Carnage on the Thai roads: Just another manic Monday.....and Tuesday

webfact

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Perhaps s mandatory 5 year jail sentence for those caught driving without a licence..ditto for DOI..a 2 year mandatory sentence for those without license re motor bikes..6 months for those re no helmet driving same.
Something must be done.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your kind of missing the point, it has nothing to do with having a license as the procedure required to get a license is in no way related to driving skills. As for driving without a helmet, well that's up to them, you can't cure stupid!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In a CCTV clip a white pick-up was seen cutting in front of another pick-up that subsequently veered into cars waiting at a U-turn. Many vehicles were reportedly damaged. 

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t see any white pickups slamming into other vehicles. Silver pickup? Yes. Thai reporting on par with driving skills
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The original report seems to be correct, depending on your level of English comprehension.

1. A white pickup was seen cutting in front of another pickup (silver).

2. The silver pickup traveling at high speed subsequently veered right, into cars waiting at a U-turn

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Real men do what is necessary to save lives. Kids and highly underdeveloped people make promises, tell lies and engage in deflection.

I can't add to that Mike It is spot on. Like putting kids behind the wheel of the car and the keystone cops just make up the numbers. They say they will be in full force when songran starts It will not make one iota of a difference, In fact, they should issue the keystone cops all with reading glasses because they have a problem seeing people breaking the law because probably they don't know the law themselves

Face it, any way you cut it Thailand is a Third World Country with a poor to very poor educations system, inadequate traffic police, out of date traffic regulations insufficient roads etc etc.  The RTP seem to have this mind set that ONLY traffic police can enforce traffic laws so the motorbike with no plate, 3 or 4 people on board without helmets sitting next to the cop on his motorbike get a free pass because he isn't a traffic cop. Absolutely brilliant!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubon farang said:

In fact, they should issue the keystone cops all with reading glasses because they have a problem seeing people breaking the law because probably they don't know the law themselves

All due respect, but thats not true, They all know what they are doing is wrong on the roads,  and what the laws are,  There attitude results in 25,000 dead every year on the roads of Thailand and christ knows,  how many more are disabled after an accident.

It's a case of know one cares at all. and people are allowed not to care.

Thailand needs to grow up, and stop being man babies. 

Truly a society going backwards, hiding behind this silly face thing.

they are there own jailers and prisoners.

Maybe something will change in about 20 or a 100 years time

Edited by stanleycoin

More road deaths in a day than the State I live in has per year.

When I lived in Thailand I noticed it was a "Me First" attitude of driving

followed closely by the lack of ever pressing a brake no matter how dangerous a situation ahead looks.

Instead they keep the pedal to the metal when going thru these kinds of dangerous U turns sections, school zones etc,

Of course Traffic Stop lights that have just turned red means ever more pedal needed to get thru because it only just turned red & ....Me First

19 hours ago, gunderhill said:

And  the real  cheap way to "help"in the short  term would be to   stagger u  turns at 800 metres distance and ONE WAY only so you can actually have a CLEAR  view of the road, also only  make them wide enough for ONE  car as there's  always some  git who will not wait and drives right to the front causing even more problems as theyre  too important to wait at the back of the U  Turn queue.

Agree entirely.

Living in Rawai, Phuket, they've recently changed it.  Previously, it was possible to do a U turn anywhere, but now it's only possible at certain points.....  If there is a four-wheeled vehicle doing a U turn from the opposite direction, it's impossible to see oncoming traffic without edging out further and further into the road to see what is coming in the slow lane.  If the four-wheeled vehicle finds a gap and moves, the other vehicle is left in the middle of the fast lane!

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

If there is a four-wheeled vehicle doing a U turn from the opposite direction, it's impossible to see oncoming traffic without edging out further and further into the road to see what is coming in the slow lane. 

Of course, and what should you do then? Answer: wait until you have a clear view of the oncoming traffic, before doing the u-turn.

21 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Perhaps s mandatory 5 year jail sentence for those caught driving without a licence..ditto for DOI..a 2 year mandatory sentence for those without license re motor bikes..6 months for those re no helmet driving same.
Something must be done.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

great idea BUT who IS GOING TO enforce the laws of the road??

The original report seems to be correct, depending on your level of English comprehension.
1. A white pickup was seen cutting in front of another pickup (silver).
2. The silver pickup traveling at high speed subsequently veered right, into cars waiting at a U-turn

Nothing wrong with my comprehension. The ‘“original” report was modified.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Real men do what is necessary to save lives. Kids and highly underdeveloped people make promises, tell lies and engage in deflection.

And why were you doing 110 mph? Part of the problem I’d reckon there is no reason for this speed I think every vehicle in Thailand should be equipped with a governor that prevents sustained excursions of speed over 100 kph for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

And why were you doing 110 mph? Part of the problem I’d reckon there is no reason for this speed I think every vehicle in Thailand should be equipped with a governor that prevents sustained excursions of speed over 100 kph for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please try to focus, and be more thorough with your reading. I was doing 110 kph. On an open stretch of highway, that is a very safe speed. If you really think no vehicle should ever be able to go more than 62.5 MPH, we come from very different universes.

4 hours ago, mania said:

More road deaths in a day than the State I live in has per year.

When I lived in Thailand I noticed it was a "Me First" attitude of driving

followed closely by the lack of ever pressing a brake no matter how dangerous a situation ahead looks.

Instead they keep the pedal to the metal when going thru these kinds of dangerous U turns sections, school zones etc,

Of course Traffic Stop lights that have just turned red means ever more pedal needed to get thru because it only just turned red & ....Me First

Thanks. This is a 100% accurate account of my own experience in three taxi rides in the last month.  What you have written here happened to me and my wife....two almost certain death crashes at U-turns, where the "other guy' was doing something stupid, but our taxi just carried straight on at 120kph and took no evasive action.  There but for the grace of God go I (we)....

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, spidermike007 said:

When I was taught to drive many years ago in the UK, my Instructor said to me " Always , and I mean always think of the other drivers as complete and utter Idiots "

Words that I have never forgotten, and I say to myself every time I get behind the wheel here.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, gunderhill said:

And  the real  cheap way to "help"in the short  term would be to   stagger u  turns at 800 metres distance and ONE WAY only so you can actually have a CLEAR  view of the road, also only  make them wide enough for ONE  car as there's  always some  git who will not wait and drives right to the front causing even more problems as theyre  too important to wait at the back of the U  Turn queue.

The staggering of U turns would go a long way in making U turns easier and safer, but who cares..... 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

When I was taught to drive many years ago in the UK, my Instructor said to me " Always , and I mean always think of the other drivers as complete and utter Idiots "

Words that I have never forgotten, and I say to myself every time I get behind the wheel here.

Not unlike to the response from my dad when I started learning to drive, "what the hardest thing about driving " - "working out what the other drivers are going to do next" 

Wise and true words. 

When I drive, I assume that everyone is out to kill me and drive accordingly. 

Edited by Artisi

Please try to focus, and be more thorough with your reading. I was doing 110 kph. On an open stretch of highway, that is a very safe speed. If you really think no vehicle should ever be able to go more than 62.5 MPH, we come from very different universes.

You driving 62.5 mph on a well maintained motorway with other westerners Japanese, etc. is safe, not with Thais. As they have proven again and again to not have the ability. 120 kpH is posted on some motorways, in Thailand this is unacceptable. The 100kpH speed topping governors need to be installed. In another generation when smart roads and semi-autonomous vehicles are universal the restrictions could be changed.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, webfact said:

white pick-up was seen cutting in front of another pick-up

On 4/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, Gweiloman said:

I don’t see any white pickups slamming into other vehicles. Silver pickup? Yes. Thai reporting on par with driving skills

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Perhaps you should re-read the article.