EC to ‘decide on MP formula soon’

webfact

EC to ‘decide on MP formula soon’

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation

9b976aa111b1fa164803f9399fe86d28.jpeg

Agency will listen to all opinions, including EX-charter drafters and NLA

IN LIGHT of the extensive debate about the formula that will be used for calculating MP seats, the Election Commission (EC) secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma said yesterday that he expected the agency to make a decision this week. 

Though the commissioners have yet to agree on a particular method of calculation, he said they will have to go by what is stipulated by the Constitution and related laws. 

At least two formulas, based on different interpretations of the law, are being advanced. One formula allows as many as 11 small parties to gain at least one seat in Parliament, while the other allocates seats to bigger parties that have gained a bigger share of votes. 

The formula the EC opts for will have an impact on the formation of the government and will determine which camp – pro- or anti-junta – controls the Lower House. Hence, politicians and the public have been pushing the agency to reveal the calculation method that it will use. 

Jarungvith has said the EC will listen to all arguments and will also study relevant laws before answering the public. “Remember, the EC did not draw up these laws; it’s only the enforcer,” he said. “And we haven’t started calculating yet.” 

Members of the now-defunct Constitution Drafting Commission and National Legislative Assembly will be invited to give inputs on the matter, he said, adding the EC will make an announcement as soon as it reaches a conclusion. “No matter what, we have to announce and endorse the election results by May 9,” he said, referring to the deadline set by the Constitution. “We are not pressured by this calculation issue. We just have to go by the law.”

As for moves to have the EC members removed due to alleged irregularities, the secretary-general said the public had every right to do this and that the agency could only provide an explanation on what had happened. 

Separately, EC member Pakorn Mahannop yesterday blamed local agents for the irregularities.

“The more than 700,000 referees were villagers, teachers and personnel from the Interior Ministry, so some, maybe 10 or 100, made mistakes,” he said in a speech delivered to subcommittees investigating election-related irregularities. “This is what the EC has to investigate to uphold justice.”

As for the 4 million extra ballots that emerged after the election, Pakorn said that when the EC announced a turnout of some 33 million people, only 93 per cent of the vote had been tallied. 

“So, that’s over 2 million more that hadn’t been counted. Plus, it hadn’t included the more than 2 million ballots from advance voting,” he said. “These are the 4 million extra ballots. They were not extra ballots added after the election and that is the truth.” 

As for the ballots from New Zealand, Pakorn said they were like raffle coupons that arrived too late and could not possibly be included in the draw. 

“You cannot ask us to count it after the process has already been completed,” the commissioner said. “That’s why we ruled that they could not be counted. It was not a question of them being valid or invalid.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367016

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-03

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The EC, appointed by the Junta, will decide who forms the government.

Third-world BS.

Embarrassing third-world BS.

Time for a "Prexit". On a second thought this will definitely end in a bigger chaos than brits EU version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The formula the EC opts for will have an impact on the formation of the government and will determine which camp – pro- or anti-junta – controls the Lower House..."

Or, in other words...

The EC, appointed by the Junta, will decide who forms the government.

Third-world BS.

Embarrassing third-world BS.

Come on you guys!!! We have to make this formula!! The plebs will start thinking the wrong idea soon. 555

IMG_20190403_074823.jpg

• Haha 2

So, NZ votes can't be counted because the process has been "completed". Yet the results haven't released yet because, despite all the votes being counted, they haven't even completed the process of deciding how to allocate seats based on said votes. This is a complete and utter mess, and the fact that the EC has not been fired or worse, just reinforces the perception that these stalling tactics are due to the fact that the EC is in the Junta's pocket.
There is really only one thing left to do. The constitutional Court needs to declare the elections null and void.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

There is really only one thing left to do. The constitutional Court needs to declare the elections null and void.

They only do that with elected government that the establishment don’t like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

This is getting more ridiculous by the day! Party's selected their candidates. Prospective parliamentary candidates stood for election. The Election Commission (the so-called guardians of electoral law) organised the election. The people voted. All this without anybody knowing how the system for calculating MP seats actually works!!!! You couldn't make this stuff up. Unbelievable. Totally inept!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Considering they've have several years, a few nice overseas trips to see other systems, and a rather large budget to do get this all ready tried and tested......................................................

Typical, leave it all to the last minute, learn bugger all from the rest of the world, and then guess and if the first guess isn't liked then guess again and again and again.

Can't wait to see the methodology and formula!

Shambolic. 

I have lived here almost 22 years and tried to understand the lack of rules, law, logic, common sense and empathy, but often allowed for the fact that this is a developing country. 

My views and tolerance are slowly changing. I see nothing but greed and blatant corruption and cheating now. The country is rapidly going backwards ... faster than ever. But this time there is no one person who can bring the whole country back together.

16 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This is just the next step in fully rigging this election. If the election was free and fair, the calculation method would have been determined and published well in advance of the election. 

But the sheepole are getting restless and they may decide to flex some muscle and take their country back. One can only hope.

• Like 1

Can you imagine in any other reputable country if the results were announced and then the electorate were told they'd work the calculating formula out later??

Even the African and South American despots can come up with better stories that that.

The farce is becoming bizarre. 

Yes, but I think no-one is surprised. We all say this comming. I do have to admit, this one I didn't see comming, I thought the formula as published would be inside the constitution and would not be up to discussion, now it seems the EC can decide what formula to apply!

I have to hand it to meechai and the junta, long after the approval' they still managed to change huge parts of the constitution.

This constitution therefore isn't approved