Google And Thaivisa.com Launches Branded Email For Members

george

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice one!

Someone said something about privacy... as much as I know this email service is operated by google, right? Here is a pretty good website with all the info about gmail (google mail) and it's privacy "issues".

http://www.gmailusers.com/privacy.htm

Here is some help for those who have trouble setting up their email clients

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555

I have a gmail account, with this google apps it has just become my favorite email service :D

p.s. I have to add it...

Give Thunderbird a try as your Email Client, it's very nice, and many say it's better than Outlook :o

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

You can also use this Portable Version:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

no installation needed, can be used from a USB memory stick or external hard drive on any windows computer

Edited by jbhh

When I get banned what happens to my email?

So are the e-mail accounts confidential or are they like company accounts where the management (george) can access and read the individual accounts ?

Anybody care to answer the question ?

So are the e-mail accounts confidential or are they like company accounts where the management (george) can access and read the individual accounts ?

Thanks for changing my post from "If you.." to "When I.. " Lamphun.

That's an old trick from another forum I believe. :o:D

I've got my account and is working well web based, had to change the default name it was listed k2bikerider k2bikerider, but I think that is default for these accounts.....

k2bikerider

Correct. Just go into the settings and change it to whatever you want.

George, Tks for signing me up, but my Name shows up twice (TunnelRat69 TunnelRat69) in the account info section, can you delete one of the names so it only shows up once, I tried to edit it myself but coudn't find anywhere to do it...........makes the From line look funny...............Thanx

TunnelRat69,

1. Click the Settings link in the top-right corner of the screen.

2. Click the Accounts tab.

3. Click the edit info link in the Send mail as section.

4. A pop-up window will appear titled Edit email address.

5. Select the radio button next to the empty text field.

6. In the text field, type the name that you want displayed in the From line of e-mail messages that you send.

7. Click the Save Changes button.

That should do the trick.

-oev

Google and Thaivisa.com launches branded email for members

BANGKOK: -- Google [GOOG] and Thaivisa.com have launched a branded email solution for its 42,000 members.

All members of thaivisa.com can now have a ThaiVisa branded email address powered by Google!

You will get a Thaivisa branded Gmail email account like [email protected], with 2 gigabytes of storage.

It's either a web mail (a la Gmail) or a full POP3/SMTP. Up to you!

For life!

1. Login/signup to our forum and click here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...4&MID=20382

2. Enter "Message Title": email

Just write "email" as text (we know what you mean!)

3. Your new Thaivisa.com email account login and password will be PM'ed to your forum account within 48 hours. You can change your own password later, of course.

4. When you are ready and got your login/password, please say hello and let us know here!

Book your name now! Have fun!

The Rules:

1. You must be logged in as a registered member to signup. Member name will be used as email address.

2. We reserve the right to refuse to register email addresses for whatever reason.

3. Spammers will be removed instantly and will be reported to SpamCop and ISP's.

Basically an interesting offer. The only thing I don't like is that my thaivisa member name would be my email name. Unless I misunderstand my email would be [email protected]. While I do not wish to use my real name for posting and arguing in this forum, I definitely would like to use my real name for a privat email correspondence that gives me twice the storage I get from hotmail which I hate just because every body on this planet seems to have a hotmail account. So once I can choose my email name freely let me know and I'll subscribe.

Thanks for changing my post from "If you.." to "When I.. " Lamphun.

No need for thanks, just trying to help out. :o

Edited by lamphun

Long time reader. First post. Quick question: If someone copies every username in the upper right members link, easy enough with a site ripper, wouldn't it be possible to collect the member names and tag them to email names for spam purposes? Just wondering, but I think many people have to think about that, there are a lot of names.

Basically an interesting offer. The only thing I don't like is that my thaivisa member name would be my email name. Unless I misunderstand my email would be mitrapaap[at]haivisa.com. While I do not wish to use my real name for posting and arguing in this forum, I definitely would like to use my real name for a privat email correspondence that gives me twice the storage I get from hotmail which I hate just because every body on this planet seems to have a hotmail account. So once I can choose my email name freely let me know and I'll subscribe.

I understand your issue, but we can only maintain one single database, and thats the member name.

Long time reader. First post. Quick question: If someone copies every username in the upper right members link, easy enough with a site ripper, wouldn't it be possible to collect the member names and tag them to email names for spam purposes? Just wondering, but I think many people have to think about that, there are a lot of names.

No, we are protecting us from spam. You need to be a verified, logged in member in order to get an email account. Basically we give everybody an account, but we screen the process, be assured.

I can't get the pop account working. I have written in:

incoming mail server - mail.gmail.com

I tried also: mail.thaivisa.com

outgoing mail server - smtp.gmail.com

I can send mail from, but can't receive incoming mail to the account which has somehow gotten re-named to "buzzer buzzer" instead of just "buzzer".

Are there any other settings I need to worry about?

Thanks,

buzzer

Is there any advantage having a Thaivisa gmail account over just opening one direct from gmail? and will admin be able to access your account?

Admin can not access the mail accounts.

Maybe not directly but Admin can change the password for any mail account and then access it.

buzzer -

For Gmail POP3 to work, you first need to manually log into your Gmail account at https://mail.google.com/a/thaivisa.com, then:

1) Click on Settings (upper right corner)

2) In new window click on Fordwarding and Pop (top center)

3) In new window, click one of the Enable POP...... bullets, then "Save Changes" button.

To correct your buzzer<buzzer user name problem:

1) Again. click on Settings (upper right corner)

2) Then click Accounts

3) Click the edit info next to your buzzer<[email protected] name

4)In new popup window, enter correct name in window provided, check bullet next to new name, click "Save Changes" button, then log out of Gmail.

If your using Outlook 2000, 2003, 2007, Outlook Express 6, or Thunderbird 1.5.x.x and still have problems, you can download the Google "Gmail POP Troubleshooter" utility, here.

waldwolf

Is there any advantage having a Thaivisa gmail account over just opening one direct from gmail? and will admin be able to access your account?

Admin can not access the mail accounts.

Maybe not directly but Admin can change the password for any mail account and then access it.

Thaivisa admins are NOT gmail admins so cannot access gmail account details.

Basically an interesting offer. The only thing I don't like is that my thaivisa member name would be my email name. Unless I misunderstand my email would be [email protected]. While I do not wish to use my real name for posting and arguing in this forum, I definitely would like to use my real name for a privat email correspondence that gives me twice the storage I get from hotmail which I hate just because every body on this planet seems to have a hotmail account. So once I can choose my email name freely let me know and I'll subscribe.

Since you have no choice of the name with Thaivisa you have two other options with Google mail:

You register directly at Gmail and you are free to choose your name:

- http://mail.google.com

Or, if you have a domain registered on your name, you can register at Google Apps

http://www.google.com/a/

and then you can choose not only your name, but your address doesn't let you look like a cheapskate since it looks like this: [email protected]

It's free as well and the same system Thaivisa is using.

Yeah, thanks for the fat new mail box!

Please confirm the pop settings we need - same as generic gmail?

I've tried that (after enabling pop in my thaivisa gmail account, it is enabled now), but it's not working so far.

for smtp.gmail.com and pop.gmail.com, I'm getting:

command error: ERR Cannot connect to POP server 72.14.253.109(72.14.253.109:110), connect error 10060

Thanks,

UC

Hey does anybody have any concerns about Google or gmail?

Remember when they revealed that they are tracking every search and link from their search engine from every computer... they were able to show league tables of all the popular searches etc.... well now with gmail, some observers are saying, that they are going to be able to put a name/identity to the searches through the personal cookie that will be installed....

Check out this site http://www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

Are they just paranoid or is google really Big Brother?

Upcountry -

Exact settings for POP3 may vary depending on your OS (Windows, Mac, Linux), your email client (ie: Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.) and specific version(s) of said client.

Check this "Gmail Help Center POP Access" link for specific setup details: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555

For example, if your using Outlook Express 6 as your email client, then check that settings (indicated by red arrows) are as shown below:

Gmail_Server_Setting.jpgGmail_Advanced_Setting.jpg

waldwolf

Edited by waldwolf

waldwolf, thanks for your input. and for confirming that the smtp and pop settings are the same as for a regular gmail account.

I compared my Eudora settings for my gmail account with my thaivisa account, and they appear to be set the same way, except for this: I changed my thaivisa to be: Required, alternate port in the Secure sockets setting area, since that is what I have set for gmail.

I tried again to get mail, but this time I got:

POP server (<name>@pop.gmail.com) command error: ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!

Meanwhile, no errors with my generic gmail settings.

UC

I signed up for the branded emaila service several days ago and have received not noitification yet. Is there a problem or is it just taking longer than expected?

regards,

KhunJames

If you still have not received details, please send another PM to support

totster :o