Ferry To Samui

Hi all

Can i ask what may be a silly question?

I arive at Surrathani in a few days time, early in the morning (around 6am) and will obviously need to catch the ferry to Samui. Is it worth getting the ferry from Surrathani which is only a short distance from the bus station, or should i go the extra 60 miles and taxi to Donsak?

I have used the ferry from Donsak dozens of times, on organised visa runs. Never used the ferry from Surathani though (apart from the night boat once), and this is the first time i arive in surathani not realy knowing what is best to do.

Im thinking its about an hour to Donsak from Surrathani, and to avoid getting ripped off by a taxi driver, i may aswell just get the boat from Surrathani?

Hi all

Can i ask what may be a silly question?

I arive at Surrathani in a few days time, early in the morning (around 6am) and will obviously need to catch the ferry to Samui. Is it worth getting the ferry from Surrathani which is only a short distance from the bus station, or should i go the extra 60 miles and taxi to Donsak?

I have used the ferry from Donsak dozens of times, on organised visa runs. Never used the ferry from Surathani though (apart from the night boat once), and this is the first time i arive in surathani not realy knowing what is best to do.

Im thinking its about an hour to Donsak from Surrathani, and to avoid getting ripped off by a taxi driver, i may aswell just get the boat from Surrathani?

not much difference in the price from surattani takes 2.5 hours 1.5 from donsak but the bus can take 1 hour personnally i prefer surat as the buses do tend to go to fast a bit nerv racking at times .going from surat the boat is smaller and noisier and dont carry a lot of refreshments but 7/11 opposite so get a drink in there the fjrst hour or so goes along the river bank so a few things to look at to pass the time also only been approach by bungalow reps touts a gouple of times the long bus ride from bkk thats all you need donsak is full of reps ...............

Cheers Lazeeboy - I have got the bus to Surathani twice. Once i think it took me to the bus station, and another time it droped me at the top of a soi which lead to the pier. Any idea where i will end up this time? Either way, its not too far to the pier, is it?

To be honest, both times i have done it i take sleeping pills. When i wake up at Surrathani the first 20 minutes is a complete blur, as my mind is so twisted up from a 10 hour pill induced kip. Thats why i cant realy remember the procedure... :o Just kinda, find myself on a boat somehow, with no recalection of how i got there.

Any idea how frequently the boats leave Surathani? And does the Surathani boat arive at nathon or the other pier just south? I ask as i need to grab a songtheaw into Chaweng.

Also, if i decide to go to Donsak.... you mentioned bus? You can bus to Donsak?

Edited by StickKettleOn

Depending on where you are coming from before getting to ST, there are bus services that go onto the ferries at Don Sak over to KS directly. I guess they go round the island as there is little point in taking a 64 seat bus over just to drop off at Nathon. I've no direct experiance of the bus trip as I drive.

Cheers Lazeeboy - I have got the bus to Surathani twice. Once i think it took me to the bus station, and another time it droped me at the top of a soi which lead to the pier. Any idea where i will end up this time? Either way, its not too far to the pier, is it?

To be honest, both times i have done it i take sleeping pills. When i wake up at Surrathani the first 20 minutes is a complete blur, as my mind is so twisted up from a 10 hour pill induced kip. Thats why i cant realy remember the procedure... :o Just kinda, find myself on a boat somehow, with no recalection of how i got there.

Any idea how frequently the boats leave Surathani? And does the Surathani boat arive at nathon or the other pier just south? I ask as i need to grab a songtheaw into Chaweng.

Also, if i decide to go to Donsak.... you mentioned bus? You can bus to Donsak?

stick they leave every 2 hours from 6am buses to donsak can be book in bkk travel agent ie kowsang road etc or in surattani it self there an office in the high st next to the big department store cant remember the name off hand though and the ferry arrives in nathon town .........

Hi lazeeboy - I already have the ticket to Surrathani, maybe they can also bolt on a bus for me from Surathani to Donsak. Ill ask them.

That said, i will probably just get on the boat at Surathani.

Cuban - thank, you have jogged my memmory now. The busses do indeed go all the way to Samui. I think they terminate at lipa Noi

Cheers

Hi lazeeboy - I already have the ticket to Surrathani, maybe they can also bolt on a bus for me from Surathani to Donsak. Ill ask them.

That said, i will probably just get on the boat at Surathani.

Cuban - thank, you have jogged my memmory now. The busses do indeed go all the way to Samui. I think they terminate at lipa Noi

Cheers

Depends what ferry company you use.

Raja go to Lipa Noi

Seatran go to Nathon. Both depart from Donsak