Video: Motorcyclist and passenger thrown off in Sunday collision

webfact

5 minutes ago, cranki said:
26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Do I have the impression that you think I have a small cc'd bike? I have a Forza 300, if I need a burst off acceleration I have got it, though it's not very often I do need it.

Sigh....have a look at the original post....then your reply....you said you'd go into the right lane and "bugger the left lane" (or something like that) so I "assumed you rode a scooter".....

The video is of a SCOOTER.....and you just confirmed that you indeed ride a scooter.... have a nice day ????

I think it's fairly obvious that a 300cc Forza can accelerate into the next lane and maintain speed with the surrounding traffic. 

cranki - are you deliberately being just a little cranki ?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Speed wasn't the cause??? what was all that tyre smoke from when the pickups brakes locked because it couldn't slow in time to avoid impact. 

The cause WAS speed... speed combined with the aggressive and poor decision making of the pickup driver when failing to interpret road conditions ahead of him. 

If I were to guess, the the Pickup truck driver was speeding up trying to cut in front of the car in the fast lane, hoping he could shoot the hole between the slow moving motorcycle and the car in the highspeed lane before they closed the gap. The motorcycle should have never moved into that lane going that slow, or without doing a head-check or using blinkers, but the pickup driver I am sure was thinking he was Mario Andretti, see it every day here in Bangkok. Usually these end up being near misses, and everyone ignores it as no big deal, you or I would probably have heart failure if we got as close to an accident as these Thai's do every day.

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

If I were to guess, the the Pickup truck driver was speeding up trying to cut in front of the car in the fast lane, hoping he could shoot the hole between the slow moving motorcycle and the car in the highspeed lane before they closed the gap. The motorcycle should have never moved into that lane going that slow, or without doing a head-check or using blinkers, but the pickup driver I am sure was thinking he was Mario Andretti, see it every day here in Bangkok. Usually these end up being near misses, and everyone ignores it as no big deal, you or I would probably have heart failure if we got as close to an accident as these Thai's do every day.

sigh...ok...up to you if you think a 300cc forza can "accelerate" out of trouble in just a blip of the throttle when a pick-up is coming up your a$$ at 120kph+ or more....(away with the fairies you go)

5 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Yep... Agree with all of that...   

... I see these near misses daily, I've become numbed to the daily <deleted>-wittery which hardly even registers these days... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cranki said:

sigh...ok...up to you if you think a 300cc forza can "accelerate" out of trouble in just a blip of the throttle when a pick-up is coming up your a$$ at 120kph+ or more....(away with the fairies you go)

The motorcycle should never have entered the lane in the first place, he should have built up speed in the lane he was in first, then moved over properly when it was SAFE to do so! This is the same mistake everyone in Thailand seems to make, you don't merge without checking the lane next to you, and making sure you either match speed, or wait before merging, you can't just flip the blinker on and jump into a lane with traffic moving faster than you are.

2 minutes ago, cranki said:

Again... that's not what he's saying, you are cherry-picking the context of your argument. 

In normal traffic a 300cc forza can accelerate up to traffic speed with ease.

No one in the right mind would pull out into the lane when an approaching pickup is speeding up the next lane at an estimated 120kmh+ - even on a Panigale or S1000RR....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Speed wasn't the cause??? what was all that tyre smoke from when the pickups brakes locked because it couldn't slow in time to avoid impact. 

The cause WAS speed... speed combined with the aggressive and poor decision making of the pickup driver when failing to interpret road conditions ahead of him. 

So the reason for the bike changing lanes into the path of the pickup was brought about by the pickup driver, that sounds really like a Thai analysis to me, you're not Thai  are you? 

What was the smoke, that was the tyres skidding on the road that can be evident even at low speed

if you push hard enough on the brake pedal. 

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

So the reason for the bike changing lanes into the path of the pickup was brought about by the pickup driver, that sounds really like a Thai analysis to me, you're not Thai  are you? 

What was the smoke, that was the tyres skidding on the road that can be evident even at low speed

Yep and ABS (Anti Break-locking System) is quite a rarity here in Thailand too.
Lacking ABS you would need to initially break really hard and then to reduce locking pump the break pedal to gain any traction and possibly little maneuverability to try and get around the bike. With locked brakes you're a passenger no matter where you turn the wheel.
image.png.477bfc716dd401e1019cb355ef3c68d1.png
The pickup is coming quite fast on the left, as the whole sh*tshow is over in less than 2 seconds, so not very safe driving on any part in any case - my guess is he is passing the videoing car from the left, and got surprised with the slower scooter coming from the left lane - so reckless driving on many parts. This all happens in second 5/20 and impact at 6/20 - when one doesn't know what's on next left lane, hard to say if the pickup could've swerved there without brakes locking, now it was close call he didn't hit the videoing car too, as he is already over the lane when hitting the scooter.

Hopefully none had serious injuries in any case...
EDIT: PS. This pic is when the pickup slams the brakes.

Edited by jabis
Addendum

40 minutes ago, Artisi said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you should read my comments again - your comprehension is off... 

I have not suggested or implied that the reason the bike changed lanes is because of the speeding pickup - that's just daft. 

Equally so, I'm well aware of why the pickup tires 'lit-up'...  its because he didn't react early enough to the actions unfolding in front of him and he continued going too quickly and he couldn't brake in time. 

You suggest the pickup wasn't going too fast....  The pickup was undertaking the cam-car, it didn't slow or react to the danger of the bike entering its lane until too late...  the pickup driver was driving too fast, too aggressively...  the pickup driver was driving dangerously while the bike rider was riding carelessly....

If you think the Pickup driver was not driving too fast or dangerously you yourself may be a danger on the roads. 

On 4/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

I’m guessing the pickup saw the bike in plenty of time to avoid them and maintained high speed too long thinking the bike would go to the outside lane. He wasn’t prepared to stop when they settled into his lane.

I'm guessing that the pickup driver was on his/her smartphone.