Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

What we know this season so far...

Probable top 4 sides. Looks like there are 6 sides with the talent to go top 4 this year.

West Coast - Have a few issues at MCG but enough goalscorers to be there at seasons end.

North - Last 2 seasons they would have lost the game against Freo today...At one stage Freo was in front 85 -80...North kicked away to win 132-101. They have a wealth of goal scoring options and a heap of height.

Sydney - The youth brigade has slotted nicely into the team so far. The pressure game against Adelaide in only round 4 will heap them come finals time. Heeney and Mills are sensational. Buddy Billions back to his best.

Adelaide - Looking good this year...What was Dangerfield walking away from here? Most potent goal scoring lineup in the game this season? They will be helped this year by home ground advantage with several umpiring calls seemingly swayed by the crowd and Eddie Betts

Western Bulldogs. Their pace and ball movement is going to win them many games this year. Not sure how their draw is, but guessing it is in the middle of being difficult. They place a truckload of games at Etihad and will press for Top 4. Their backline without Murphy is a concern and this weekend johannisen put himself out for maybe 10 weeks. Possible their high intensity game will lead to injuries.

Hawthorn. Still the one to beat I think. They whipped West Coast and narrowly beat The bulldogs

Fighting it out for the 8?

Geelong. They don't look top 4 at this stage. They were early season favourites for bolting up the ladder...but I can't see it yet

Gold Coast. Missing several key players through injury, but they have to beat the Brisbane's if they want to do top 8

GWS. I like GWS. Could be a top 6 IMO. Lots of run and carry...ability to score goals..better balance this year with some mature players

Just outside the 8?
Melbourne
Port
St Kilda
Collingwood
Richmond

The top 3 disappointments so far...

Richmond. Who would want to be a Richmond supporter? I know Alexrrr is keen on them but i reckon they will be lucky to make the 8... if the top12.

Collingwood. Unbeleivably pathetic this year. Seem to be putting in minimal effort.

Fremantle. In a world of trouble. I have said it on here a number of times. Freo might miss the 8..and it is looking increasingly so... They have a tough draw and they cannot score enough goals. Scores seem to be slightly up this year...and Freo are desperate for Hogan/McCarthy/anyone

post-147205-0-04406900-1460889090_thumb.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

post-186435-14608938327924_thumb.jpg

Fantasy. Ladder, and top 3 are blow ins, seems your not going anywhere fast bossjo....loooks rather sick in fact....

The premiers got there first win today there on there way, Grant is carrying us all and chooks well.....

And i say it again.....we should run 2 teams each so we dont have these blow ins.....

Be good if some of the tipsters got involved....post-186435-14608938327924_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

AlexRRR said; "Fantasy. Ladder, and top 3 are blow ins, seems your not going anywhere fast bossjo....loooks rather sick in fact...."

My team was a slik-pik team.

I originally signed up on a busy morning to make up the numbers as FJ requested.

But, now I am enjoying it and am working on improving my team.

I think it is 7 of us expert tipsters, and 7 of the “blow-ins”. It’s up to us to stand firm and wear down the “blow-ins.”

My team has a lot of Carlton players and this round I only had 4 mid fielders due to DNP.

I don’t think I did too bad. I’m taking my coaching cue from Woosha. Work with what you have and plot a steady path forward.

I am in the same position as you were last week,,, the only way is up. thumbsup.gif

BTW.. I’m putting in a request for the ANZAC day match from my fallen and passed away AIF relatives for their assistance for Essendon to beat the Pies.

Going to visit the cemetery and say hello to all my Uncles, my Dad and Granddad. They are all in the same one except the ones that never came back.

Already placed my tips as I will be out of town this week.

Tipped Melbourne to demonize the Tigers too,,, someone's got to have the faith..biggrin.png

• Like 2

AlexRRR said; "Fantasy. Ladder, and top 3 are blow ins, seems your not going anywhere fast bossjo....loooks rather sick in fact...."

I originally signed up on a busy morning to make up the numbers as FJ requested.

I think it is 7 of us expert tipsters, and 7 of the “blow-ins”. It’s up to us to stand firm and wear down the “blow-ins.”

My team has a lot of Carlton players and this round I only had 4 mid fielders due to DNP.

I don’t think I did too bad. I’m taking my coaching cue from Woosha. Work with what you have and plot a steady path forward.

I am in the same position as you were last week,,, the only way is up. thumbsup.gif

BTW.. I’m putting in a request for the ANZAC day match from my fallen and passed away AIF relatives for their assistance for Essendon to beat the Pies.

Going to visit the cemetery and say hello to all my Uncles, my Dad and Granddad. They are all in the same one except the ones that never came back.

Tipped Melbourne to demonize the Tigers too,,, someone's got to have the faith..biggrin.png

Yes well like last year i started poorly and gradually grew the team that won the cup, will take half the season to get really competitive and your always jigging....only have to make the 8....only have to be in the finals....tip for ya....you will need to be scoring in the high 1800's to be competitive in the finals young fella..

• Like 1

I think it is 7 of us expert tipsters, and 7 of the blow-ins. Its up to us to stand firm and wear down the blow-ins.

I dont think I did too bad. Im taking my coaching cue from Woosha. Work with what you have and plot a steady path forward.

BTW.. Im putting in a request for the ANZAC day match from my fallen and passed away AIF relatives for their assistance for Essendon to beat the Pies.

Yes well like last year i started poorly and gradually grew the team that won the cup, will take half the season to get really competitive and your always jigging....only have to make the 8....only have to be in the finals....tip for ya....you will need to be scoring in the high 1800's to be competitive in the finals young fella..

The ones added by the afl are all current players. I have already defeated trent cotchin & Kieran Jack Edited by Thechook
  • Like 2

A team mates perspective on the often maligned Zac Dawson

Zac Dawson: The good, the bad and the ugly

Zac Dawson had arrived at St Kilda ahead of the 2009 season, and was looking for somewhere new to live. He had an idea to share quarters with resident rascal Steven Baker, who takes up the story.

1460796696065.jpg Character: Zac Dawson riles James Podsiadly, in 2013. Photo: Pat Scala

"We went to 'the cockroach' [then Saints coach Ross Lyon] and asked if it was a good idea if Zac moved in with me," Baker recalls.

"It was a definite 'no!'

"We didn't listen. Being rebellious we did it anyway. Myself, him and Jack Steven were living together for a while. That was a bit of a rough household! I won't talk about the shenanigans we got up to, but if we did it these days it'd be frowned upon."

Baker hadn't picked Dawson for the loveable larrikin type. The antagonistic Saints stopper had seen Dawson from afar during his first incarnation as stripling Hawthorn defender - infamously ragdolled by Anthony Rocca and Nathan Thompson in 2006.

"I remember when I first met him thinking he was a sort of tall, shy nerd.

"The first time we had a beer together and we let the hair down I knew there was a bit of a wild side to him, and we had a great relationship, and we turned into best buddies pretty quickly."

Dawson, 30, has been many things, but perhaps above all he is a survivor. On Sunday he will take to Etihad Stadium for his 150th game. It is a milestone reached in spite of many hurdles: those early setbacks against the monster forwards, being dumped by Hawthorn, off-field dramas at the Saints, a tendency to get himself suspended, a calamitous 2013 grand final, and last year: groin and thumb injuries.

Then there have been the legions of detractors, partly a vestige of the Rocca and Thompson towellings, partly because of Dawson's longstanding kicking issues, and partly due to a perception that Dawson may not have made it if not for Lyon, whom Dawson followed across the Nullarbor at the end of 2011.

Kepler Bradley played alongside Dawson at Lyon's Fremantle. Now coaching Claremont's reserves, the former Essendon and Docker utility says accusations of favouritism from Lyon towards Dawson are nonsense. "Zac gets treated just as any other player would. In terms of special treatment or anything like that, there's none of that," Bradley said.

Baker however acknowledges Lyon's impact on Dawson's career. "Ross really believed in Zac. And I think with good reason. He'd always give 100 per cent no matter what. I think that's the thing Rossy loves in his players."

He's generally absolutely shattered when he gets beaten.
Steven Baker

While the bulk of Dawson's career has been played under Lyon, it was at the Peter Schwab-led Hawks that the beanpole from Doutta Stars started his AFL journey. By his own admission, Schwab didn't get to know Dawson well, as Hawthorn's disastrous 2004 campaign precipitated the coach's early demise. Now Brisbane Lions recruiting chief, Schwab has looked on from afar, and admired the footballer Dawson has become. "When he first came down I thought, 'Oh he's going to take some time. He just hasn't got the physical body for it,"' Schwab remembered.

"He was a pretty quiet kid. I knew he was going to have to ply his trade a little bit in the VFL at that stage, even at times the development league."

It was going to be a slow-burn, but the Hawks had found a player, even though his best football would not ultimately be played in the brown and gold. "He's had a really good career. He's much-maligned. A lot of people knock him. But they're really hard to find, key defenders. We took the punt on him as a key position player, and that's what he's turned out to be."

Schwab noted the scrutiny that comes with being the last line in defence. "It's probably the hardest job in footy. Because it's very hard to be an offensive player in that role. And you can get taken to the cleaners every now and then. And people remember: 'you're the bloke who played on someone who kicked six, or you're the bloke who played on someone who kicked seven.'"

For all the mischief off the field - and Baker says there was plenty - Dawson approaches his football seriously. His failures are taken to heart, according to Baker, with whom Dawson shared a back 50 in three grand finals. "He is one of those players that does get massively down on himself," Baker said.

"He's generally absolutely shattered when he gets beaten. I think when he does get beaten - he'll go out and work on something that he does do wrong.

"He does come across as a bit of a 'blase doesn't care' kind of guy, but he gives depth of effort each game."

His limitations are clear, but Dawson has done his job, and Baker is loath to underplay his influence in the St Kilda teams that came so close to lifting the premiership cup. "Zac was one of the guys that you'd know would have your back 100 per cent. He was a bit of a quiet lad, but he was the one that controlled the back six."

Bradley played on Dawson both in the VFL and AFL. He described the experience of being stood by the man who eventually became a teammate, and a close friend. "He's got this uncanny ability to blanket an opponent.

"Not only that he's got this ability to bump blokes and put in a few knees and elbows, and he's managed to hurt a few guys along his journey. He's really hard at the footy.

"You knew you were in for a big day when you got him, because he just sticks to his role. Every time I lined up on him I knew I was in for a big day."

And then there's Dawson the bloke - the guy who featured clothed in the widely-circulated nude photo of Nick Riewoldt, the guy who was suspended for mixing sleeping tablets and alcohol on a pre-season camp in New Zealand, and the guy who took to Twitter to celebrate Channel Ten losing the AFL rights on the basis that Robert Walls would be out of a job.

He has avoided controversy at the Dockers, but Bradley says Dawson retains a laconic presence away from the game. "I'd heard (before Dawson came to Fremantle) through the grapevine that he's a great character and a great fella, and that he doesn't mind having a laugh and a giggle. When he did rock up to Freo he was exactly that. When it was time to play footy he'd knuckle down and train as hard as he can, and play as hard as he can in games, and then as soon as it's time to relax and enjoy yourself and have a joke and a giggle, he really cares about his mates.

"You ask anyone at Freo, and he'd be in their top five blokes around the club, because he just puts a smile on everyone's dial and he's a pleasure to be around."

Baker remains a mate of Dawson's too, and says he hasn't changed too much since their days living together. "I was over in Freo at the end of last year. We caught up for coffee, which turned into a few beers. We ended up having an all-nighter and wound back the clock. So Zac, I'm sorry if that gets you in trouble but bad luck, I'm retired now so I don't give a shit!"

• Like 2

A team mates perspective on the often maligned Zac Dawson

Zac Dawson: The good, the bad and the ugly

"You ask anyone at Freo, and he'd be in their top five blokes around the club, because he just puts a smile on everyone's dial and he's a pleasure to be around."

Baker remains a mate of Dawson's too, and says he hasn't changed too much since their days living together. "I was over in Freo at the end of last year. We caught up for coffee, which turned into a few beers. We ended up having an all-nighter and wound back the clock. So Zac, I'm sorry if that gets you in trouble but bad luck, I'm retired now so I don't give a shit!"

They're gonna love having him back at St Kilda

• Like 1

The results are in for week 4!!

OldCroc is the winner this week with 8/9! Great effort in picking Brisbane.

Will27 is now the solitary overall leader on 27, after Chooka cracked under the pressure. Sadly for KhunWill, no early season leaders have won the tipping comp.

In other news...Bookman is in front of Alexrrr

Nice work Old Croc.

Us Eagles supporters know our footy.

BookMan, there's only 1 guy on here who can go back to backwhistling.gif

Bit embarrassing not picking my own side even though they were favorites.

Nice to go up 44,000 places in the overall tipping. Not so nice still being 36,000 from the lead.

• Like 2

Probable top 4 sides. Looks like there are 6 sides with the talent to go top 4 this year.

West Coast - Have a few issues at MCG but enough goalscorers to be there at seasons end.

North - Last 2 seasons they would have lost the game against Freo today...At one stage Freo was in front 85 -80...North kicked away to win 132-101. They have a wealth of goal scoring options and a heap of height.

Sydney - The youth brigade has slotted nicely into the team so far. The pressure game against Adelaide in only round 4 will heap them come finals time. Heeney and Mills are sensational. Buddy Billions back to his best.

Adelaide - Looking good this year...What was Dangerfield walking away from here? Most potent goal scoring lineup in the game this season? They will be helped this year by home ground advantage with several umpiring calls seemingly swayed by the crowd and Eddie Betts

Western Bulldogs. Their pace and ball movement is going to win them many games this year. Not sure how their draw is, but guessing it is in the middle of being difficult. They place a truckload of games at Etihad and will press for Top 4. Their backline without Murphy is a concern and this weekend johannisen put himself out for maybe 10 weeks. Possible their high intensity game will lead to injuries.

Hawthorn. Still the one to beat I think. They whipped West Coast and narrowly beat The bulldogs

Geelong. They don't look top 4 at this stage. They were early season favourites for bolting up the ladder...but I can't see it yet

Gold Coast. Missing several key players through injury, but they have to beat the Brisbane's if they want to do top 8

GWS. I like GWS. Could be a top 6 IMO. Lots of run and carry...ability to score goals..better balance this year with some mature players

Just outside the 8?

Melbourne

Port

St Kilda

Collingwood

Richmond

Richmond. Who would want to be a Richmond supporter? I know Alexrrr is keen on them but i reckon they will be lucky to make the 8... if the top12.

Collingwood. Unbeleivably pathetic this year. Seem to be putting in minimal effort.

Fremantle. In a world of trouble. I have said it on here a number of times. Freo might miss the 8..and it is looking increasingly so... They have a tough draw and they cannot score enough goals. Scores seem to be slightly up this year...and Freo are desperate for Hogan/McCarthy/anyone

attachicon.gifAFL2.png

Nice one.

Does anyone else thing the top 8 will change from here?

I think GWS will come in for GC or Geelong.

From what I've seen so far, Hawks, Syd and Ade will be top 4.

The WB, North and WC will challenge for the remaining spot.

Tom Boyd could miss some games for the Bulldogs as well which puts a lot of pressure on Springer.

For me, a lot will depend on how they play away from Etihad.

Still not sold on North making top 4. Maybe it's just because they have Boomer Harvey and Lindsay Thomas in their sidetongue.png

Jury out for me on WC at the minute. Will be like a lot of interstate clubs. Should win the majority at home and will need to jag

some away wins. Have Syd, Geelong and Port away in the next 4. Will need to win at least one of them. Sydney away next week

will be a litmus test.

Freo have surprised me as I thought they'd slip, but not this far.

I didn't rate Richmond from day 1 and thought/posted they would miss the 8.

Collingwood are a disappointment as well. Treloar was a good pick up

but they're shaky upfront and down back.

Some ball tearing games next week.

Hawks/Ade on Friday night should be a belter.

Syd/WC

GC/North (crucial for GC)

Port v Geelong at Port

St's /GWS

Richmond /Melbourne &

Freo/Carltontongue.png

I think it will change a lot......The Cats and Tigers will both get there mojo working soon, you forget that the Cats recruited on paper the best of anyone and history shows the Tigers are notoriously bad starters once they get moving there hard to stop....i did pick that last season .....

Season so far shows anything can happen maybe except from Brisbane, Freo, Carlton and Essendon, though i think Freo will at some point kick into gear they really arrant that bad, for my mind Buckley hasn't been able to fix anything and would be walking a razors edge there either got to sack half the team or move him on the Woods will hover low in the ladder this season, Hawks well....nothing convincing from them yet and if i recall they were same early last season, i still think they will struggle to and not get above 5th by years end.

GWS I'm thinking could be serious improvers, Port are the same as last year, GC should threaten, Bulldogs should do enough but dout they will improve on last year, Saints and Dees will shake the tree voilenty but as all young sides do they will win a few they shouldn't then loose to a few they shouldn't.....

• Like 2

Mr WILL....North are a good team...there finally matured no BIG names but there solid as a rock, its been coming for a few seasons and there finally arrived top 3 easy in my mind, tested last 2 weeks they have stood ups and been counted...

Tigers...you just dont like them, Hardwick is a very good coach, again early injuries to key players, Dee's will do em next week then all hell will break loose...

WC and Sydney on solid ground, they won't be slipping.

Im still to be convinced on the Dogs but I'm jumping on board now..im tipping them, still waiting for the second year jitters to set in...might not doesn't matter there good players falling weekly might not have a team by seasons end.

Disappointed with GWS as i rate Rod Eade highly, think we will have to wait for them to arrive next season.

• Like 2

Just outside the 8?

Melbourne

Port

St Kilda

Collingwood

Richmond

attachicon.gifAFL2.png

Nice one.

Does anyone else thing the top 8 will change from here?

I think GWS will come in for GC or Geelong.

From what I've seen so far, Hawks, Syd and Ade will be top 4.

The WB, North and WC will challenge for the remaining spot.

Tom Boyd could miss some games for the Bulldogs as well which puts a lot of pressure on Springer.

For me, a lot will depend on how they play away from Etihad.

Still not sold on North making top 4. Maybe it's just because they have Boomer Harvey and Lindsay Thomas in their sidetongue.png

Jury out for me on WC at the minute. Will be like a lot of interstate clubs. Should win the majority at home and will need to jag

some away wins. Have Syd, Geelong and Port away in the next 4. Will need to win at least one of them. Sydney away next week

will be a litmus test.

Freo have surprised me as I thought they'd slip, but not this far.

I didn't rate Richmond from day 1 and thought/posted they would miss the 8.

Collingwood are a disappointment as well. Treloar was a good pick up

but they're shaky upfront and down back.

Some ball tearing games next week.

Hawks/Ade on Friday night should be a belter.

Syd/WC

GC/North (crucial for GC)

Port v Geelong at Port

St's /GWS

Richmond /Melbourne &

Freo/Carltontongue.png

Going to be extremely hard tipping this week. Every single one of those games could go either way. To tip 5 or 6 this week will be outstanding
  • Like 1

An interesting point of view.

I can see some merit in it.

AFL 2016: Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch wants 'eye for an eye' approach to tribunal

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has called for a review of football's judicial system following Steven May's serious hit on Lions ruckman Stefan Martin, the second brutal head clash suffered by the club this season.

Leppitsch believes the AFL should look at the introduction of an "eye for an eye" approach when handing out lengthy suspensions and ensure the offending player miss any return clash against the injured player's club.

Under the Leppitsch proposal, May, if suspended, should serve one of his games when the Gold Coast next take on the Lions.

"I believe it's what should happen," said the Brisbane coach, who added that Martin was no certainty to line up against the Western Bulldogs in round five. "Otherwise the team who's lost a player gets no benefit.

"If you know you're playing them again that year then one of the weeks should be against the club concerned.

"It happened earlier this year with Jeremy Cameron and Rhys Mathieson.

"Cameron was suspended for four weeks but we get no advantage out of that and Rhys has effectively missed six weeks.

"It's definitely something that has merit because you also lose the advantage on the day. You might lose the game due to the loss of a player so it costs the team a win and that team gets no benefit from the suspension.

"Obviously if you're not playing that team again in the same year then the suspension is just served as normal."

Mathieson is expected to return this weekend, lining up in Brisbane's NEAFL side after undergoing surgery in March for a fractured cheekbone. Under the Leppitsch solution, one game of Cameron's suspension should be served in round 17 when GWS plays Brisbane at the Gabba.

Similarly, should May miss the predicted five or six games for his high hit on Martin, who missed the rest of what resulted in a narrow Lions victory, one of those missed weeks should come in round 16 in the next Q-Clash at Metricon Stadium.

While Leppitsch and his club are still seething at the May incident, which followed last season's high bump on captain Tom Rockliff, for which the defender was suspended for three games, the coach insisted his views were not new.

May has apologised publicly and privately to Martin and plans to attend Tuesday's tribunal hearing.

Although ruckman Martin passed a concussion test on Monday the coach said the club would not make a selection call until assessing him at training. Leppitsch pointed out that the after-effects of serious head clashes suffered by the recently retired Justin Clarke had played out dramatically at training. "We found both Clarkey and 'Goose' (Matt McGuire) struggled to run," said the coach.

Leppitsch added that he did not support calls for the send-off rule.

"That just places too much pressure on the umpires," he said.

"I'm not saying change it now or act on the spur of the moment. I just believe it's a reform that has some merit and I've felt that for some time. It's something that deserves discussion at the end of the season."

• Like 2

I bet Hardwick spat out his coco pops when he read thistongue.png

Also, when will players partners realise that when they come out publicly and defend

their fella, it generally makes the situation worse. Imagine the stick Cotchin will get this week from the Melbourne players.

Trent Cotchin's wife defends Richmond skipper as Alex Rance labels slumping Tigers 'too coachable'

As the fallout of a terrible start to the season grows, Richmond leader Alex Rance has declared the Tigers are "too coachable" and need "smarter players", while the wife of Trent Cotchin has rushed to the skipper's defence.

Having limped over the line against Carlton in round one, the Tigers have lost their past three games, the latest a 68-point thumping from the West Coast Eagles at Domain Stadium on Friday night.

The Tigers now face a challenging month against Melbourne, Port Adelaide (MCG), Hawthorn, Sydney (MCG) and Fremantle (Domain Stadium), and desperately need to address what coach Damien Hardwick said was a "broken" process.

Ruckman Ivan Maric will push for his first senior match of the season this week but Brett Deledio still has work to do in recovering from a quad injury. Deledio, who had urged the team's senior players to embrace the added responsibility, was due to step up his training on Saturday where he hoped to not endure pain while kicking.

Rance, who was one of the Tigers' best players against the Eagles by keeping Josh Kennedy to two goals, said on Saturday the Tigers had over-used the handball and the defeat had been "extremely frustrating".

The Tigers had 33 more handballs than their opponents, and particularly struggled to clear the ball from defensive 50.

"I think we are a bit too coachable. Sometimes we get in our heads, with the new zones that are coming in on those narrower grounds, you feel like you have to handball through them," Rance said.

"It might have been an off-the-cuff comment which happens during the week and then it gets stuck in your head a little bit rather than just playing the game. That's what we need to develop as a team – smarter players who can really assess what's required at different stages of the game.

"At the moment, we are just not doing that as well."

Former Richmond assistant coach David King said the Tigers were guilty of a "dysfunctional defensive game", had made "laughable errors late" and "they froze down back – they couldn't execute out of the backline."

Hardwick admitted after the win over the Blues the Tigers were still trying to find the right man to fill the rebounding role from half-back – an issue which continues to haunt them. Chris Yarran had been pencilled in for that but he remains on the injury list for several weeks.

What has also emerged as a concern is the Tigers' first-half efforts. They coughed up 72 points against the Crows last week, and 73 against the Eagles.

The Tigers had only eight inside 50s to half-time – their worst ever and the second lowest since Champion Data began recording the statistic in 2000. They would finish with only 27.

Amid the drama and what shapes as another tumultuous week at Punt Rd, Cotchin's wife, Brooke, defended the star midfielder on her Instagram account after the loss.

"Every week you go out and give your all. To have to listen to the constant criticism you have had to put up with especially of late has been incredibly hard," she said.

"Those closest to you know just how dedicated you are to your football club and teammates on and off the field. As a wise man once told me 'People's opinions are none of our business'. We love you and are proud of you".

• Like 1

'Clarko to coach ST Kilda?'

The fact that Alastair Clarkson remains the only coach coming out of contract at the end of this season is surely becoming more fascinating by the day.

Unless you count Paul Roos, who will voluntarily hand over the Melbourne reins to Simon Goodwin at the season's end, the Hawks' four-time premiership mentor and the most-sought-after coach in the AFL on paper at any rate remains poachable.

Which is even more intriguing as the spotlight intensifies on Nathan Buckley and Damien Hardwick and the so-called folly of Collingwood and Richmond to extend their contracts at a time neither were in danger of being poached.

While Hawthorn insists that Clarkson's situation is not worthy of speculation, the coach and the club started talking about a contract extension almost a year ago. Talks stalled at various stages and, while there was no serious discord, there was some uneasiness and negotiations were placed on hold as the 2015 finals series approached.

Last December the club confirmed that it was close to reaching an agreement and a contract potentially more generous given it was now dealing with a remarkable fourth flag. This would tie the by-then-immortal coach to the club until the end of 2019 and potentially 2020. By February the deal had still not been completely ticked off and still the Hawks insisted a minimum four-year contract was as good as signed.

More than two months later the official version from Hawthorn is that nothing with the coach has changed and that an announcement will be made when both parties are ready.

Clarkson has urged and received loyalty and sacrifice from his players and his coaches and football staff as the mighty Hawthorn has continued its historic reign over the 18-team competition in the face of equalisation and a football department soft cap. He was angry at the Fairfax Media story in February documenting some details of the negotiations. Although he never actually specified any inaccuracies to this journalist, he told colleagues he was disappointed at the financial details which he said were exaggerated.

He seemed more sensitive to those reportedly generous numbers given the call for sacrifice.

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• Like 1

Also, when will players partners realise that when they come out publicly and defend

their fella, it generally makes the situation worse. Imagine the stick Cotchin will get this week from the Melbourne players.

Trent Cotchin's wife defends Richmond skipper as Alex Rance labels slumping Tigers 'too coachable'

As the fallout of a terrible start to the season grows, Richmond leader Alex Rance has declared the Tigers are "too coachable" and need "smarter players", while the wife of Trent Cotchin has rushed to the skipper's defence.

Having limped over the line against Carlton in round one, the Tigers have lost their past three games, the latest a 68-point thumping from the West Coast Eagles at Domain Stadium on Friday night.

The Tigers now face a challenging month against Melbourne, Port Adelaide (MCG), Hawthorn, Sydney (MCG) and Fremantle (Domain Stadium), and desperately need to address what coach Damien Hardwick said was a "broken" process.

Ruckman Ivan Maric will push for his first senior match of the season this week but Brett Deledio still has work to do in recovering from a quad injury. Deledio, who had urged the team's senior players to embrace the added responsibility, was due to step up his training on Saturday where he hoped to not endure pain while kicking.

Rance, who was one of the Tigers' best players against the Eagles by keeping Josh Kennedy to two goals, said on Saturday the Tigers had over-used the handball and the defeat had been "extremely frustrating".

The Tigers had 33 more handballs than their opponents, and particularly struggled to clear the ball from defensive 50.

"I think we are a bit too coachable. Sometimes we get in our heads, with the new zones that are coming in on those narrower grounds, you feel like you have to handball through them," Rance said.

"It might have been an off-the-cuff comment which happens during the week and then it gets stuck in your head a little bit rather than just playing the game. That's what we need to develop as a team – smarter players who can really assess what's required at different stages of the game.

"At the moment, we are just not doing that as well."

Former Richmond assistant coach David King said the Tigers were guilty of a "dysfunctional defensive game", had made "laughable errors late" and "they froze down back – they couldn't execute out of the backline."

Hardwick admitted after the win over the Blues the Tigers were still trying to find the right man to fill the rebounding role from half-back – an issue which continues to haunt them. Chris Yarran had been pencilled in for that but he remains on the injury list for several weeks.

What has also emerged as a concern is the Tigers' first-half efforts. They coughed up 72 points against the Crows last week, and 73 against the Eagles.

The Tigers had only eight inside 50s to half-time – their worst ever and the second lowest since Champion Data began recording the statistic in 2000. They would finish with only 27.

Amid the drama and what shapes as another tumultuous week at Punt Rd, Cotchin's wife, Brooke, defended the star midfielder on her Instagram account after the loss.

"Every week you go out and give your all. To have to listen to the constant criticism you have had to put up with especially of late has been incredibly hard," she said.

"Those closest to you know just how dedicated you are to your football club and teammates on and off the field. As a wise man once told me 'People's opinions are none of our business'. We love you and are proud of you".

Have you seen Mrs Cotchin? Don't think Trent will be caring what anyone has to say ;)

Have you seen Mrs Cotchin? Don't think Trent will be caring what anyone has to say wink.png

GS, our roving red carpet reporter!

Chimpy dated her for a week before she got married. Great ball control he says.

I did hear that Cotch got her on the rebound.

• Like 1

Have you seen Mrs Cotchin? Don't think Trent will be caring what anyone has to say wink.png

GS, our roving red carpet reporter!

Chimpy dated her for a week before she got married. Great ball control he says.

I did hear that Cotch got her on the rebound.

And went coast to coast it seems...

• Like 2

Some interesting developments being announced today by old mate Fitzpatrick....

No more Grand Final replay in the event of a tie, there'll be overtime split into 2 halves (5 minutes each half), if scores are level at the end of OT, they'll play on until somebody scores and the siren will not sound until such time as a team scores..

Which begs the question, how will the players know that the 2nd half of OT has finished if there's no siren to make it known?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-19/no-more-grand-final-replays

• Like 2

No more Grand Final replay in the event of a tie, there'll be overtime split into 2 halves (5 minutes each half), if scores are level at the end of OT, they'll play on until somebody scores and the siren will not sound until such time as a team scores..

Which begs the question, how will the players know that the 2nd half of OT has finished if there's no siren to make it known?

Yep only 50 years behind the other codes we think we're better than......

Soccer has had extra time with goal shoot out in all finals since forever and the NFL have sudden death in all games...no draws ever...

And mind you it's well thought out...they still haven't decided if after extra time if the teams are still level will get some sort of notification while there playing on....yep we so professional me thinks....how much $ these guys on?

Edited by AlexRRR

Soccer has had extra time with goal shoot out in all finals since forever and the NFL have sudden death in all games...no draws ever...

And mind you it's well thought out...they still haven't decided if after extra time if the teams are still level will get some sort of notification while there playing on....yep we so professional me thinks....how much $ these guys on?

It seems fairly simple

If the siren sounds in the second period, u have a winner...

How much thought is needed about that?

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

It seems fairly simple

If the siren sounds in the second period, u have a winner...

How much thought is needed about that?

Yep...how much thought????