Democracy in decline

rooster59

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

If Thai citizens don't feel like they live in a free country they should see what it is like being a foreigner in Thailand.  Thailand is the only country in the world who require foreigners to check in with their immigration every 90 days, and fill out TM forms for every ridicules reason these people could come up with.  

Parolees in most western countries have more freedoms than expats in Thailand.  According to Mr. Big Joke, foreigners can expect even more restrictions on them in next months announcement regarding tightening up requirements for one year visa extensions.  The new one year extension requirements are making living in Thailand not worth the effort.

It is all beyond inane. If only the biggest joke and his ilk, could see what they truly looked like to the world. Such fools. Such nonsense. Such fake puritanism. This administration is a scourge to the nation. They must go. Five more years of this? Can anyone even imagine what Thailand would look like in 2024, when Prayuth is finished with his ten year term of diminishing the nation, and utterly destroying the tourism industry and the Thai economy?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Thailand is worlds number one in poisonous air, among the leading countries in producing lethal road accidents but not yet really high ranking in world's most disgusting dictatorships.

Go on, uncle tu, there's still work to do.

But, But as you know Thailand claims to be the hub of so many things already so just let it add poisonous air, anti democratic values,  and numerous road accidents to the list ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

With the Brexit debacle and the rise of Trump it is a surprise that anyone is promoting democracy these days.

Rooster

i am hopeful that America will sort itself out and saner heads will prevail.  i think the 2018 elections show some hope for the future.  love to watch Trump squirm

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

And, the irony is that wherever in the world you find Thais outside Thailand, a significant percentage are living and working illegally.

I'm not sure if they are stupid or smart for exploiting other countries and then treating foreigners in their country like dirt. 

Maybe they are quite smart indeed. ????

not smart when they are being colonized by China what are you smoking look around!

Unfortunately many members here read the two main English-language newspapers and believe they are simply reporting facts rather than spinning facts and slanting stories so as to favour one set of political values over another.  Expect to hear the usual "but X paid for his votes".  Democracy takes practice and constant vigilance.  Thailand is still caught up in a "rotten boroughs" model of the 18th and early 19th century in the UK, combined with an almost total lack of the transparency and accountability on which successful democracies are built.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

not smart when they are being colonized by China what are you smoking look around!

I think I failed to make my point. What I was really feeling is that many of our western countries should consider reciprocal treatment of Asians. Throughout Asia, they treat Westerners as 3rd and 4th class citizens while exploiting our countries' resources and benefits. 

I would love to see Thais given specific treatment directly proportional to their common illegal activity and how poorly they treat foreigners in Thailand. 

• Like 1