A really bizare internet connection problem

wayned

My electricity goes off at least once a day for about 30 seconds and my UPS has failed.  Today it went off and when I turned the computer back on  I could connect to both Chrome and Firefox but could not access any websites.  I always got the message that the security certificate for the site that I was trying to enter had expired.  I tried to troubleshoot int in Chrome  with no luck but in Firefox I found a message that the site would be activated on 1 January  2562 at 1600 and the time now was 2 January 2559 at 0052.  I went into control panel and found that the time had in fact been reset to 2559 so I reset the time to the current time and date and , guess what, everything works now!  I have never seen or heard of this problem in the past but it's a heads up!

10 minutes ago, wayned said:

so I reset the time to the current time and date and , guess what, everything works now!  I have never seen or heard of this problem in the past but it's a heads up! 

The fact as such (excessively wrong date leads to certificate warning) is indeed known.

I once experienced it with a PC which CMOS battery ran empty and 1.1.1980 or so was the date at restart. That gives "funny" effects.

I vaguely remember that on another PC the date was set forward to a value that the OS could not handle (think it was an older Windows). Also crazy effects.

My electricity goes off at least once a day for about 30 seconds and my UPS has failed.  Today it went off and when I turned the computer back on  I could connect to both Chrome and Firefox but could not access any websites.  I always got the message that the security certificate for the site that I was trying to enter had expired.  I tried to troubleshoot int in Chrome  with no luck but in Firefox I found a message that the site would be activated on 1 January  2562 at 1600 and the time now was 2 January 2559 at 0052.  I went into control panel and found that the time had in fact been reset to 2559 so I reset the time to the current time and date and , guess what, everything works now!  I have never seen or heard of this problem in the past but it's a heads up!

Your computer battery is probably flat. If it's a desktop, the little round battery used for ROM.

If its a laptop, your battery.

If you're in Bangkok and it's your laptop battery, you could find a little shop in the back of Pantip Plaza that will/or did install new batteries in the batterypack while you wait.

They just open the backpack case, solder in the new batteries and silicon the case back together.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

so maybe an upgrade?  MS stopped supporting and upgrading XP quite a few years ago, around 4 years if I recall correctly. Means you may be vulnerable to all kind s of oddities.  

Yeah, Yeah, I know, but it has nothing to do with the problem. If you live where I live in the last house on a dirt road in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields it's XP or a stone tablet!  The computer shop is 60 kilometers away and, although he will install later versions, the local preference is XP due to hardware limitations, which I don't have, but learning to navigate through a new system is not what I really want to do at my age.

Yeah, Yeah, I know, but it has nothing to do with the problem. If you live where I live in the last house on a dirt road in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields it's XP or a stone tablet!  The computer shop is 60 kilometers away and, although he will install later versions, the local preference is XP due to hardware limitations, which I don't have, but learning to navigate through a new system is not what I really want to do at my age.
Open up the case, find the little silver battery (same as in a watch but bigger), throw the battery out to the dirt road ( buy a new one first), replace it.
Lazada and Kerry express will probably get to you, amazing service.

Nice for the pool when they burn the cane.

51 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That's bizarre. Out of interest, what hardware are you using? Was the problem just on a computer and not on an ipad or other device?  

No, it's not bizarre. And it happens with any hardware.

And it "works" like this since many many years.

26 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Wet laundry om the clothes line is really the pits. 

Slowly but surely they have gone to mechanized harvesting with about 50/50 this year.  I have imported 3 JD Combines over the past 10 years and the corn harvesting is now 95% mechanized.

Found the battery and replaced it with one from a motherboard that I repaired last year, but since I know what the problem is it's not really a problem to check the date and I do intend to get new batteries for the UPS.

1 hour ago, WyrldTraveler said:

You can upgrade to Win7 free using Infinite Rearm (totally legal) PM for details and I will get back if you are interested.

Why the need for such a dodgy post? The OP hasn't suggested that he wants a flaky install of Windows 7. Even if he did want Windows 7, we would install it properly and it would still cost nothing. 

Slowly but surely they have gone to mechanized harvesting with about 50/50 this year.  I have imported 3 JD Combines over the past 10 years and the corn harvesting is now 95% mechanized.

Found the battery and replaced it with one from a motherboard that I repaired last year, but since I know what the problem is it's not really a problem to check the date and I do intend to get new batteries for the UPS.
So it wasn't the battery?

42 minutes ago, carlyai said:

So it wasn't the battery?

Who knows, I will have to wait until tomorrow morning when they switch the power!

20 hours ago, carlyai said:

Open up the case, find the little silver battery (same as in a watch but bigger), throw the battery out to the dirt road ( buy a new one first), replace it.
Lazada and Kerry express will probably get to you, amazing service.

You can buy that battery at most 7-11's

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, wayned said:

If you are having a power problem to your computer that often, you must buy a extension lead with a power surge controller built in, otherwise a sudden power cut can cause the heads on your hard drive to crash. they are not expensive, but it will be if you have to buy a new hard drive and install

Your clock battery at the motherboard might be too old – especially when using an outdated XP-system – try to replace the battery, easily available for a modest sum.

You should seriously consider to upgrade your OS to fx. Win10, as both your system is long out of security updates, but also browsers might not be updated when running an outdated OS.

If you have older 8-bit software that you still use, and not running newer systems later than Win XP, you can for free download Microsoft's "Virtual Windows XP" and install that, but only to be used for local software, not for browsing, as it's working like XP.

This is not odd as it happens when your CMOS battery backup has failed and you suffer a power outage or simply turn it off. The CMOS saves the date and time in the BIOS so if it fails the BIOS reverts to its birthday (the time it was first activated). Your web browsers then can not verify security certificates because the date and time mismatch. Get a new battery and carry on. 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, khunPer said:

Your clock battery at the motherboard might be too old – especially when using an outdated XP-system – try to replace the battery, easily available for a modest sum.

You should seriously consider to upgrade your OS to fx. Win10, as both your system is long out of security updates, but also browsers might not be updated when running an outdated OS.

If you have older 8-bit software that you still use, and not running newer systems later than Win XP, you can for free download Microsoft's "Virtual Windows XP" and install that, but only to be used for local software, not for browsing, as it's working like XP.

Personally I was quite happy with Win7 and detest Win10.

Also, outdated hardware may not even run a bloated mess like 10 is, and if it did it would be too sluggish to be useful. 

It's pretty easy to find torrent sites that have Win7. To each his own I suppose. 

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Personally I was quite happy with Win7 and detest Win10.

Also, outdated hardware may not even run a bloated mess like 10 is, and if it did it would be too sluggish to be useful. 

It's pretty easy to find torrent sites that have Win7. To each his own I suppose. 

Yes, Win7 is really great – I'm a win7 user myself – but unfortunately soon running out of lifetime, so if you don't wish to upgrade again within a short time frame, its Win10; forget Win8...????

On 4/9/2019 at 12:38 PM, wayned said:

Check at the nearest Advice shop, or order one online: https://www.amazon.com/stores/UPSBatteryCenter/node/7148373011

Archived