DPM Somkid: Expanding tourism relies on the Chinese and Indians

rooster59

DPM Somkid: Expanding tourism relies on the Chinese and Indians

tourist.JPG

Image: Daily News

Deputy Prime Minister and economist Somkid Jatusripitak met with the TAT yesterday to urge them to drive tourism forward in the next three to four months despite a difficult economic outlook. 

The way to do this he said was to continue to promote the country as a tourist destination for Chinese and Indian high spenders in particular. 

Alongside the DPM was tourism minister Weerasak Kowsurat. 

The meeting confirmed that free visa on arrival - previously charged at 2,000 baht - would be available to 20 countries and Taiwan from May 1st though to the end of October this year. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-06

• Haha 1

Thailand apparently has water shortage problems that vary in severity each year.

How will this be impacted by all the extra tourists.

Many hotels in Thailand have very poor water heating systems. I stay in a lot of hotels in thailand very frequently I have to leave the taps running for several minutes before How Wayer comes.

Imagine the impact when this is done many of millions of times over.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

"High spending Indians"

The same ones who would rather take a 20% share in a Pattaya hooker rather than just purchasing one for themselves? 

Righto.

I dont think Thailand makes much extra revenue from hookers fees other than the tax paid on tattoos and lip balm. Do you?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Thailand apparently has water shortage problems that vary in severity each year.

Many hotels in Thailand have very poor water heating systems. I stay in a lot of hotels in thailand very frequently I have to leave the taps running for several minutes before How Wayer comes.

Maybe most tourists would rather take a cool shower in 35C heat than wait for the hot water to come down from the roof? The fact that the pipes are full of cool water would seems to back this up unless no-one is taking a shower at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Sigh. The point clearly went over your head. I'm implying that the same people who would rather group purchase a hooker presumably arent big spenders. But in any case you also forgot the tax on condoms and lube

And at the risk of being accused of posting in bad taste, given their - umh, reputed propensity for "four, one after each other" they probably spend a goodly amount on those two commodities!

• Haha 1

Like it or lump it Thailand is known as a destination for a cheap, cheerful holiday. And it has served the country well. The concept of freedom has been particularly important. When you start driving people in to restaurants because there are no longer street vendors, or close down entertainment centres through some mistaken belief that this will then bring in 5 star punters, or even ban people from vaping because it is apparently as dangerous as smoking (which is nevertheless still permitted), then that is when tourism starts to fail.  And there are ramifications for wider investment too- back to basics!

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

They want to attract "Chinese and Indian high spenders in particular" - probably comes as a surprise to some people on TV that there are high spending Chinese and Indian tourists. This doesn't mean the hordes of loud, aggressive tedious zero dollar group tour visitors, certainly not a market TAT should be encouraging - it's the 2 million+ Chinese people with more than a million USD to invest - each of whom has more money to burn than a 1,000 whingeing old white blokes. Also Indian weddings for example - 100s of guests taking over an entire hotel in Phuket for a week.

Still chasing those elusive five star tourists- the ones that throw around a hundred dollar bills for a poor quality product, and even worse service. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bowerboy said:

sissy, i always use unheated water for my showers in thailand.

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

They want to attract "Chinese and Indian high spenders in particular" - probably comes as a surprise to some people on TV that there are high spending Chinese and Indian tourists. This doesn't mean the hordes of loud, aggressive tedious zero dollar group tour visitors, certainly not a market TAT should be encouraging - it's the 2 million+ Chinese people with more than a million USD to invest - each of whom has more money to burn than a 1,000 whingeing old white blokes. Also Indian weddings for example - 100s of guests taking over an entire hotel in Phuket for a week.

And I am not Chinese or Indian

11 hours ago, mok199 said:

Time to make some sustainable changes to protect our air and environment,and stop treating Thailands natural resources like a cash pie....

It reminds me of the guy who starts driving for uber and expects to make a pile of money until he eventually realizes his car now needs a host of repairs and maintenance he didn't add into the equation. 

11 hours ago, Traubert said:

I dont think Thailand makes much extra revenue from hookers fees other than the tax paid on tattoos and lip balm. Do you?

I believe the member was just using the hooker example to demonstrate the point that these groups are not big spenders in general.