Radar detectors

a10ams

Just found an twenty-five year old radar detector that I'd forgotten I had. It's a Snooper SRD3000 that was top end when I bought it new in the UK in the 90's. It detects X band, K band and 'super wideband' Ka.

My question is ...... does anybody know which waveband the speed cameras work on here in Thailand?

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Laser is preferred now-a-days - unless you can move faster than the speed of light you have no chance.

Radar 'moves' at the same speed as a laser, they're both electromagnetic radiation.  In both cases, if the police officer only turns it on when he sees your vehicle, it's too late for you to do anything about it using a detector.  However, if radar is being constantly broadcast, then you can detect it before the reflection can travel back to the policeman.  (If it has a range of, say, 2km, you will detect it 2km away, but the policeman will only be able to 'see' you less than 1km away, depending on the strength of the reflection).  Laser may be jammed, but, unless you rapidly slow down and then turn off the jamming so they can get a speed reading, they will know that it is being jammed.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, Kwasaki said:

llAsk the highway police. ????

Would be amazed if they know.

The spectrum of the OP's system is quite broad. It's very unlikely that it would detect a laser though.

Remote door sensors, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi certainly. It's more about prf's than frequency. Unless you're driving an F-35 you're pretty much screwed.

Must admit speed limits here are archaic but given the abilities of indigenous folks they're much too high.

Better to find out the overspeed percentages. Keystone will know those and I'm sure Johnnie Walker would help with that.

Edited by alacrity
spell

2 hours ago, alacrity said:

Would be amazed if they know.

The spectrum of the OP's system is quite broad. It's very unlikely that it would detect a laser though.

Remote door sensors, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi certainly. It's more about prf's than frequency. Unless you're driving an F-35 you're pretty much screwed.

Must admit speed limits here are archaic but given the abilities of indigenous folks they're much too high.

Better to find out the overspeed percentages. Keystone will know those and I'm sure Johnnie Walker would help with that.

Yeah well my post was a kinda joke mosh, OP and others just keep to speed limit + 10 k and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, a10ams said:

Just found an twenty-five year old radar detector that I'd forgotten I had. It's a Snooper SRD3000 that was top end when I bought it new in the UK in the 90's. It detects X band, K band and 'super wideband' Ka.

My question is ...... does anybody know which waveband the speed cameras work on here in Thailand?

Not sure if it is coincidental where your 'nickname' is based on, but there's a road with that callname and around a city which abbreviation also is in your name.

In reply to your post:

The same bands as that is used ( on the A10 east ) with flashers, but I have noticed that those speed flashers are abandoned.

Many cameras are not in the boxes anymore, instead they are doing ( the same as on the A10 west ) two cameras on a distance from each other tracks your carplate and calculate the time between those two points.

Flashers with the camera does still exist and mostly around highway police stations, I was mugged two years ago with overspeeding 7 km (97 instead of bravely 90, gravity was the blame)

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 9:19 PM, donim said:

Not sure if it is coincidental where your 'nickname' is based on, but there's a road with that callname and around a city which abbreviation also is in your name.

In reply to your post:

The same bands as that is used ( on the A10 east ) with flashers, but I have noticed that those speed flashers are abandoned.

Many cameras are not in the boxes anymore, instead they are doing ( the same as on the A10 west ) two cameras on a distance from each other tracks your carplate and calculate the time between those two points.

Flashers with the camera does still exist and mostly around highway police stations, I was mugged two years ago with overspeeding 7 km (97 instead of bravely 90, gravity was the blame)

Rgds

correct. just got my second ticket. had 2 photos of my plates. 1; 0kpm 2. 91kpm. it was a 60 kpm zone. no idea where sometimes a curving highway has a reduction from 90 to 60. ticket dated march 23, so no idea where I was driving at that time. which is a pizzer. otherwise id be more cautious in future. 

In reply to your post:

Rgds

I thought the leeway was about 30km/h (or at least 20km/h on some highways). If the speed limit is 90, you normally don't get a fine until you do 1km/h above 120. Or on some stretches it's 110. I don't see them fining everyone going above 90 because that would mean 90% of all vehicles would be fined. Also, you're supposed to get 10% leeway in case of differences in speedometer readings etc. even in the west (except in Australia and Switzerland) is this the case.

Rgds

100% coincidental I'm afraid. ????

Not sure if anybody is still following this or not, but my old radar detector did flash and beep at known camera sites up Sakon Nakhon way last week. Maybe they still are using old technology here.

18 minutes ago, a10ams said:

Not sure if anybody is still following this or not, but my old radar detector did flash and beep at known camera sites up Sakon Nakhon way last week. Maybe they still are using old technology here.

So do you think this gave you ample time to slow down? I was telling my wife we need to get one if we are going to drive more often than fly. In another article thread regarding paying tickets or no registration, I stated I just got 2 going from CM-BKK -CM, but I sort of expect a couple more in the mail more farther down the highway from CM.