Election brings not democracy but more violence

webfact

Election brings not democracy but more violence

By The Nation

images.jpg

Attacks on critics of the junta and Election Commission are a clear sign we’re not out of the woods of repression yet

The 2014 military coup did indeed bring to an end the street mayhem among warring political factions, which was one of the generals’ stated goals. But the intervention also came with the promise that democracy would quickly be restored. 

The promise to hold elections took five years to keep, and in the interim all of Thailand endured authoritative repression. No one was allowed to criticise the military junta. No one was allowed to organise politically oriented meetings of any kind. 

The election finally came, ending in widespread confusion, animosity and serious doubts about its validity. We will have no clear view of the future until after the coronation of His Majesty the King next month. And now, just as a measure of normalcy was expected to return, the politically charged violence is back, and it is a further direct challenge to freedom of speech.

A large and vocal group of citizens wants members of the current Election Commission thrown out, citing perceived incompetence in conducting the March 24 polls and the string of irregularities that emerged in its wake. Thugs wearing motorcycle helmets to disguise their identities have in recent days physically attacked some of those demanding change and otherwise criticising the junta.

This is far from the level of bloody street violence brought to an abrupt end in May 2014, but it is alarming nonetheless. The gang that torched Ekachai Hongkangwan’s car while it was parked outside his Bangkok home was not hitting a random target. This was a direct threat to him and a warning to all dissenters. 

Whether or not we agree with Ekachai’s blame-and-shame approach to political discourse, it is crucial that his right to free expression be respected. He has been threatened and harassed before for openly challenging Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan over his collection of ultra-expensive wristwatches and he has won many admirers for his outspokenness.

On March 31 two unidentified assailants burst into the Samut Prakan home of another critic of the Election Commission, Anurak Jeantawanich, and beat him up. Such incidents have incensed Human Rights Watch, whose director in Asia, Brad Adams, urged the authorities to “act promptly to end the deepening climate of fear”.

The failure of the police to pursue the people taking part in the attacks on democracy activists and whoever is sponsoring them suggests that the public is justified in its concern over our basic freedoms. Complaints have been filed with the National Human Rights Commission and the Justice Ministry’s Department of Rights and Liabilities Protection, but not even these state agencies are likely to have the manpower or muscle to shield Ekachai and the others. The police could do so – if so ordered by higher authorities.

Affording protection to citizens who speak out critically about the political situation or even military involvement in politics would be one smart way for the junta to show the world that democracy is indeed in bloom again here. The election, which was slanted from the beginning in the generals’ favour, did not accomplish that.

“The frequency of these attacks and lack of consequences for perpetrators suggest that the Thai government is turning a blind eye to them – or worse,” Adams said on behalf of Human Rights Watch. The government should adopt measures “to ensure that activists can safely exercise their rights without fear of reprisals”. We firmly concur, as will any fair-thinking Thai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30367109

thenation_logo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I would politely and courteously disagree...

The election was a sham designed solely by and for the Thai Elite in order to present a face to the outside world rather than just admitting that they have joined the ranks of their neighbouring failed states-Myanmar,Laos,Cambodia and..Wonderland.

The so-called "un-educated" people always knew it for what it was and is.

You only have to look at some of the editorials presented by our hosts here to work out their infinite ability to thread spaghetti thru the eye of an needle.

But I did say "under educated" NOT un-educated.

The un-educated would probably have no freekin' idea of what's going on in Bangkok and will remain silent, thus unfortunately and unwittingly, supporting the sham. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

But I did say "under educated" NOT un-educated.

The un-educated would probably have no freekin' idea of what's going on in Bangkok and will remain silent, thus unfortunately and unwittingly, supporting the sham. 

Again I disagree.

I am a bit tired of reading that the Thai people are under educated "sheeple" or anything else..after all they have to live with it.

On the other hand I would hazard a guess that not a single "foreigner" knows what is really going on in Bangkok,their city,town,village or hamlet..or humpy for that matter.

The dumbest people that I ever met on the planet were the "farang" residents of Isaan....after all,they ploughed their money into most infertile cultural soil.

The writing has been on the wall since 2014.If you are too stupid too figure that one out..that's your problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Again I disagree.

I am a bit tired of reading that the Thai people are under educated "sheeple" or anything else..after all they have to live with it.

I have to disagree with this piece of your disagree. And yes (unfortunately) they have to live with it. However, what are their university degrees worth in the world outside of Thailand? With the exception of VERY FEW, not much I would think. Are the kids taught to think for themselves or not to question the "party" (feudal) line? To question is to invite a draconian "slap around the head"!

If those people in leaderhip roles in the country cannot or are unwilling to solve major problems e.g. the southern provinces troubles, the appalling road toll (always lots of promises but very little effective action), ad infinitum ad nauseam, then I would think that these same leaders are not all that well educated either! Never seemingly want to learn from other countries who may well have dealt with similar problems! The country has some very successful entrepreneurial business people - let them have a go at sorting out some problems?

Perhaps the "leaders" reached their exalted positions using money or cronyism? Who knows.

Yes, there are many smart/educated people in Thailand but, again unfortunately, they are not given leadership roles to solve big problems.

The prevailing view seems to be - DO NOT challenge the establishment, how ever it could be improved for the benefit of ALL Thai peoples (not just some)!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 8:43 AM, webfact said:

The 2014 military coup did indeed bring to an end the street mayhem among warring political factions, which was one of the generals’ stated goals. But the intervention also came with the promise that democracy would quickly be restored. 

The promise to hold elections took five years to keep, and in the interim all of Thailand endured authoritative repression. No one was allowed to criticise the military junta. No one was allowed to organise politically oriented meetings of any kind. 

But how quickly they forget what has happened.

Article 44

Re-tooling the brains of the ones who mad comments about the Junta

The buying of new military toys

Spending money without receipt or transparency

The rush to remove Mr T supporters any way they can.

High spending in and around Bangkok

Spending on items that will help Bangkok

The rice dilemma 

The spending on police stations by the mad monk

Fishing and cans of fruit

No more than 5 at a meeting

No political comment

Coup for the rich

the risks when Thai activists take when they face the military

people are afraid to criticize because they're afraid they'll go to prison

The military have adopted a paternal rule

Increase in the number of people arrested for 'lesse majeste since the coup

The court system with the military court taking matters that they believe should be dealt by them

Secret trial have been used

Internet blocking

Girls should not wear provocative clothes, 'Its their own fault'

My security service now blocks most pages of TV

Can I mention Foo Foo, if not please just remove the mention

Political Prisoners

And a lot more.

It a go to say something but like most things said in print the words can come back and sting.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:36 AM, Odysseus123 said:

The election was a sham designed solely by and for the Thai Elite in order to present a face to the outside world rather than just admitting that they have joined the ranks of their neighbouring failed states-Myanmar,Laos,Cambodia and..Wonderland.

Ladies and "gentlemen," I present to you the unvarnished truth. Read the above aloud. Read it aloud while looking in the mirror. Do that 13 more times.

Acceptance is the first step.

Stoicism is your friend.

Btw... wth is wonderland? VN? Malaysia? Jeez.

6 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Wonderland AKA sci-fi movie? Some place unreal, I guess.

Actually I was merely tacking Thailand aka "wonderland" back on the list to give a feeling for the whole..as none of the countries listed has any taste for democratic governance at present.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually I was merely tacking Thailand aka "wonderland" back on the list to give a feeling for the whole..as none of the countries listed has any taste for democratic governance at present.

????