Triglycerides

Badrabbit

Can someone give me advice on how to reduce this, it's coming down from 350 now 299, I drink alcohol once a week(not every week) maybe 5 pints beer, do not smoke, exercise everyday 1 hr fast walking, try to eat healthy as much as possible, any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-ways-to-lower-triglycerides#section1

It's mostly the food you eat. Thai food is quite bad for you: lots of added sugar, refined rice, trans fats in oil.

Cook at home. Dont use palm oil. Dont use refined products. Dont use sugar. Dont eat carbs at all.
That doesn't leave much to eat, I eat alot of bananas and fat free yogurts, canned light Tuna with canned light beans, eggs and sometimes fast food but rarely, very difficult to know what to eat.

Avoid all processed carbs (white rice, white pastas, white bread etc..and anything with sugar).. Whole grains are OK, in fact good because of the fiber.

Only healthy oils which means nothing fried from the market or in restaurants. Can cook with oil at home but using healthy ones (Safflower, sunflower, olive, canola).

Very important -- get a lot of fiber. Oatmeal is good for this along with vegetables and some fruits. Some people see a significant improvement just adding a daily bowl of oatmeal. Make it real rolled oats, not instant.

As you can see following this pretty much rules out food cooked in the market, means mostly cooking home and calls for some significant changes to normal Thai cooking.

If you are able to do all this and it remains high you may have to go on medication.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Avoid all processed carbs (white rice, white pastas, white bread etc..and anything with sugar).. Whole grains are OK, in fact good because of the fiber.

Only healthy oils which means nothing fried from the market or in restaurants. Can cook with oil at home but using healthy ones (Safflower, sunflower, olive, canola).

Very important -- get a lot of fiber. Oatmeal is good for this along with vegetables and some fruits. Some people see a significant improvement just adding a daily bowl of oatmeal. Make it real rolled oats, not instant.

As you can see following this pretty much rules out food cooked in the market, means mostly cooking home and calls for some significant changes to normal Thai cooking.

If you are able to do all this and it remains high you may have to go on medication.

Thanks, I don't eat anything from markets and don't use any oil at home, next blood test is in 6 months so I'll keep doing what I'm doing with a few more changes and hopefully it will reduce more.

Although the readings sound high they would not be life-threatening on their own. Should be taken as a polite warning to adjust general living environment.

Must do exercise more. Regular work-outs can change blood chemistry. Cycling, swimming and cross-country walking are good. Actually the best exercise is vigorous pelvic-thrusting (as in the dog position love making). Try to do at least 20 minutes each day. Get the pulse-rate up to 3/4 of max for some of the time. In the early stages of increased exercise it is OK to rest up periodically until the body get accustomed to the new activities.

Food; best to avoid refined carbohydrates. It goes without saying that refined sugar is not good. Eat more fish. Eat less meat. Eat plenty of veggies and fruits.

If you are grossly overweight, it is essential to lose some of the fat. Triglycerides are stored in fat. Any extra calories are converted to triglycerides and stored as fat. Establish a mode of living where the calories taken in are fully metabolised.

Lastly; alcohol (beer). Beer is particularly dangerous if your reading is above 500. Then it should be cut it our altogether. Also avoid Lao Khow in excess, especially first thing in the morning.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

That doesn't leave much to eat, I eat alot of bananas and fat free yogurts, canned light Tuna with canned light beans, eggs and sometimes fast food but rarely, very difficult to know what to eat.

I think my list of what to avoid leaves you a lot to choose from. Meat, fish, dairy, green vegetables, soya protein, whole grains, most nuts, fruit ......

I manage quite nicely on that.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-ways-to-lower-triglycerides#section1

It's mostly the food you eat. Thai food is quite bad for you: lots of added sugar, refined rice, trans fats in oil.

Cook at home. Dont use palm oil. Dont use refined products. Dont use sugar. Dont eat carbs at all.

That’s a good list. Apart from the fatty fish, I follow all of those suggestions. My trigs are down to 69, were a lot higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Tofu and other soy foods are good.

With fresh tumeric (curcumin) cheap and plentiful you should look into ways to incorporate it into your diet.

Raw salads help a lot, but you'll need a reliable way to get the leaves etc clean, you don't want microbial critters camping out in your digestive system.  Things may be a bit better now in some places, but when I started traveling in the '70s the rule was nothing that can't be peeled or boiled.  I still peel apples, regardless of where I am.  I know Thais generally use purified drinking water to wash produce they intend to eat raw, but I'm not so sure how effective that is.  But I also don't want everything to smell like chlorine or iodine.

And speaking of apples Tesco sometimes gets good quality ones from NZ, Oz, S. Africa.  They also have digestive biscuits which unfortunately aren't very fiber heavy, but still a treat. 

When upping your fiber intake (especially via grains) be sure to drink enough water, otherwise your plumbing will be clogged.

this might be helpful

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-ways-to-lower-triglycerides

That’s a good list. Apart from the fatty fish, I follow all of those suggestions. My trigs are down to 69, were a lot higher.

Do you drink? Do you exercise? Please let me know what you eat day to day approximately.

Your age?

Research fish oil capsules. My triglycerides have ranged from 90-150 over the last ten years. Three months of taking fish oil capsules (along with plenty of exercise) and my last count was 60, down from 139, lowest ever for me.

• Like 1

Research fish oil capsules. My triglycerides have ranged from 90-150 over the last ten years. Three months of taking fish oil capsules (along with plenty of exercise) and my last count was 60, down from 139, lowest ever for me.
Thanks I'll get those again, I was taking 3 times a day but stopped, how many do you take per day?

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I was taking 3 times a day but stopped, how many do you take per day?

I take two capsules a day, more for boosting my HDL cholesterol but it seems to have had a positive effect on my triglycerides as well.

7 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

exercise everyday 1 hr fast walking

If you can already walk fast for an hour each day then why not move up to to some light jogging a couple of times a week and build from there. As much as I love walking I find jogging better for improving fitness. Start off slowly and you might be surprised how far you can run after a few months. If you are very overweight or getting on in years then best check with your doctor before starting on any vigorous exercise program.

6 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I eat alot of bananas and fat free yogurts

Make sure you read the labels on those yoghurts. If it's all in tiny Thai script then Google to find the sugar content. When fat is removed from flavoured yoghurt it isn't very appealing so what they usually do is add sugar. In most cases you are better off buying Yolida brand plain yoghurt and adding a little fresh fruit yourself. Avoid dried fruit as it can be sky high in sugar. 

• Like 1

Make sure you read the labels on those yoghurts. If it's all in tiny Thai script then Google to find the sugar content. When fat is removed from flavoured yoghurt it isn't very appealing so what they usually do is add sugar. In most cases you are better off buying Yolida brand plain yoghurt and adding a little fresh fruit yourself. Avoid dried fruit as it can be sky high in sugar. 
Walking is all I can do jogging is not something I like at all, I walk very fast twice as fast as all other walkers, im 63 190cms 88kgs and have always been fit, had a minor stroke over a yr ago, since then I have been attending hospital every 4/6months for blood checks, just my triglycerides are being stubborn, tests show everything good apart from triglycerides.

Walking is all I can do jogging is not something I like at all, I walk very fast twice as fast as all other walkers, im 63 190cms 88kgs and have always been fit, had a minor stroke over a yr ago, since then I have been attending hospital every 4/6months for blood checks, just my triglycerides are being stubborn, tests show everything good apart from triglycerides.

Checked for Sugar 0% 20190402_181143.jpeg

That is 0% fat.

It is full of sugar.

Which is much worse for you than milk fat.

Try to switch to plain undweetened yogurt instead.

It says on carton o% sugar, I eat between 2 and 4 if these per day and my test for sugar was normal.

Salads, fruit and vegetables. Avoid overcooking carrot as it releases sugar. The leaner the meat, the better. Chicken and fish skin is a no-no.

Any edible fat or oil ( including so-called healthy oils such as olive oil ) is a triglyceride. One molecule of glycerol attached to three fatty acids of varying chain length and saturation. Salad dressings such as mayonnaise are loaded with triglycerides. Vinegar is better.

• Like 1

Many Thai products say 0 sugar when it is sweetened with fructose. Same difference.

The issue us not your blood sugar it is your triglycerides. Glucose metabolism is closely linked to blood lipids.

It says on carton o% sugar, I eat between 2 and 4 if these per day and my test for sugar was normal.

Many Thai products say 0 sugar when it is sweetened with fructose. Same difference.

The issue us not your blood sugar it is your triglycerides. Glucose metabolism is closely linked to blood lipids.

Okay thanks, I'll look for unsweetened plain yogurt from now on.

Do you drink? Do you exercise? Please let me know what you eat day to day approximately.Your age?

Occasional wine, not beer, too much sugar. Yes I lift weights, swim and windsurf. I eat low carb, loads of fat and protein, no bread, rice, or grains. I’m 70,

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It's alright in the evening then?

Personally I would only use it (lao khow) to strip wallpaper.

Good point KittenKong, but just to put it into perspective.

Up here in Isaan there is a dish called somtam (spicy, crabby, fishy sauce salad). The actual fish sauce - or crab sauce - is often alive (as in moving) with bad stuff (farang call it toxic waste in these parts). I've seen a maggot infested pot of this sauce, strained and poured onto the salad. After the meal everyone down a couple of glasses of lao khow. Then it's 'off to work we go'.

The lao khow seems to neutralise the fermenting somtam and the dodgy bacteria in the gut, and all is well. What would happen to the poor people's insides, without the lao khow, doesn't bear thinking about.

As for stripping wallpapper; there is a beverage called 'white spirit'. that could do the job better (only jesting KK).

https://www.drsinatra.com/the-most-important-cholesterol-ratio-to-watch

This is more important than your actual cholesterol levels (HDL, LDL, trigs). In fact if you were cutting your carbs right down you trigs would probably go up.

There is no such thing as a refined carb, they all go through the same process to be converted into fat if they aren't being directly used as energy.

I thought you were on Keto?