Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Commiserations to the Sydney boys:sad:

Always gut wrenching when you lose the big one. After last year, I feel your pain.

At one stage the free kick count was 17 - 4 I think.

Doesn't help in a close one.

Don't worry about the snipers who come on and seem to get delight from others misfortune.

That's they only way some of them can get any enjoyment out of footy as their teams are crap.

There were 16 other sides who would've loved to of taken your place.

A stellar year with so many youngsters.

The Western Bulldogs finals series must be the greatest of all time.

Underdogs in all 4 games.

Just a huge effort by the doggies.

We can see why your the respected elder statesman of this thread mr WILL...

Swans...ive always thought there best of the rest, Longmire ...what a hopeless full forward he was.....but hey the great Norm Smith was a full forward too....im sure we will see more of him...and wasn't he cool in the coaches box?

Luke...wasnt he short when standing with Richardson? was a trier in his days at least at the Dee's, he was so taken up in the moment not much sense was coming out of his mouth at that point.....

In the end it goes to Gordon....he put together the people who would win it...you have to be ruthless with some luck to get a head...

In the end and i dont want to put the Swans guys down here....the Scrays had it in the Bag early on was obvious to me they never looked like loosing today, when you look back and i saw every game they played in the finals they were driven, never seen a side so focused for 4 quarters in all there finals games..and to add....million dollar boy stood up today he made a difference in the end...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joboss said:

What a great football season.  !! 

Enhanced by all the comments, opinions, photos and advice on here.

Wonder who is going to rise to the top in 2017,,

The Blues, the Dees, GWS,,??

My goal for 2017 is to score 2400+ in a fantasy round.

2400????? my my your aiming high.....

Who's going up and who's going down? 

The only prediction i will make is...Dees to win 14 this coming season which should put us in the final 8, might even win an elimination final...

Im expecting to see Drew in LA enjoying his recruitment sign on fee from WCE at Warner Bro studios....they have a lot of money over there in the west....

• Like 2

Western Bulldogs beat Sydney to win AFL Grand Final 

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The Western Bulldogs produced an emphatic final quarter to beat Sydney 13.11 (89) to 10.7 (67) in the grand final of the Australian Football League Saturday, to claim its first premiership since 1954.

The Melbourne-based Bulldogs trailed 7.3 (45) to 7.1 (43) at halftime but its renown midfield aggression wrestled back the advantage and gave the Bulldogs a 9.7 (61) to 8.5 (53) lead at three quarter time. The Bulldogs dominated the final term, outscoring Sydney 28-12, to break the AFL's longest premiership drought.

The Bulldogs had to come from seventh place at the end of the regular season to reach the grand final for the first time since 1961 and started heavy underdogs against the top-ranked Swans who were bidding for the second title in five years.

Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen won the Norm Smith medal as the best player on the field, typifying the tenacity of a team which was given little chance of winning the title when it started so far back at the outset of the playoffs.

The 23-year-old rookie had a team-high 33 possessions and a game-high nine inside 50s, leading his team's revival in the second-half just as Sydney seemed to be taking control.

"It's been an amazing ride and I just love being a part of it," Johannisen said. "To all the supporters, it's been a long time coming. We did it."

Tom Boyd, who finished second in medal voting, was also outstanding for the Bulldogs, booting three goals and winning six contested marks. Josh Kennedy came third with a game-high 34 possessions and three goals.

The match was played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in front of a crowd of 99,981.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge handed his premiership winner's medal to team captain Robert Murphy who missed the grand final with an injury. Murphy was also allowed to lift the trophy aloft with stand-in captain Easton Wood.

The 34-year-old Murphy has played for the Bulldogs since 2000 but was forced to miss the grand final with a knee injury.

"He's the heartbeat of our club. He's our leader," defender Matthew Boyd said.

The Bulldogs, formerly Footscray, led 2.0 (12) to 1.2 (8) at the end of the first quarter but fell behind by two points at halftime. They began their surge in the third quarter and outscored the Swans 3.4 in the last term.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-02

3 hours ago, tifino said:

c'aaarn! the Bombers :ermm: 

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

Fierce game and the doggies probably got a marginal advantage from the umps, but they finished stronger and Sydney wilted.

Stick around lads...be good to have a couple more supporters here going into next year...

We have a Thaivisa member tipping comp with about 15 participants

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

My thoughts on the big game.

A couple of mates came up from Perth so I had people with whom to share thoughts and observations. All were relatively unbiased. One favoured the Dogs so it was a balanced forum.

Kudos to the scraggers, they played like their lives were in danger. They tackled fiercely and continually for four quarters. Several of the Sydney millionaires thought they had time to take an extra step or that they could burst through a smaller player, they were caught every time.  Also the Dogs seemed to be equipped with radar when the ball fell into their hands 40 odd metres out from goal. They virtually never missed those pack shots. Hard to play against that.

Still, Sydney seemed to have more , classier players and I always thought they could kick 3 or 4 in a hurry to clear away and close it down as they can do.

The reason Sydney didn't get a chance to break clear was the hometown umpires. They gave everything one way, even the kicks that I thought should have been Sydney's.  (I thought the guy who has his legs swept away by a diving player gets the kick these days?  They must have changed that rule, because  Footscray got the kick each time. Once a Sydney player looked askance at the ump and gave away 50 metres and a goal!). Like Will I was astounded when I saw the frees were 17-4. I knew it was one sided, but the margin surprised. The mate who initially favoured the dogs was firmly on Sydney by then because of the umpiring. 

The goals Footscray got from the maggots kept it close, and  with a close game they always looked like winning.  I remarked before the game started that Sydney needed a fast start and to get a few goals clear. From half time I fully expected the Dogs to win. The last quarter was predictable early. The little buggers were still throwing themselves into it right until the final siren.

I think the umps robbed both sides. Footscray may have won without the cheating, but they'll never know for sure.

Maybe the dogs would have won without the Umps support? Hard to say...had decisions gone as expected from other games Sydney could have been 4 goals up at three quarter time.

I accepted the 2014 Prelim loss to Fremantle when we got mugged in that game...
2014 GF...again outplayed by the Hawks....they out toughed us.  Accepted that and moved on...
Both of those won by better teams on the day...no umpiring help.

This result? U accept it, but it certainly leaves an unpleasant feeling about the game day umpiring

• Like 1

Great game all round, when Footscray weren't blown away in the first 10 minutes they were in with a chance.  Umpires may have favoured them in  the last quarter but the Dogs were relentless in attacking the ball so they were always going to get a few frees.   

It will be interesting to see how they front up next year.

54 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I did get to see it live on TV in a pub in Chiang Mai. It was at the Down Under Pub and it had a great atmosphere. I would say it was about 95% Dogs and 5% Swans. I was with an American friend who had not seen many AFL games. He loved it. A young 18 Aussie girl also joined our table. She was going for the Dogs.

Congratulations to the Western Bulldogs for being 2016 premiers. In years to come they will be remembered as winning their first flag since 1954. The umpires will be long forgotten.

We can only hope The Swans can go 1 better in 2017

Nice work Rip.

Full of class as usual.

Bring on trade week.

• Like 1

You make the play the results go your way, baa to the excuses of one sided umpiring i watch that game too the Dogs were hard at it all day.

I am ever so grateful that that the Dogs have now got there second flag its finally a monkey off the Demons back, that loss was the beginning of the Dees 7 GF appearances in a row it also was wearing thin every so often the Dogs would celebrate there only ever win and it was against us, to often in the years i was a member was i being reminded when the Scrays would hold a reunion....

I do pity  Collingwood supporter's when it comes to flag reunions one time i counted they had played in over 30 GF's with a less than 50% winning margin there going to get reminded a lot....even the Dee's beat them, 5 or 6 times in the big one..

The Dees were the side to beat in the 40s and 50s.

Not many teams around that can say this these days.

After the 1954 Grand Final loss to Footscray, no team was able to score 100 points against the club until Collingwood in round 5 1963

wiki

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

You make the play the results go your way, baa to the excuses of one sided umpiring i watch that game too the Dogs were hard at it all day.

I am ever so grateful that that the Dogs have now got there second flag its finally a monkey off the Demons back, that loss was the beginning of the Dees 7 GF appearances in a row it also was wearing thin every so often the Dogs would celebrate there only ever win and it was against us, to often in the years i was a member was i being reminded when the Scrays would hold a reunion....

I do pity  Collingwood supporter's when it comes to flag reunions one time i counted they had played in over 30 GF's with a less than 50% winning margin there going to get reminded a lot....even the Dee's beat them, 5 or 6 times in the big one..

The dogs were harder at it for a lot of the time...but it was anyone's game until late in the last Q...

Sorry you didn't notice the umpiring bias...Seems many did though, which is why it is being talked about so much. 

23 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Sheeet, I think the love for Bob Murphy has gotten way out of control.

TBH though, I reckon Murphy and Beveridge would've probably cringed when they heard about this.

Gordon should pull his head in methinks.

He has a go at the departing coach Brendan McCartney, has a swipe at Buddy and now this.

You've won the GF.

Maybe just show a bit of class and shut the <deleted> up for a while.

Awarding Beveridge another medal is 'the decent thing to do

President Peter Gordon told 3AW the club would write to the AFL on Monday to consider their request.

"I don't know how the rules of the AFL work in this regard … [but] a deserving and decent thing to do would be to strike another medal and give it to 'Bevo'," Gordon said.

"That would be, I think, the decent thing to do and I think the AFL are composed of decent people."

Never mind pulling it in, he needs to pull it out... of his arse... What a <deleted>... Not begrudging what the Dogs did this year but give me a <deleted> break Peter Gordon. You didn't see Andrew Ireland or Richard Colless crying for Benny McGlynn to be given a premiership medal in '12. 

There'll be a <deleted> uproar if this motion is carried.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Never mind pulling it in, he needs to pull it out... of his arse... What a <deleted>... Not begrudging what the Dogs did this year but give me a <deleted> break Peter Gordon. You didn't see Andrew Ireland or Richard Colless crying for Benny McGlynn to be given a premiership medal in '12. 

There'll be a <deleted> uproar if this motion is carried.

I would've thought a medal would be meaningless if you didn't play in the game anyway.

• Like 1

The GF is over with and were 5 days from the most interesting period of the season...TRADE WEEK....

Speculation is running rifle......for get the medal forget who came second its all over red rover...just like who came second in the tipping....your forgotten forever....never heard of you...hehe...

The Crows have there eyes on Ports Hartlett.....this ones been circulating a while now....nice pic of him kicking for goal in the Age this morning handsome guy too....

Lions...Fagen a former  Dee's reserve coach (thought i recognised the name) will lead them this year, still the names of Rockliff and Hanley are up as trade bait....and hot of the press Lions keen to get there hands on one of my fav players at the Dee's who managed about 1 game this year in Lynden Dunn...out of favour all year after being the backbone of our defence, around 28/9 maybe 30, long kick and can drop it on your chest...

Blues Gibbs has rejected a move home, GWS Marchbanks wants a move to Princess park while another Giant in James Stewart is on the Blues agenda...another couple of years all the cream that went to the Giants and Suns will have made it too other clubs....

Pies....have offered deals to Daniel Wells of North and Freo's Chris Mayne.

Fremantale....Ballanttyne will move to his retirement home  over at the Eagles Mayne is heading east while Barlow is on the cards to make a move also....rumours of Fyfe leaving are not going away...

They have managed to pick up Brad Hill from the Hawks assuming they can trade for him and speculation mounting they have GWS McCarthy...

Cats big players last season have used up all there good will and money Motlop expected to be put up for trade..

Hawks keen on Swan Mitchel, O'Mera and tiger Ty Vickery loosing Hill while possibly trading off Breust and or Sicily...such is life when you dont get your 4th on the trott..

Dee's were going back to the draft.....so they say yet were linked to geriatric Thompson from the Crows not so long ago hope it stays a rumour Hibbert is in Hogan we shall not talk about but taken he is gone if he hasn't resigned by mid season...Dunn will go to Lions and Trentgrove might make it over to the Tigers this time....

Saints keen on GWS (wont be anyone left up there soon) Jack Steel and have tons of space in there salary cap...

Bulldogs....Cloke....

WCE...after a ruckman...Lobb....????...Petrie is in, centrelink will now set up offices at the Eagles training base to handle the influx of the expected rush of retires there....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

Jesse Hogan has signed a new 2 yer deal with the Dees. He is now contracted till the end of 2019.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2016/10/04/09/11/hogan-re-signs-with-afl-demons

We'll thats a weight off my mind.....thank you rip...the merry go round didn't even start....last thing an emerging team who ever that may be needs is there most promising key position player up for a cash grab.....Says a lot about the mob that run the place now....finally the back room boys have there act together...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Bloody hell, Lobb, not available now either.

West Coast should try for Pearce Hanley as their number 1 target IMO.

Essendon wont be needing Jamar.....made it to All Australian one year....the only year he was ever any good i might add.....will come cheap centrelink will top up his payments there WILL....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Essendon wont be needing Jamar.....made it to All Australian one year....the only year he was ever any good i might add.....will come cheap centrelink will top up his payments there WILL....

You're killing me AlexRRR, I'm fragile at the minute.

All of this talk about the big Petrie Dish going to WC is murdering me.

There's talk on the Soi about a 3 way deal which includes, Eric MacKenzie going to GWS, McCarthy going from GWS to Freo and Ballantyne going to WC!

If that's the case, we should just trade Macca for McCarthy.

What's going on down there!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You're killing me AlexRRR, I'm fragile at the minute.

All of this talk about the big Petrie Dish going to WC is murdering me.

There's talk on the Soi about a 3 way deal which includes, Eric MacKenzie going to GWS, McCarthy going from GWS to Freo and Ballantyne going to WC!

If that's the case, we should just trade Macca for McCarthy.

What's going on down there!

Awwww you know how it is.......filler time got to keep the punters interested, relax switch off all devices for a month and go for a walk in sunny Thailand where ever you are there and try not to get a whiff of the open sewers......

• Like 1