Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

Cebu pacific air, the local budget airline, are famous for long delays and cancellation.

Staff who didnt meet to duty, lead to huge number of cancellations lately.

The scandal came on tv, newspapers and comsumer protection board was involved. 

From my own experience, Cebu Pacific total ticket prices  (many add-on) isn't lower than flag carrier Philippine Airlines. Sometimes even higher. I prefer the flag carrier, because they depart and arrive mostly 'on time'. And 25 kilo luggage on economy.

3 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Manila + Boracay have 30 Mbps internet speed, selected areas in Manila 50-100+ Mbps.

Manila companies guarantee 50-100 Mbps that cost 20,000 - 50,000 peso per month!

Bohol was better than expected. And I guess Davao city should be good.

Remaining of the country, internet speed and reliability are closer to Zero.

3G Still a dream.

I'm currently in north Cebu province, Globe has no cellphone signal, or internet.

Smart has 1 bar signal, and less than 1 Mbps internet.

No Skype, no Netflix, no Amazon Prime ...

Can't wait to go back to the city.

My experiance with internet there was mixed, i booked AirBNB modern condo complex's each time and internt was excellent, the 2 Manila hotels i stayed in both modern, Red Planet, differant locations, was also excellent, Hotel in Palawan smallish but modern pretty good wifi too....Hotel in Porta Galeria...forget it...supplied with a donegal seemed best early morning the rest of the day it was dropping out and mainly out...

Phone...i use IPhone and at that time it was a 7, first time i stayed on my Aussie sim connecting to globe...ahhh ok for viber and line forget vid calls or browsing...2cd trip i got a globe sim and worked fine...3rd trip got the globe sim again....same area i was in too half the time....rubbish...was a waste of time.

Some coffee shops like the Aussie Coffee Bean have free wifi, not been there enough to know of others, on the second trip that week in Manila i just headed into the MOA and straight to The Coffee Bean to kill a few hours..

You will be dieing for a salad after a while...green food is hehehe hard to find...its rice and fried chicken in half the places..they do have Subways there i was rather amused at the size of there salad bar......Thai salad bar is a little smaller than a Subway Aussie one...be perpared for the absolute basic in green vegies and salad....and i mean be prepared...but hey...its a little bit of green .....haha.

1 hour ago, stailmanki said:

Finally the beaches/islands in PH are just fantastic as compared to Thailand, & what really makes a big difference is the much fewer number tourists who come to PH, 6 or 8 million I think as opposed to 38 million last year in Thailand.

It is not only the beaches and islands - highly recommend anyone to watch this posters Utube videos (he has hundreds and all very high quality and interesting).

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, ExpatPH said:

When Thailand is no longer a long stay option for more and more people, Philippines are a alternative.

But perhaps not a good option for those hiding from US law enforcement (due DSS) or anyone using/dealing drugs (due local enforcement).

Eleven American fugitives arrested after hiding out in the Philippines have now been deported to the face justice in the USA.  Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) appears to have mandate to track them down.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/american-fugitives-deported-justice/

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But perhaps not a good option for those hiding from US law enforcement (due DSS) or anyone using/dealing drugs (due local enforcement).

https://philippineslifestyle.com/american-fugitives-deported-justice/

Agree lopburi3.

Just demonstrates that the local Law Enforcements here in Philippines, are much better than many think.

Police, NBI, Drug enforcements Agency and many more, are hard working to catch any who brake the law, or who managed to sneak into the country.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, ExpatPH said:

I had previous long lasting relationship in Thailand, that felt more like a business deal than love and mutual respect....Here in PH I feel its more real love ... She has proven herself many times to be totally honest and loyal.

Sounds like the best part of living in the PI. 

I'm tired of, and bored with, Thai women.  Wondering how to meet a nice Filipina in Bangkok -- maybe here teaching English (but without wasting time on some Internet "dating" app)?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLAretired said:

Sounds like the best part of living in the PI. 

I'm tired of, and bored with, Thai women.  Wondering how to meet a nice Filipina in Bangkok -- maybe here teaching English (but without wasting time on some Internet "dating" app)?? 

Although you dont like internet dating, Thaifriendly and Pinalove have many pinays located in Thailand.

Else, become a english teacher yourself.

Alternative 'hang out' (joke) at border to Laos where I expect many of them still do their visa runs.

Thai women keep their figure much better, due to healthier eating habbits.

Here in PH most have a big 'belly' at early 20's and keep on gaining weight by the minute. +20 kilos in few years are common. Choose wisely, a slim figure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Thai women keep their figure much better, due to healthier eating habbits.

Agree, but, like a Dylan song, the times they are a-changin.  Thailand is also putting on a lot more weight.  

16 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Alternative 'hang out' (joke) at border to Laos where I expect many of them still do their visa runs.

Savannakhet; with hundreds of visa travelers and many from PI on Monday and Thursdays nights could be a good place to meet as very few options for entertainment.

• Haha 1

Hospitals and medication repeated warning.

To illustrate how it is to have a terminal illness in late stage, and live here in Philippines.

Tramadol is the strongest opioid pain medication for 'moderately severe pain' that my doctors give me, when not admitted.

When admitted Opium tablet 5mg was the strongest given. No opioids IV available. Hour later I was still in extreme pain, but no solution available.

Tramadol only take the peaks of my pain these days, so I basically live with pain 24/7.

I'm too weak for a major surgery after extended blood work, so Tramadol was and still is the strongest they give me.

Another member mentioned earlier, only a few doctors in Manila are licensed to give stronger opioids.

Consider this very seriously, if you have last stage health issues.

ExpatPH

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

We don't have this in Philippines either.

Thailand 'win' again?

Overkil.

478 mostly-illegal foreigners rounded up in immigration raid

So they allow illegals to stay there ?

Handy for the people who cannot meet the immigration requirements in Thailand to know ! ????

Edited by Thaiwrath
  • Sad 1

Food delivery in Cebu.

Motorcycle taxi in Cebu.

Foodpanda in selected cities in Philippines, deliver food on your door in 40-50 minute.

International food, American food, local food, etc. Delivery is mostly free, only a few add on 50peso (1$), a few restaurants have minimum order 300-500php.

Only once did I return food on arrival, because it was already cold. Else I been very satisfied 20+ times.

Pay cash on delivery, online payment available but not reccommended, since refund takes forever. Reviews.

Download on Google play store.

Pros:

Food on your door.

Most restaurants open from 11 am to 9 pm, a few restaurants has longer opening time.

Cons:

Horrible support chat.

Complaints are not followed up.

Don't pay in advance, cold food, 2 hour waiting, no show, all according to reviews.

Cancellation not allowed as soon restaurant start prepare your food.

App on Google play store.

https://www.foodpanda.ph

Angkas, a organized motorcycle taxi service, has returned for anoter 6 months test run.

Order motorcycle taxi online on their App in Google play store and Apple store

Pros:

Always available, on your location within 2 minutes.

You get fixed fare depending of distance ahead of journey, before you confirm.

50% cheaper than taxi car, my experience.

No argument about what route to take, driver take the shortest way, sure.

New clean helmet.

Driver has driver license.

Driver had safety training, many applicants failed driving with a passenger in a "8", and slalom. Link.

My experience, only once did the driver drive uncomfortable and too fast. Else a comfortable ride in moderate speed.

Angkas safety record is 99,7%

End of trip, open the Angkas app again and rate the driver, also possible to comment what was less good.

Implemented Safety rules:

You are required to use helmet and lock it, before journey starts. New clean helmet provided.

Hold driver on his waist, not on his shoulders.

If you want driver to drive slower, tap driver on the shoulder.

Drivers told me they pay Angkas 20% of their income. Fare is already 50% less than taxi fare, drivers don't earn much. I usually tip so they get 80% of taxi car fare, and drivers appreciate this very much. I use Angkas more than taxi, because they always available and nearby.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/05/10/19/angkas-will-focus-on-passenger-safety-during-6-month-test-run

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/pnp-hpg-supports-angkas-pilot-030048463.html

https://www.topgear.com.ph/moto-sapiens/motorcycle-news/angkas-safety-fiesta-2019-a959-20190506

ExpatPH

front.jpg.cf.jpg

how-to-use.jpg.cf.jpg

angkas-applicants-main-1557030317-600x338.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 1:24 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hmmm... the Mastercard/Cirrus ATM international locator website has a roster of 49 supposedly compatible ATMs in Cebu...

Among those listed are a couple dozen Metropolitan Bank and Trust locations, and a couple Philippines Savings Bank locations,  and a couple Bank of the Philippine Islands locations in the Gaisano Mall.

http://www.mastercard.com/interactivelocator/atm.html

The VISA network also has a similar international locator site, and I used that to search for Cebu City:

https://www.visa.com/atmlocator/#(page:results,params:(query:'Cebu City, Cebu, Central Visayas'))

It seems to list various Express Teller and Metropolitan Bank and Trust locations as VISA network compatible.

But oddly, I didn't notice HSBC on either list.

Also, Transferwise has a webpage on using ATMs in the Phils, and their version doesn't make it sound so dire as your comments above....

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-the-philippines

Also I see Citibank Philippines also has a branch in Cebu, so I'm assuming their ATMs would work at least for Citibank cardholders:

Citibank Cebu Branch

Ground Floor
Ayala Life-FGU Center
Mindanao Avenue corner
Biliran Road
Cebu Business Park
Cebu City

I been in Cebu several times never had issues withdrawing money either from a Thai card or U.S Bank.  

Edited by genobkk

All that good stuff how come all the people from the Philippines come to Thailand to work? My 300 Philippine friends tell me it is wages, infrastructure, living conditions, absence of dangerous weather, government, Thai SS medical, Food, food, and a nicer country to live in.  There are 20,000 workers from the Philippines in Thailand.  Ask them.  How many Thai workers in The Philippines?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2019 at 4:35 AM, swissie said:

But not to forget that in  the Philippines divorce is impossible, not even if wife chases you down the road, armed with a kitchen knife.

Above post by OP is an absolute "must-read". Read it word by word, sentence by sentence. Take your time and let every sentance sink in.   
- After having read above post by ExpatPH carefully, anyones urge to re-locate to the Philippines will surely diminish greatly.
Cheers.

It's not impossible to divorce in the Phils but it's priced out of most people's reach. Of course the antidote is simply not to get married. Why do people still do that?

The big drawback with the Phils is that it's cram full of grizzled old Americans. They're like dragons teeth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Traubert said:

It's not impossible to divorce in the Phils but it's priced out of most people's reach

You seem to know something that nobody else knows - annulment is possible.  The Vatican and Philippines do not allow divorce.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

All that good stuff how come all the people from the Philippines come to Thailand to work? My 300 Philippine friends tell me it is wages, infrastructure, living conditions, absence of dangerous weather, government, Thai SS medical, Food, food, and a nicer country to live in.  There are 20,000 workers from the Philippines in Thailand.  Ask them.  How many Thai workers in The Philippines?  

Yes weird that there is  not much demand for Thai-language teachers in the Phillipines duhh. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes weird that there is  not much demand for Thai-language teachers in the Phillipines duhh. 

There is a need for hotel and administrative and engineering employees but the wages are too low to attract Thai people.  There is an special need for welders but Thais can't take the cut in pay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There is a need for hotel and administrative and engineering employees but the wages are too low to attract Thai people.  There is an special need for welders but Thais can't take the cut in pay. 

So we expats shouldn’t relocate from Thailand to Phillipines because some filipinos go to Thailand to work??

Better Start pitching about hospitals again!

Edited by Destiny1990

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

The big drawback with the Phils is that it's cram full of grizzled old Americans. They're like dragons teeth.

The big drawback in Thailand is that it's cram full of whining poms - They're like bleating cry babies  

• Confused 1

Well, it fits the bill for what the OP is looking for, which is, being looked after well, before the inevitable happens. 

He's likely right about one thing: a Filipino would look after you better than a Thai.

I'm not being sarcastic, but there is a reason why Philippines has the most maids around the globe.

That basically outweighs the negatives for him. That and the child. And the negatives are plenty, from infrastructure to being in pain while sick, on light medicine.

For people not in this situation, the dynamic might be different.

It really varies according to what one does. Retired, digital nomad, working in a company.

Google tells me if I am retired i should eye Panama, if I am a digital nomad I should go to Bali or Belgrade, and if I am working for a big company I should live in Singapore ????

By the way, love is also cheaper in Ukraine. They love you long at what some would find affordable prices. But not as low as Philippinnes.

Nevertheless, this is one of the most informative threads I have ever seen on this forum.

Best of luck to the OP.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

How is this relevant? They come to Thailand to work because they can't find jobs in the Philippines or because Thailand salaries are much higher. Also the Philippines have a culture of going to work overseas in higher paying countries and send money back home - much like Isaan girls except with less action...

Manila is indeed a mess with terrible infrastructure, however Angeles City was comfortable, great cheap food, friendly people, and everything costs half of what I pay in Bangkok. Thinking of going back there for a while because I'm sick of overpaying for everything here.

• Like 2