Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

Try buy a condo in Phillipines i dare u.

in Thailand its very straightforward process u pay u get title.

In Phillipines u pay and wait can be months can be years can be scammed one thing is sure u will end up with a telephone book size of an amount of papers copies etc etc for one unit.

there about 9 different institutions involved with a purchase thailand its judt go land office and u done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Whats aggravates me in Phillipines are those millions of jeepnies with their toxic 40 years old diesel engines killing poisining all pedestrians. Look at Cebu the real problem is lack of money. U get taxed for everything in Phillipines much more then in Thailand however the government there is always broke??

They make many beautiful infrastructure plans on computer animation screen for 200 pesos but thats it.

why Cebu doesnt have a BTS from Bantayan all the way till Badian etc? It will come but by that time we are all death and forgotten. Third bridge to lapu2x supposed to be ready 2 years ago hiwever construction started 4 months ago takes 4-5 more years.etc

a dangerous crossing instead of fixing that crossing they just block a whole street its a problem because now all traffic is stuck forever but the dangerous crossing situation  is fixed according to them..

Agree. What most locals dont understand is the country wide smoking ban, while jeepneys continue to pollute all the country.

Small attempts with new modern E-jeepney met a lot of opposition.

Complaints we cant afford to finance a new vehicle. So far, those in charge has backed down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Agree. What most locals dont understand is the country wide smoking ban, while jeepneys continue to pollute all the country.

Small attempts with new modern E-jeepney met a lot of opposition.

Complaints we cant afford to finance a new vehicle. So far, those in charge has backed down.

All current jeeps are illegal should be crushed everybody knows that. There are new jeeps clean engines enclosed with aircon seats 35 and plus but somehow nobody finances again the money problem...

Edited by Destiny1990

On 4/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Western food in Manila and Angeles is great, and a great selection.

The Eatigo app works in Manila and has good options.  I stayed in the Greenbelt Mall area for 2 weeks last fall and had some great food without having to go more than a few blocks out of the way.  I was surprised at how many low to mid-price options there were.  Found a few great restaurants I will happily return to.

• Like 1

Regards jeepneys, this could be solved with another loan from big brother Japan.

Then a reasonable interest free 15-20 years payment plan.

Isn't that difficult really.

Ok, country wide 10 peso fare would help the vehicle owners, except instantly 50 million complaints. They dont see what benefit themself, their health and their future.

Small kids toddlers will beg u very consistently in ur face or pull ur shorts for food and pesos coins. U will see them each and every day they sleep in groups on carton boxes things in open streets. Things like that we never experience in Thailand but that is very normal in phillipines. sooner or later it breaks ur heart number one reason for foreigners to leave is orher people their poverty.

Edited by Destiny1990

25 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Regards jeepneys, this could be solved with another loan from big brother Japan.

Then a reasonable interest free 15-20 years payment plan.

Isn't that difficult really.

Ok, country wide 10 peso fare would help the vehicle owners, except instantly 50 million complaints. They dont see what benefit themself, their health and their future.

Yes but its similar to the air quality in chiang mai each year they talk but very little changes.. Same goes for the jeeps in Phillipines. Obviously i like both Countries they are my favorite 2 in asia but at some points thailand wins and on other points Phillipines wins.

one clear strong point phills holds over thailand is its less complicated visa wise. U feel more welcome and appreciated there as a foreigner but if Phillipines get same number of foreigners as Thailand that could change too.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Obviously i like both Countries they are my favorite 2 in asia but at some points thailand wins and on other points Phillipines wins.

one clear strong point phills holds over thailand is its less complicated visa wise. U feel more welcome and appreciated there as a foreigner but if Phillipines get same number of foreigners as Thailand that could change too.

Happy to read that more people like it here. Its so incredible different from TH, still PH have something that many become found of.

TH has 130% higher GDP per capita than PH, something many forget when they compare.

NBI is very good to stop bad guys at point of entry. Many nationalities who already in country has been expelled and blacklisted due to crimes. Most drug related cases, then minor cases and trafficking.

Visa is simple and easy so far, lets hope it stays so.

https://psa.gov.ph/tourism-satellite-accounts-press-releases

2017 PTSA.png

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 6:04 PM, ExpatPH said:

Jeepney 12 peso there?

Cebu only 7 peso.

From one city to another city, always something different.

Jeepney are around 12 pesos there depending on the destination. Not 100 pesos as another poster said.  Also there are hotels and agencies there that will provide transport from the airport to Angeles for as low as 2500 pesos. Reliable and comfortable bus services around 350.

Angeles has hotels that cater to all budgets.   My favourite hotel in Walking Street has a pool, elevator, good restaurant and excellent staff. Prices start at 1600 pesos and you get a 10% discount if you pay cash. Hotel is scrupulously clean.

Plenty of places that serve good western food at reasonable prices.   At most restaurants the waitress will repeat your order back to you in perfect English. Rarely if ever have I received the wrong food. 

Also a point worth noting is that Walking Street is not the only area to have bars, hotels and women.  Perimeter area has plenty of bars, restaurants and hotels that are significantly cheaper than the Walking Street area. Predominantly a daytime drinking area though.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

25 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

My monthly spending over the years. Some examples.

Rented 80sqm 2 floor house in the province next to the sea. Rent 270$ electric water 80$, grocerys 95$, visa 50$, gf support 120$,

total 615$ per month

Rented 26 sqm fully furnished studio in city center 480$ incl fiber internet and cable tv, electric water 65$. Dine out daily 575$, grocerys 95$, visa 50$, gf support 120$, transport 30$

total 1.415$ per month.

Rented furnished 1 floor of a 2 floor house 60sqm outskirts within city limit rent 230$, electric water 75$, transport 75$, grocerys 150$, dine out 200$, gf support 120$ cabletv 35$, visa 50$, total 935$ per month.

Lowest spending per month 615$.

Highest spending per month as single 1.500$

Regards

ExpatPH

A/C is included ??

47 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Jeepney are around 12 pesos there depending on the destination. Not 100 pesos as another poster said.

Sorry, I meant trikes.

I've been trying to find condos around Fields vicinity, but couldn't really find anything that is comfortably walking distance. Any idea if any exist? Ideally with a pool and a gym, but not 100% necessary. Speaking of gym - I assume they exist - any idea where and prices?

Not entirely sure but I'll probably be back there around June for 2-3 weeks.

On local forums we had and still have a never ending banter, can you live for 600-800$ per month in PH.

I was one of the naysayers, used to city life and nightlife. Until I lived for a longer time in the province. Then I realized It's absolutely possible without suffering, or 'going on local' food only. 

I got my foreign groceries from city as well, All in, my low spending of only 615$ per month.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I've been trying to find condos around Fields vicinity, but couldn't really find anything that is comfortably walking distance. Any idea if any exist? Ideally with a pool and a gym, but not 100% necessary. Speaking of gym - I assume they exist - any idea where and prices?

Ask on local forums.

Livingincebuforums

And Ph-addicts

Edited by ExpatPH

21 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sorry, I meant trikes.

Kandi Reality...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Only seems to be Thailand that makes visas, extensions difficult, yes other countries have a bond deposit but in return you can own property, have a lifetime visa or even work....Thailand offers nowt in return except more beurocracy...I've had to visit immigration 5 times this year and we are only in the month of April...what kind of BS is that.

Yes BS big time. Unless your girlfriend is working at Immigration????

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, swissie said:

Question: Are Bars, Restaurants, Hotels "public places"?
----------------------------------------------

Every inch of the country is 'Public place' and Non - smoking (except private property) unless,

- 'Designated smoking area' 

- Tiny minority of restaurants that got exemption from local city hall.

In Cebu city I only know bar area at TGIF, and designated smoking area on 4th level Ayala center near The Social restaurant.

However the smoking guards stop work at 6pm, so we do smoke on the streets after that time, but look out for police and other officials.

Angeles less strict, according to tourists who been there.

20190407_234954.jpg

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Every inch of the country is 'Public place' and Non - smoking unless,

- 'Designated smoking area' 

- Tiny minority of restaurants that got exemption from local city hall.

In Cebu city I only know bar area at TGIF, and designated smoking area on 4th level Ayala center near The Social restaurant.

However the smoking guards stop work at 6pm, so we do smoke on the streets after that time, but look out for police and other officials.

Angeles less strict, according to tourists who been there.

20190407_234954.jpg

THX. I was afraid of that. It's like a verdict: Few smokers will re-locate to Phil. In my case not even for a Holiday.

Do you think the Smoking-Ban will be lifted if the current "Head of State" takes up smoking again?

1 minute ago, swissie said:

Do you think the Smoking-Ban will be lifted if the current "Head of State" takes up smoking again?

Don't hold your breath.

Not until after next election, and even after that, the political correctness and conservative culture, I would assume that the smoking ban will last forever.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sorry, I meant trikes.

Not many condos around fields.

u better book a hotel for such short period fields is dotted with hotels lots have pools.

On other hand airbnb is very popular if that’s ur thing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

On a more serious note. As I mentioned before, your Info's concerning Phil are outstanding. You may have noticed that there are other Threads floating around with regard to "Leaving Thailand" and moving somewhere else. (One Thread focusing on South America has drawn a lot of attention). But nobody delivering comprehensive Info's about any of those countries as you did concerning Phil.

- Checking out SA Countries is like playing Detective on the Internet.

Folks, interested in SA would be delighted to have an Info-Source comparable to what you deliver in connection with the Philippines.

I mean it. Well done.

Thank you so much for those nice words of appreciation, swissie.

I also mentioned before to join our local forums, for more opinions than mine.

Colombia, Costa Rica. Dominican republic. Latin America, so many options. Personal safety is a big issue also at those locations. And who knows about hospitals.

Repeat our local forums related to PH.

Livingincebuforums

Philippines-expats

(Philippines-addicts)

Thanks again swissie.