Should Tourists Avoid Pattaya

pumper

Pattaya is what it is, you can't polish a turd.

What Pattaya lacks is 24 hour drinking and more visible policing.

We came here to party, what else do you think it's for?

A few posts above, in more words, i think I summed up what you are saying.

For me, Pattaya has always been well on the safety track, but still some way from a party place like Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

For me and my family life, Pattaya Water Park, Lotus and zoos around always good.

The latest crime would not derail me, might have some impact elsewhere.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats it, you can get all the foreign food and amenities you want here, it's quite comfortable in that respect.

Try word association, think Pattaya, what the first idea that came into your head? Whatever it is you're probably right.

It's horses for courses and you aren't going to change it all, just enjoy the parts you like.

Edited by Robski

Thats it, you can get all the foreign food and amenities you want here, it's quite comfortable in that respect.

Try word association, think Pattaya, what the first idea that came into your head? Whatever it is you're probably right.

It's horses for courses and you aren't going to change it all, just enjoy the parts you like.

Right now, you and me are in the area where we preach to the converted.

Let's look what others are saying.

I went to Pattaya a year ago because I was bored doing what I was doing in the states. I had a blast. I had fun, fell in love a couple of times, spent way too much money, bought a beautiful home and most significantly married a Thai girl who I enjoy waking up to every day. (well, almost every day)

For the first 3 or 4 months in Pattaya I enjoyed the excitement (the girls)of the city. I made several new friends who I enjoyed hanging out with. In March last year I met and fell in love with my wife. The way that I enjoyed the city has changed but it is still a interesting place. I pretty much stopped going to the clubs over time. My favorite thing to do is sit a Starbucks and just watch it all go by.

I will never get tired of looking at beautiful Thai girls.

Yes it is a crazy mixed up place but it has something for everyone and it can be experenced at any level.

I enjoy going to my wifes village and like the people there but I would get bored living there all the time.

I've spent many winters in Florida and the beaches are no better than Pattaya to me because I don't go in the water.

We are currently back in the states in Florida and I have to say it is boring compaired to Pattaya. We have our house rented out for a fair return.

We are going to tour the states in our motorhme, my wife will get her green card and we will come back in Nov.

Everyplace is a compromise (as everyother aspect of life) Everywhere I look here there are fat people.

If I had to choose one place to live it would be Thailand. When we return we will check out Chang mai looking for the western amenities and more moderate tempetures.

There is a name for people who complain about their situation rather than change it. Booring

the andaman sea has far cleaner beaches / water than the gulf of Thailand

how much untreated waste, human & industrial, flows down the chao praya? :bah:

the prawn farms in the chao praya delta must be heavy metal / toxic hel_l. I never consume Thai prawns. :D

what % of Pattaya's wastes flow directly into the sea. The new sewer infrastructure services only a small % of the toilets / industrial plants.

the andamen sea has only a small % of the waste + ocean currents to 'wash' the coast line wastes into deep water.

I will avoid pattaya & it's beach front lined with lady boys :D & their criminal element associates. :D

the pattaya beach is deadly & toxic in more ways than 1. :o:bah::D

only special interest pattaya advocates would continue to recommend pattaya.

:o

Lived here over a year now, when we used to come on hols no probs recommending the place to others, but now would not, Hua-Hin, Chiang Mai would be my recommmendations or other less popular tourist places, othe than the South, unless someone I do not like!

The air quality in Pattaya is much better than Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai air quality is some of the worst on the planet. Would definitely not recommend anyone move there for that reason alone.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, Pattaya is so awfull that in 2006 only 4.5 million tourists went there and spend 48 billion bath. Its so awfull that condominimums like Northpoint are close to sold out at +130.000 bath pr. sqm before they even start building (probably because of all those poor brittish lager bums).... :-D

my thoughts:

there are much better places to visit in Thailand than Pattaya

there are much safer places to visit in Thailand than Pattaya

there are much cleaner places to visit in Thailand than Pattaya

there are much prettier places to visit in Thailand than Pattaya

Thanks for sharing YOUR thoughts with us.

My thoughts are that it's one of the best places to live in Thailand, it has everything and something for everyone.

Always love these Pattaya bashing threads. Pattaya is nothing apart from beer bars, gogo bars, prostitutes, lady boys, rip offs blah blah blah. :o

You mean that there are absolutely no beers bars, gogo bars, prostitutes etc in Bangkok? :D or Phuket? or Samui? or Hua Hin? or Chiang Mai? :D

Surprised we haven't seen an appearance from the "move it all to the boonies" brigade.

Pattaya is Pattaya, love it or hate it you don't have to go there. I'll be there in approximately 267 hours, but who's counting?

Pattaya is Pattaya, love it or hate it you don't have to go there. I'll be there in approximately 267 hours, but who's counting?

And I'm leaving in less than twelve, oh well it's been great, cheers lads! :o

Always love these Pattaya bashing threads. Pattaya is nothing apart from beer bars, gogo bars, prostitutes, lady boys, rip offs blah blah blah. :D

You mean that there are absolutely no beers bars, gogo bars, prostitutes etc in Bangkok? :D or Phuket? or Samui? or Hua Hin? or Chiang Mai? :D

Surprised we haven't seen an appearance from the "move it all to the boonies" brigade.

Here I am! :o

I just think its a pity that downtown Pattaya has to be such a sleeze. I go to New Orleans Restaurant and sit outside waiting for friends and and the street really is not very nice. And the next street filled with boys up to whatever they get up to. Send them all to the boonies and get them out of normal folks faces. Normal folks are the majority after all.

Crime etc in Pattaya is no worse than any similar sized city anywhere in the world....in fact it's a lot safer. THe claims of it being Sodom ans Gomorrah are just a load of crap from the anally challenged based on their own prejudices.

What makes anyone an authority on who should go where as a tourist?

Always love these Pattaya bashing threads. Pattaya is nothing apart from beer bars, gogo bars, prostitutes, lady boys, rip offs blah blah blah. :D

I just think its a pity that downtown Pattaya has to be such a sleeze. I go to New Orleans Restaurant and sit outside waiting for friends and and the street really is not very nice. And the next street filled with boys up to whatever they get up to. Send them all to the boonies and get them out of normal folks faces. Normal folks are the majority after all.

"Normal folks are the majority" - what an utterly ludicrous statement and in relation to Pattaya even more so!

What is "normal"??????

and when did "majority" mean kick everyone else out?????????

Just shows you, you know nothing. The owner of the restaurant you like so much owns one of the boy places you complain about. Why don't you have a word in his ear and ask him to move it out of your "normal" eye range.

Tammi, we usually share similar views on Pattaya, but this just plain ridiculous.

Whether you like it or hate it, there is a huge 'red light' area in the centre of Pattaya that caters for straights and gays alike.

As with any red light district anywhere in the world, be it New York, Amsterdam, Hamburg, even Soho, you will always find respectable, and often good restaurants sharing street space with the less salubrious establishments.

If the nocturnal activities outside the New Orleans reastaurant offend your sensibilities, don't go there. After all there must be hundreds - if not thousands- of eateries in the greater Pattaya area that do not expose you to such scenes.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

I think the Pattaya bashers should just stuff it.

Maybe they are jealous of us who live here, can't afford to live here, or want to appear respectable to their friends ("I love Thailand but visit only temples not like those pervs who visit Pattaya!").

Look, Pattaya is now a big city with growing pains. Some of us like big cities with all their warts. We did in our home countries and we still do. When we want to go to a quiet beach or mountain, we go there for a few days, until we get bored silly.

When I was a kid every year our village green would welcome the traveling fair. The bright lights, candy floss, waltzers, it was great. Trouble was the people who ran the fair were a bit rough. They would always have the odd punch up with the locals and any item of property not nailed down was likely to wander. After the fair was gone all the old grannies would say good riddence and pour scorn on the fair folk, calling them " Gypos " and the like, and moan at us for encouraging their return. Funny thing was when the fair came back the next year there they all were, enjoying themselves and having a great time along with the rest of us.........................bit like Pattaya really.

Edited by suiging

Just shows you, you know nothing. The owner of the restaurant you like so much owns one of the boy places you complain about. Why don't you have a word in his ear and ask him to move it out of your "normal" eye range.

Sorry, I miss-quoted PhilHarries by mistake, it should be Tammi shown as the author of that silly quote.

If you use general common sence (yes, I know common sence is uncommon) you usually dont have a problem anywhere. Dont act like you own the place and you'll be fine, you can have fun & run a muck while still respecting others.

Always love these Pattaya bashing threads. Pattaya is nothing apart from beer bars, gogo bars, prostitutes, lady boys, rip offs blah blah blah. :o

"move it all to the boonies"

David 'Boonie' Boon was a great cricketer, and anyone that can drink that much beer on a flight between Australia and England in a champion.

But what does he have to with Pattaya?

:D

Well, now I do know something. What's the name of the boy place he owns? I will go suss it out with regard to level of respectability and will certainly have a word with owner if I think he is allowing lewd behaviour by his staff and encouraging lewd behaviour by his patrons.

"Normal folks are the majority" - what an utterly ludicrous statement and in relation to Pattaya even more so!

Right on! It would be great to have a city center where 'normal' people could feel comfortable

[ I think that the place is best suited to the tourists (what like 80% of total?) who come to Thailand for easy access to readily available hot chicks

What hot chicks? You mean the prostitutes aka working girls? They are bored out of their skulls. Sure they put on an act - they have to. Its a bad business made worse because its illegal. It should be legalised so that these women (and men) are protected. And one good way to protect them is to have a separate area with all the facilities needed for their protection and welfare.