A quick question about seasoning period and "filing date" (retirement extension)

I have mentioned in previous discussions how I topped-up my bank balance two months prior to my current extension's expiration date instead of three months because of the new rule.  My current extension expires on May 24th so I made sure to top-up to 800K on March 22nd, beating the two-month seasoning requirement by two days.

However I just noticed that the policy says:

(4) Prior to the filing date for no less than 2 months, and after permission is granted for no less than 3 months, the applicant must have deposited...

Prior to the filing date. Not prior to the date my extension expires.  I was planning to go to CW tomorrow, which would make my filing date April 9.  A literal reading of the above rule means I should have had the account topped-up February 9th at the latest in order to be able to apply for the extension tomorrow.  

Since I topped-up my bank account on March 22nd, does that mean I need to wait until May 22nd to file for my extension? That would be cutting it close.

8 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Since I topped-up my bank account on March 22nd, does that mean I need to wait until May 22nd to file for my extension?

That’s correct. It’s 2 months prior to the date you apply.

• Like 2

Ugh - sinking feeling.  I don't know how I missed that.

Let's say that, in the (hopefully unlikely) event that when I go on May 22nd and if it turns out that I am missing some crucial document and I have to come back, I could get some kind of short-term extension to give me a few days to get what I need?  I think I have everything already prepared now, but you never know, and the thought of applying on the 22nd when my current extension expires on the 24th is unnerving.

Just now, attrayant said:

Let's say that, in the (hopefully unlikely) event that when I go on May 22nd and if it turns out that I am missing some crucial document and I have to come back, I could get some kind of short-term extension to give me a few days to get what I need?  I think I have everything already prepared now, but you never know, and the thought of applying on the 22nd when my current extension expires on the 24th is unnerving.

I nearly caught myself the same way this year.  Used some of the money in the Immigration account, which I'd never done before.  8 months FLEW by and one day late last year, it hit me, holy s**t, I better top up to 800k!

Luckily I changed from marriage to retirement this year, so they applied the 2 month "first time" seasoning rule.  It would have been really close otherwise. 

Hopefully you get a sensible I/O.  Good luck.  ????

18 minutes ago, attrayant said:

There is no short extension they could give you. If the extension application is completed after the 24th they will still let you extend (late), but they’ll charge you 500 baht per day in overstay fines.

• Like 1

Where will you be applying ? Come back here with a checklist of all the documents you will be providing. People on here can likely spot if you have forgotten anything. On application day, be standing at Immigration (or your bank's door, if you need a bank letter) at opening time. If somebody places an unexpected roadblock in front of you, you at least have the rest of the business day to deal with it.

It does appear you left it a bit late. Most would ensure they had the 800k in place for the seasoning 2 months prior to the date of application, and perform that application a few weeks, or even a month ahead of the expiration of last years extension. 

Get in there sharpish May 23rd.

From my experience, if you deposited the money on Jan. 9, they will process you on Apr. 9. Regarding my own recent experience, I had wondered what they would do with the 28 day month of Feb.  They counted it as a full month, which it certainly is.

The worst that will happen is that they will tell you to return the next day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:
5 hours ago, attrayant said:

Why not May 22nd? March 22-May 22 is two months.

Only that you topped up on March 22nd, so it might be interpreted as not a complete 2 months. 

If the funds are deposited on March 22nd they will have been in the account for two calendar months on May 21st; which means the first day you can apply for the extension is May 22nd.

• Thanks 2

Just now, elviajero said:

If the funds are deposited on March 22nd they will have been in the account for two calendar months on May 21st; which means the first day you can apply for the extension is May 22nd.

That's what I'm counting on.  

I went today to do my TM30 and everything went smoothly.  At least that's one less thing I'll have to worry about next month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allane said:

From my experience, if you deposited the money on Jan. 9, they will process you on Apr. 9. Regarding my own recent experience, I had wondered what they would do with the 28 day month of Feb.  They counted it as a full month, which it certainly is.

The worst that will happen is that they will tell you to return the next day.

Your experience is right. They count in months not days. So it doesn’t matter whether the funds have been in the account for 59 or 62 days.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1