Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Poll for most popular destination for 2 week holiday, and most popular destination to retire are hardly comparable.

Exactly what I was saying. If you Google: "10 best places to retire",  "best places as a digital nomad", best places to work and live", you get different results.

Short term tourists will not encounter Immigration hurdles to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend?

What of 8% cheaper do you not comprehend??

Have you followed this thread from start?

Still you ignore other members who mentioned what they found cheaper here. And that IT IS overall cheaper here!

You also obviously lack understanding for the many expats who dont have 4,000USD+ per month in pension.

Since you like facts, take time find the survey here on TV before about expats budget. Most are not rich!

They care about costs, overall cost to live here.

Take a look at last weeks and months, most complain about rising living costs in Thailand!

* Money take me 20% further than in Thailand.

Here I have 20% left after 1 months spending, while in Thailand all was easily gone before end of month.

20% savings!

Comprehend?

When I look out the window, I see Cebu business park, I see condos for 5 -120,000,000 peso, Yes thats right 120 Million peso. I see down to green well maintained park, zero beggars, no need for police to frequent the area. Its all about location and local knowledge ON THE GROUND.

A average expat CARE wherever he get 102,000 vs 61,000 because he also get total lower monthly living cost, all included.

What of this do you not comprehend?

Who is selective?

Who don't want to understand just for the heck of it? You only disrupt a thread that was ment to be informative, based on feet on the ground, for years.

Note: others said the same in this thread, many times. It's overall cheaper to live here. That matters for the majority.

Argumentative, trolling, very obvious lack of feet on the ground, lack of actual knowledge, not worth my time, seriously.

#Ignored.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

What of 8% cheaper do you not comprehend??

I will summarize again.

Different people have different spends and needs.

Based on my lifestyle, I would spend more.

Just like some argued with me that buying a TV is a rare occurance, where they are right by the way, I am saying to you, like some other posters were telling you, that some of us also look at the whole picture, and our percentages for spending money on p#ssy, booze and cigs may vary.

And I say this as a smoker. And as a person that likes red wine, where Thailand is scr#wing me, compared to say Cambodia or Vietnam.

I feel that the 8% you mentioned would not apply to me, because of other things I would spend more money on (accomodation, transportation etc).

I also stated, that, regardless of any discount, even 20%, PH is not my cup of tea due to various other factors I will not repeat.

I'm sorry that you were priced out of Thailand. I was not priced out. I can afford Singapore as well, I just don't want to feel ripped off. That's because I'm 37, got savings and income, and can work harder if I want to support a more expensive lifestyle.

Equally speaking, I don't want to overspend since I am calculated, but I don't want to live in some sh#thole either.

I hope it gave you a better understanding of who I am and what I am looking for.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, lkv said:

12 minutes ago, lkv said:

I'll disagree. I was barely using banknotes in Bangkok, apart from 7-11 and some cheaper coffee shops or at food courts.

Debit card from Kbank for everything else: supermarkets (Tesco, BigC, Villa, Tops).

Gourmet Market : QR code payment (because it's cool).

Markets like Chatuchak or food courts still take cash, although if they follow China's example, you might pay QR code there as well.

7-11 accepts AliPay and WeChat pay, but I'm not Chinese, and wasn't bothered to buy the 7-11 card to put money on it. Tue Money app was too complicated to set up and in Thai if I am not mistaken. They take credit cards over 300 or 500 baht, not sure about debit.

Every other place that is priced in the range of 200-300 baht took my debit card. I think there was 1 restaurant out of 100 that said to me they only take credit cards.

yes of course supermarkets and 7/11s but that's not necessarily what tourists use cards for. A 2 week millionaire isn't going to stock up at tesco ..Russians excluded lol

The point was Vietnam and philippines were so far out they didn't even make the the top twenty where thailand had 3 cities mentioned. You need to go back a few posts with my discussion with britmanto to see the relevance

mc.PNG

Edited by madmen
  • Haha 1

So to come back on topic, this is another thing that for me personally weighs a bit, how digital that country has become. I never paid an utility bill cash in years, neither in Thailand nor in my home country, apart from the water at the condo juristic.

Edited by lkv

15 minutes ago, madmen said:

The point was Vietnam and philippines were so far out they didn't even make the the top twenty where thailand had 3 cities mentioned. You need to go back a few posts with my discussion with britmanto to see the relevance

Yes, because you were talking about tourists and Britmantoo was referring to long term living.

You are both right, in the sense that Philippinnes is neither on top of the list when it comes to tourism, nor digital nomads, nor retirement.

In 2019, Thailand is #9 in top 10 retirement destinations, and dropping, because of Immigration changes and strong Thai baht. It does not necessarily mean Philippinnes is going up though.

Edited by lkv

Its best with these Country comparison threads to look at several topics.

Personally i don't care which country  is 5% cheaper then the other country.

If i spend 2000 euros in Phillipines or 2100 euros in Thailand in a month so be it. More important is where do you feel the most comfortable and happy.

These 2 countries have topics where their differences significantly  are bigger.

Example English speaking skills.

Phills 80% of citizens speaks English and in Thailand i think 3% of their citizens does.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

internet

So internet's good yeah? This is my 4G in Europe now. Slightly different to what the OP has been posting.

Screenshot_20190703-003710_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lkv said:

So internet's good yeah? This is my 4G in Europe now. Slightly different to what the OP has been posting.

Screenshot_20190703-003710_Speedtest.jpg

Hey guy i am not biased. I am about facts only.

And I happen to like both countries i like honest reporting just what Expat PH has been doing in nearly all his informative posts.

Internet Sucks in Phills everybody knows that. All together their infrastructure is way behind with Thailand.

In the end its a matter of pros and cons.

Both places aren’t perfect but are fascinating destinations.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lkv said:

Because either you change your spending pattern, or spending on drinks represents a high proportion of your monthly expenditure, or you give up "a few sqm" at the condo.

Or you are comparing the wrong things. It's like me comparing the rent in Nakhon Nowhere to the rent in Thonglo.

Or because what you spend your money on costs less in PH. Different people different spendings.

If most is cigarettes, booze and p#ssy, yeah ok. 

Others may look at medical care, infrastracture, appliances, rents, how it looks like when you open the window, etc.

You spent any time in the Philippines?

I have and im not a piss head nor hang out in bars, dont pay for sex and live a normal and quite life.

From visiting for 2 weeks at a time going to the supermarkets some cooking as condos there are all  equipped unlike Thailand going to restaurants there i have found it cheaper and i notice it.....

Finding good food can be challangeing but its around...Greenbelt in Manila is a posh mall....you can pretty much spend the day and evening there.

Pretty sure once you hook up with a local girl a whole new world will open up just like it did for me in Thailand..

30 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

You spent any time in the Philippines?

Finding good food can be challangeing but its around...Greenbelt in Manila is a posh mall....you can pretty much spend the day and evening there.

Pretty sure once you hook up with a local girl a whole new world will open up just like it did for me in Thailand..

Yeah, spent 1 month in Makati, right next to Greenbelt.

Food was a bit challenging indeed at the time, options were limited. But it was 10 years ago.

Bonifacio looked ok as far as I recall.

But still, if I compare it with Bangkok...

Bangkok has redefined posh with Emquartier and IconSiam. Don't know how Greenbelt looks nowadays...but...

And Terminal 21, as a mid range mall, I think it's awesome. Same goes for Central Rama 9.

Won't even touch on food in Bangkok. It's paradise from A to Z. And I am not referring to Thai food. ALL food.

Man, it's worth another visit. Not saying it's not.  But Bangkok made me happier than any other place in my life. And then gradually things started to fall apart.

Cebu on the other hand, did not hear anything positive. And did not visit.

Edited by lkv

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah, spent 1 month in Makati, right next to Greenbelt.

Food was a bit challenging indeed at the time, options were limited. But it was 10 years ago.

Bonifacio looked ok as far as I recall.

But still, if I compare it with Bangkok...

Bangkok has redefined posh with Emquartier and IconSiam. Don't know how Greenbelt looks nowadays...but...

Won't even touch on food in Bangkok. It's paradise from A to Z. And I am not referring to Thai food. ALL food.

Man, it's worth another visit. Not saying it's not.  But Bangkok made me happier than any other place in my life. And then gradually things started to fall apart.

Cebu on the other hand, did not hear anything positive.

Ive been 3 times over last 3 ys next trip in one month is Cebu as im over Manila...this time i will have a chaperone to show me a round, id compare say Manila to Chiang Mai, not so much for the touristy stuff....but say the shopping....eating options....its around just not much of it....you have to go around to dig it up...though of course CM caters for all tastes.

Done 2 side trips one to Palawan and the other to Puerto Galera, somewhat backwards and basic but gees there beachs kill Thailands every day of the week....Palawan had trouble finding food that i could eat unless your happy with Macdonalds Jolliebbe and stuff like that. PG was much better in that regard, a line of bars and food options along the beach....rocked nicley in the evenings...and social drinking was cheap along with the food and edible..But be warned the boat ride from Luzon to PG isnt for old rickerty bones no ferry that i was aware of just  maybe 30 people long boat with shitty plank with low hand rail to walk across then steping over support rails in the boat to get a seat...i had hip issues then and found it challenging....But im fine now...and i love adventure so im up for it again....just pack a lot of nuts to eat for when you get hungry hehe...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe ExpatPH has tried hard to present a balanced picture of current conditions and he has expanded on the negatives as well as the positives.  Obviously it would not be for everyone (type A especially) but for those willing to adapt and looking for long term relationships or communications it may well be a good choice.  

Actually I do too. I think he has presented a very fair and balanced image of Philippines, with all the goods and the bads. 

We just disagreed on some conversions. ????

I wish I had threads like these on Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe ExpatPH has tried hard to present a balanced picture of current conditions and he has expanded on the negatives as well as the positives.  Obviously it would not be for everyone (type A especially) but for those willing to adapt and looking for long term relationships or communications it may well be a good choice.  

Its how you the person percives things to be...a positive mindset and a can do attitude will see you over any obstacle, women brought many to Thailand, and women are bring many to Phillipines.

Thailand is 2cd world Phillipines is 3rd world so lets get that into perspective.

Some it will suite others it will not some will have a reason to change others will not getting tired of Phillie bashing.....get to know a local and it will all change.

• Like 1

Everybody should calm down.

This bickering about the prices of Coke, TVs and prostitution is not helpful.

Thank you ExpatPH, you have down a very good job explaining the positives and negatives of the Philippines. Like you said, the two countries cannot be compared - you are right.

But in order to see whether the Philippines are a good alternative, I need to see the cost of living too. If the major expenses like accommodation and transport are so much more expensive than now (and my "now" is Thailand) it makes it less attractive for me. Still the Philippines are an interesting country with many positives.

I see the same balance with Thailand. One the one hand I see immigration getting more difficult for me all the time, higher pollution and rising Thai Baht. On the other hand I see that I am complaining on a high level, considering the condo rental rates in Cebu and motorbike rental rates. Thailands strong THB still seems a good deal.

From the information I gathered here, the Philippines is definitely a good alternative if Thailand becomes impossible to stay in. But from what I read here an adaption in lifestyle is required (smaller condo, walking or buying a motorbike (not renting) to have the same cost of living. If you do this adaptation, sure you can live there cheaper than in Thailand; I have no doubts about that.

Thank you ExpatPH for your informative post....im seeing myself possibly spending more time in Cebu over BKK and was wondering if you know a few short term rental options there, like for 1 to 3 months, budget is around 15, to 20,000 P approx per month.

Rather a dedicated building with staff than dealing with someone private as thats how i do it in BKK....

• Like 1

Thanks you ExpatPH for you thread. I believe that that is the maybe better option for you and it's nice to see some good and negatives about living in the Philippines.

But I also see that the cheaper cost not count for all. If you want stay in a nice condo (not 20m2) then I guess the calculation looks different as the main part of money which would disappear would be the cost of living.

On the other site I still agree with many things ExpatPH says here as he is targeting clearly the expats which have problems with Thai VISAs. And as he told be himself many times it should not compare Thailand with Philippines.. and maybe he also should try to do it less!

For myself I see much more advantages in Thailand than in the Philippines, as Health care, Accommodation and Infrastructure is very important to me. For others they also don't care in Thailand to stay in a 5'000 baht condo I think for people like that the Philippines are really cheaper to them and maybe a good solution.

So please stop the complaining on both sites. And see what this thread is about.. It's about how it is to live there. And try to compare less (this I suggest to both the PRO and CONS)!

It was nice to read all and I hope there will be more as well from other members about how it is to live somewhere in the Philippines and as others have suggested would be happy to read same about Cambodia. I see this not as an option to move for me, but to find out about nice points there. When I go to holiday it is also nice to have some advantages when have some knowledge. Go on...

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Thank you ExpatPH for your informative post....im seeing myself possibly spending more time in Cebu over BKK and was wondering if you know a few short term rental options there, like for 1 to 3 months, budget is around 15, to 20,000 P approx per month.

Rather a dedicated building with staff than dealing with someone private as thats how i do it in BKK....

Hi AlexRRR

You really made my memory work now. Norm in Cebu is minimum 6-12 months lease, directly or true agent. Many longstayers choose hotel for this very reason. Most hotels are 'guest friendly'.

Within 400$ per month, short term rent, very limited options. Lot 8 serviced apartments,

con: really tiny apartment, almendras street in Mabolo, within 30 min walk to ayala Center, taxi 100p, Angkas motorbike taxi 50p.

1 newer nice place, out in Mandaue city. 4km from Ayala center. Con: distance to cebu city center, but close to airport. Taxi would be 150p+ Angkas motorbike taxi maybe 75p. Search: bigdreamsresidences (in 1 word)

photos attached.

AirBnb have a few units within 400$, Agoda a few 'home' apartments.

Let me think more about options, because rentals in your budget and short term, is one of the first adjustments needed in Cebu city.

Pm me for other details

DSC1207-320x320.jpg

DSC1188-320x320.jpg

• Like 1

I rent a fairly decent condo in BKK near lad Phrao for 10,000 B a month that use to be $AU400 exchange rate now has pushed it to around $466 and in US 327....close to Lad Phrao Central and soon to have a BTS station just around the corner from the soi its in....

bigdreamresidences does monthly starts at 14,500 thats fine and thanks for that....

Long term hotels that fit into the 15 to 20,000 bracket would be appreciated. 

Unless you have these already on a smart phone, download these apps, fill in your travel dates, budget, and city.

Agoda give lower rate in the app, than on their website. Agoda often have discount, so check daily for bargain.

20190703_182433.jpg

20190703_182423.jpg

• Like 1

Dear ExpatPH,

could you recommend flexible options for Cebu / Bohol in the range of around 10k THB / 17k PHP?

6 months contracts I guess for condos or the long-term hotel option sounds interesting for a start.

I had a look at Lamudhi and unfortunately it confirms high rental prices for the Philippines like I mentioned before. I see basic rooms without any frills for around 17k PHP which I could rent as a student dorm 4-5k THB in Thailand.

What do you recommend? Paying more / getting outside (less polluted and better price) or adopting to the 20m² size they offer?

Are the outskirts of Cebu comparable to Chiang Mai? So I can get everything I need within the city and live in a less polluted area.

2 hours ago, cerox said:

Dear ExpatPH,

could you recommend flexible options for Cebu / Bohol in the range of around 10k THB / 17k PHP?

6 months contracts I guess for condos or the long-term hotel option sounds interesting for a start.

I had a look at Lamudhi and unfortunately it confirms high rental prices for the Philippines like I mentioned before. I see basic rooms without any frills for around 17k PHP which I could rent as a student dorm 4-5k THB in Thailand.

What do you recommend? Paying more / getting outside (less polluted and better price) or adopting to the 20m² size they offer?

Are the outskirts of Cebu comparable to Chiang Mai? So I can get everything I need within the city and live in a less polluted area.

Cebu City : google

Lot8

Winland

San Marino

All 3 are centrally located City Condominiums. 

studios about 22/29 sqm sizes.

prices around 15000 pesos for 6 month deal.

Basic aircon rooms with a fridge, tv.nothing fancy!

Bohol i don't know but i would like to know affordable accommodations in Bohol Pang Lao.

Unique in Philippines.
1. Comfort room or CR aka bathroom (the first time I heard this, I had no idea what it was)
2. Jose Rizal is the PH hero, like the George Washington of the States. His statue is everywhere
3. Banana ketchup (really?! there's no tomatoes in this and it's red?) and halo halo (mix mix dessert)
4. Jeepneys 
5. Kiss noise to get people's attention
6. Coin tap on the jeep/bus to stop it
7. Jollibee's
8. Saying 'Scuse' instead of pardon me or excuse me
9. Heavily armed malls and banks - pat downs before entering 
10. Hey Joe (I first heard this in Cebu and had no clue who they were talking to)
11. People rarely travel solo for vacation. They like group travel with their friends, coworkers, or family
12. buy one take one (instead of buy one get one free), avail a service (instead of request)
13. Religious street processions
14. The cashier asks you for change at the register
15. Smaller refrigerator sizes
16. You can buy pharmaceutical pills by the unit. They can sell you just 1 pill if you want
17. You don't take your tray to the trash can at fast food restaurants. Employees do that 
18. Honking on the street. Just to let you know I'm passing you or to tell you not to pull out in front of me
19. Christmas starts in September
20. Divorce is illegal (Vatican city is the only other place)
21. Fast food hotline (You can call one main number and they will place the order with the store and deliver it to you. You don't have to call your local restaurant directly)
22. 13th month pay (It's like a bonus but it is required by law)
23. Mixing up he and her (I have been called Ma'am far too many times; or her)
24. Age discrimination (I have seen Jollibee ads for 20-30 year old ladies. If you're a 40 year old man, you're not working there)
25. Sweet spaghetti
26. Hand respect to elders (mano po)
27. Dirty kitchen 
28. Godparents (and multiple sets of them)
29. shuffling of feet (I call it the FW - Filipino Walking. You have your OFW and FW) 
30. Fast food places run out of food (I've been to KFC twice and they didn't have chicken meals. McDonald's runs out of ice cream all the time)
31. The sales person says out loud the amount of money that you just handed them
32. The President can declare a holiday when he wants
33. Some restaurants give you a plastic hand bag glove for eating chicken or nachos
34. During elections, there is a liquor ban
35. Circumcision at age 13
36. Blunt statements to family members about weight or looks
37. No house mailboxes on the street
38. You treat others to dinner on your birthday
39. Nose bleed syndrome

Copied from local forum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1