritates it, causing her to cough. Daytime, when she's standing, this doesn't happen. Pollution is definitely a reason. Now, as to the cure: steaming thrice a day a minute each time, gargling with warm saline water, any anti-tussive lozenge (Ricola works as well sometimes). 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, justin case said:

not easy to get ??? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

THYME it is in every tesco, big c, villa market

make a tea with it, a teaspoon, boiling water, let stand for 10 min

but I would say:  A teaspoon of REAL honey ...

no need for chemical CRAP with an armlength of side effects

How do you know if you are buying real honey and not the made up Chinese concoction ? plus best shops to buy from please .

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:22 AM, superal said:

How do you know if you are buying real honey and not the made up Chinese concoction ? plus best shops to buy from please .

the price ?

not being from tesco itself or big c ?

maybe some imported stuff ?

they sell apple cider vinegar in combo with real honey... pricy buy worth it

the apple cider vinegar will also help a lazy stomac, aka NOT ENOUGH ACID

the omeprazole will kill your stomach acid, you will not digest your food, your problems will remain as stomach problems are 99 percent not enough acid or eating too much or drinking too much water before, during, after your food, as you will dilute the acidity, needed to digest your protein, that will stay in your stomach, start to ROTT, ferment and this is what opens the  LES sphincter

lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is a bundle of muscles at the low end of the esophagus, where it meets the stomach

• Thanks 2