Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Why Clarke isn't used is a mystery to many,

No direct flights. Inconvenient flight connections so you'd have to spend a night in Singapore or fly two different airlines (at a greater cost). I hate the taxi ride from Manila, but it was the lesser and cheaper of two evils.

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Food sucks in PI

Western food in Manila and Angeles is great, and a great selection. I've never had a problem finding any cuisine I wanted. I don't care how Filipino food compares to Thai food as I don't eat either one a regular basis.

Edited by PingRoundTheWorld
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

I have local ATM with online banking android app, and also Visa prepaid card for online purchase.

Standard withdrawal is limited to 10000 Php 95$ per day, apply in the bank for higher limit, I have 50.000 Php limit 950$ per day, applied in the bank with reason condo rental payment.

Foreigner Visa / Mastercard:

Go to HSBC near Ayala center and withdraw max 40.000 per withdrawal. Daily number of withdrawals limit depends of your bank own limits, in country of origin.

Expat, assuming a person has home country VISA and/or MC debit and/or credit cards, can't they use those home country cards there for both in-store and online purchases, and even for ATM withdrawals from their home country accounts?  (Assuming they know what their home country bank and/or the PH bank would charge in fees for that...)

In Thailand, you can use home country credit and debit cards to make in-store and online purchases pretty much just like you would with any Thai bank card. And, also in Thailand of course, you can use those home country cards to withdraw local cash from Thai bank ATMs, usually $500 to $1000 per withdrawal, depending on both the particular ATM being used and your home bank's daily limits.

Is the PH and PH banks and ATMs any different about that?

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Expat, assuming a person has home country VISA and/or MC debit and/or credit cards, can't they use those home country cards there for both in-store and online purchases, and even for ATM withdrawals from their home country accounts?  (Assuming they know what their home country bank and/or the PH bank would charge in fees for that...)

In Thailand, you can use home country credit and debit cards to make in-store and online purchases pretty much just like you would with any Thai bank card. And, also in Thailand of course, you can use those home country cards to withdraw local cash from Thai bank ATMs, usually $500 to $1000 per withdrawal, depending on both the particular ATM being used and your home bank's daily limits.

Is the PH and PH banks and ATMs any different about that?

Visa and Mastercard works in the stores, in the malls, and selected restaurants (TGIF).

My Visa from home has been declined twice on online purchase, but always works on Agoda. I got a local prepaid Visa card for online purchases.

Only a few ATM accept cash withdraval with foreigner Visa Mastercard.

Limit 800$+- per withdrawal.

6 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Only a few ATM accept cash withdraval with foreigner Visa Mastercard.

Limit 800$+- per withdrawal.

The typical PH bank ATM doesn't accept foreign VISA or MCs for cash withdrawals???

So then, do you mean like using the HSBC one near Ayala you mentioned above?

What if you're out in the sticks somewhere?  Isn't there any PH bank company whose ATMs will accept foreign ATM cards everywhere?

19 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Hospitals and quality of care:

Short version: Horrible, on pair with Cambodia.

Long version:

Even the best private hospitals here, are only good for food infection, broken limbs, small traffic accidents etc.

Except 1 or 2 private hospitals in Manila.

A serious medical internal illness, you will try to get to Thailand if you can fly in your condition.

Friend and myself have been admitted to hospitals here.

Government hospitals are not for foreigners, unless you ok to wait for the doctor a day or two, and get a bed in the hallway. No aircon and very few fans. 

Lack of hospitals is obvious, all are filled to the brim, and then more. They are cheap though.

Private hospitals, I been to 2 of the 5 best here.

You must have Philhealth (cover 30% of the hospital bill) or private insurance (Pacific cross the best) before they will admit it.

No insurance or not 500$ or more in cash, you will not be admitted!

Private hospital, doctor say he she will be back at a certain time same day, no show until next day.

Nurse seldom come by to check up.

Severe pain?

The strongest they give you is morphine pill only. No IV Morphine here!

You must have a friend with you at hospital 24/7. They must do all the paperwork, and its a lot. They must also run to pharmacy for you.

Daily payment is demanded if you don't have private insurance.

Expect 400-700$ per 24 hours in private hospital.

Lack of medicine:

many medicines are not available here. Expats who have a serious illness, bring with them medicine from overseas.  Just clear ahead with Customs, that you're allowed to bring it in, and in what quantum. Might also need a preaproved certificate from government department.

A foreigner just made the local news, imported a large quantum of some drugs that can also be used to make narcotics. His future is not good.

Summary: for general medical situations you be ok. For more severe situations, you out of luck. This is not compatible to Thai hospitals, in any way.

Regards

ExpatPH

I would second that.  Very accurate.  If requiring/dependent on quality health care at a good price, Thailand is the optimal middle of the road option with or without insurance when considering Philippines, Singapore, Thailand.  Cigna is an excellent option to consider.   Philippines = Flinstones...Thailand = Jetson's.  That sums it up.  In terms of overall lifestyle, I like both countries for different reasons, both have advantages and significant drawbacks depending on preferences.  Example, food, internet, pollution, noise, immigration, banking, etc.

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

1. Yes typical ATM do not accept foreign card.

Hmmm... the Mastercard/Cirrus ATM international locator website has a roster of 49 supposedly compatible ATMs in Cebu...

Among those listed are a couple dozen Metropolitan Bank and Trust locations, and a couple Philippines Savings Bank locations,  and a couple Bank of the Philippine Islands locations in the Gaisano Mall.

http://www.mastercard.com/interactivelocator/atm.html

The VISA network also has a similar international locator site, and I used that to search for Cebu City:

https://www.visa.com/atmlocator/#(page:results,params:(query:'Cebu City, Cebu, Central Visayas'))

It seems to list various Express Teller and Metropolitan Bank and Trust locations as VISA network compatible.

But oddly, I didn't notice HSBC on either list.

Also, Transferwise has a webpage on using ATMs in the Phils, and their version doesn't make it sound so dire as your comments above....

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-the-philippines

Will my credit or debit card work in the Philippines?

Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted in the Philippines. Discover cards have ‘moderate’ acceptance rates - you can use them at Citibank, SB Card, and BDO Unibank ATMs, but not elsewhere. Amex cards can be used in BDO ATMs, so if that’s your main card you’ll want to get familiar with local branches.

Also:

What are the fees at ATMs in the Philippines?

There are a good number of international banks represented in the Philippines, such as HSBC, ANZ and Citibank. If you bank with one of these brands already, you might get free or cheap cash withdrawals if you stick to their ATMs.

I see Citibank Philippines also has a branch in Cebu, so I'm assuming their ATMs would work at least for Citibank cardholders:

Citibank Cebu Branch

Ground Floor
Ayala Life-FGU Center
Mindanao Avenue corner
Biliran Road
Cebu Business Park
Cebu City

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hmmm... the Mastercard/Cirrus ATM international locator website has a roster of 49 supposedly compatible ATMs in Cebu...

I believe what you write, but so many tourist and expats lost their card in ATM, so all of us here strictly only use HSBC, the one you say wasn't on the list. That's strange.

I travel north and south of the city until last year, and ATM did not have a logo for international cards.

Earlier when I was located in province 2 hrs away, I tried many ATM on my way to HSBC in City.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatPH said:

Yes typical ATM do not accept foreign card.

That has not been my experience. Almost every ATM in Manila and Angeles (tourist/expat heavy areas) worked for me. The only problem is they only allow you to withdraw 10,000 pesos ($192) at a time and charge 250 pesos fee, so effectively you're paying a 2.5% fee plus whatever fees your home bank charges.

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

That has not been my experience. Almost every ATM in Manila and Angeles (tourist/expat heavy areas) worked for me. The only problem is they only allow you to withdraw 10,000 pesos ($192) at a time and charge 250 pesos fee, so effectively you're paying a 2.5% fee plus whatever fees your home bank charges.

Either open an account if possible or have a gf there that has one and she can withdraw for you free of charge

13 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

I believe what you write, but so many tourist and expats lost their card in ATM, so all of us here strictly only use HSBC, the one you say wasn't on the list. That's strange.

I travel north and south of the city until last year, and ATM did not have a logo for international cards.

Earlier when I was located in province 2 hrs away, I tried many ATM on my way to HSBC in City.

Are you familiar at all with Metropolitan Bank and Trust, the bank or its ATMs?

They seem to be one of the most common entities with supposed MasterCard compatibility...

But I have no idea what kind of bank they are or how they fit into the world of PH banks...

7 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

That has not been my experience. Almost every ATM in Manila and Angeles (tourist/expat heavy areas) worked for me. The only problem is they only allow you to withdraw 10,000 pesos 

Not been to Manila or Angeles, good to know it works there.

Strange that area only allow 10000 php withdrawal, when we in Cebu withdraw 40000 php per withdraval.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I just came back from two weeks in Angeles City. Loved it there to a point I would consider relocating, at least part time.

The good:

Lots of (girly) bars, and nightlife is good - the bars close at 3am, clubs close at 4-5am, some afterhours bars open much later if you want to keep drinking beyond that. High Society (club) is packed every night of the week and cheap compared to Thailand. A bottle of Belvedere is 4500 pesos ($87), Absolut is 3000 ($57) if I remember correctly. Bangkok clubs are almost twice as much.

I don't know about other clubs and bars, but High Society will keep a bottle for up to a week if you don't finish it that night, so that $87/57 can actually stretch into 2-3 nights depending how much you drink. I was with friends so we always finished it, but that also meant my spending per night on alcohol was only $40-50. In Thailand it's easily double that.

Bar fines are standard 3500 ($67), of which the girl gets half.

Feels a LOT safer than Manila. I had no problem walking around walking street vicinity day or night.

If you stay near walking street than everything you need is within walking distance including nightlife, restaurants, huge mall (SM Clark). My phone fell down and needed the screen replaced - done within 30 minutes at the mall.

Most people you meet speak English.

The bad:

Hotels were often fully booked, so I had to settle for crappier hotels. Hotel price/value is not that great but you do get what you pay for. The really good hotels start around 3500 ($67) a night so not cheap if you're planning a long stay. There are cheaper hotels and short-term condos, but they are mostly farther away or just crappy.

If you stay farther away from walking street you'll have to rely on jeepneys. 100 pesos even for a two minute ride. This can add up if you need to make several trips a day.

Getting to Angeles is a pain in the ass - your options are either to fly into Manila and take a taxi for 3500 pesos ($67), or connect in Hong Kong/Singapore/Korea and fly directly to Clark airport. Taxi takes about 2 hours but could take 3 or more if traffic is bad. There's also buses available but that'll take even longer.

Although the speak English - comprehension is hit or miss - you often get your order wrong.

Internet speed ranges from shit to underwhelming. Out of 4 hotels I stayed at, only one had a decent internet speed.

The nightlife is good if you like to party - but about 95% of the girls there are working. You're unlikely to meet a "normal" girl out partying.

I'm not sure how you would go about actually meeting a normal girl there - dating site/apps don't seem to be popular. Of course you could "date" a freelancer or bar girl, and yes they'll be less demanding than a Thai one, but I don't see the point of paying someone to date you.

Bugs - 2 out of 4 hotels were infested with ants, one had all sorts of other bugs, another had cockroaches (in the public area - not in the room), got some mosquito bites, etc.

Girls in clubs - even working girls - are picky. I've seen many girls decline advances from guys.

Speaking of guys - lots of creepy/weirdo guys there too. Definitely less quality expats than Bangkok. Don't think I would make many friends there.

Bottom line:

It's a great place to stay or live short term, but might be a bit too small and repetitive to stay longer. Assuming immigration doesn't get their shit together that's my plan B, for now. I also like Phnom Penh, but it's even smaller and nightlife not as good. Might split my time between the two and Bangkok if it comes to that. The gf will not be happy, lol.

Jeepmeys are 12 php maybe you mean trikes are 100. I dont do the bar scene much as have a Mrs there but when have been anywhere in fields its only 2300 my friends paid

16 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Yep, you'd be looking for a sticker/stickers on the ATM showing it works with PLUS, or Cirrus or Maestro networks. But of course, different banks may be better or worse with actually identifying their own ATMs with those kinds of IDs.

3 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Not been to Manila or Angeles, good to know it works there.

Strange that area only allow 10000 php withdrawal, when we in Cebu withdraw 40000 php per withdraval.

From Transferwise:

Otherwise, the ATM providers rules will apply instead. These vary between different banks. BPI limits its customers to between PHP20,000 and PHP50,000 per day, with a maximum of 6 withdrawals allowed daily, for example.

As a holder of a foreign card, you might find that you are subject to stricter daily limits. Some travellers have reported hitting withdrawal limits as low as PHP4,000.

It’s also worth noting that some expats writing online warn visitors of issues in the Philippines when ATMs run out of money, for example, during peak holiday periods when they were not re-stocked regularly. It’s worth making sure you have enough cash for your needs if you happen to be there at a busy time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Thank you very much baansgr, for your feedback and shared experience in country here.

Angeles would be my choice today, if I was younger and in better health, so that I could enjoy what Angeles has to offer.

I like to have expat friend around, why I choosed Cebu. Cebu was more lively and fun when I moved here, than now.

With building boom both in Angeles and Cebu, as well as other places, investors have belief in the economic future for the country.

I hope better Hospitals and quality of care, will follow the current big Chinese investments here.

Why nowadays u might prefer AC over Cebu? Is it walkingstreet with all its gogobars? Those u can find also in Cebu just not all besides eachother.

AC has simular amount of foreigners but the problem with AC for me is a lack of a beach and that for some reason never ever any money by government get invested in the place probably due too corruption.

I been told though that there lots of housing gated subdivision for good prices in Angeles City.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why nowadays u might prefer AC over Cebu? Is it walkingstreet with all its gogobars? Those u can find also in Cebu just not all besides eachother.

I think I wrote, if I was younger.

Cebu closed all popular places at mango square. Mango was the heart of the nightlife.

Marshalls Irish pub is only place left on mango for drinking. No freelancers.

• Like 1