Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

$80,000 fine for North Melbourne

NORTH Melbourne has been slapped with a massive $50,000 fine and coach Brad Scott fined a further $30,000 for his post-match comments about the umpires.

The AFL also considered suspending Scott but was swayed not to, given North made an unreserved apology little more than 12 hours after the Roos coach falsely claimed the umpires refused to pay Lindsay Thomas free kicks during the Kangaroos' nine-point loss to Hawthorn on Friday night.

AFL football operations manager Mark Evans told reporters on Tuesday afternoon Scott's comments had impugned the integrity of umpires and the League, warranting the hefty penalties for both club and coach.

"We don't have great precedents in these areas so it was really (a matter of) considering the comments and the impact that they had and we came to that (outcome) today," Evans said.

"We felt that Brad's comments had gone past more than just criticism of umpires and we felt that they actually went to the integrity of our umpiring staff, our umpires and the AFL itself.

"So we felt that there were actions there, not just the comments but actions, that maybe the club could have averted this."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-21/roos-scott-cop-massive-fines-for-false-umpire-claims

Jesus H Christ!! 80K. Thats ridiculous.

Best he answers all questions at the next presser with "No comment".

Just imagine if the umpire was female. ??

Edited by joboss
  • Like 1

Richmond players will boycott radio station Triple M in support of Caroline Wilson

RICHMOND players and officials will boycott Triple M’s coverage of Saturday’s clash against Brisbane at the MCG in support of football writer Caroline Wilson.

A group of senior Tigers players approached club bosses about the move on Monday afternoon in protest to the radio station’s botched Queen’s Birthday broadcast.

Triple M will broadcast the game from noon.

Requests for pre- and post-game interviews with Richmond players and staff have been officially rejected.

Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt told Fox Footy’s AFL360: “The football club is not going to partake in anything to do with Triple M this week and it hasn’t been set - a final date yet - and so it may continue on.

“There have been discussions had at the footy club in terms of how we felt about it and how everything went down in regards to Caro, and I think the club is pretty strong in their stance.

“Our club is a real leader in supporting women’s rights and we’ve done a lot of things with (chief executive) Brendon Gale being a (Male) Champion of Change as well.

“This has come from a couple of senior players. I was sitting in the car speaking to my partner Carly about it, and the way I look at it, and the way we’ve spoken about it is, if it was her in that situation and I was the partner of her - and Caro has got a husband - how would you feel about that?

“You’ve just got to put yourself in her shoes, and it was pretty much a no-brainer for us in the end.”

A Richmond spokesman on Tuesday night confirmed the club had backed the player-driven black ban.

“I’m so proud of my football club to be able to do this and be a face of change and stand up and say you know what: ‘We don’t think this is the way to go about it, we don’t think it’s right’,” Riewoldt said.

“I’m really proud of the club and the people who have made the decision.”

Triple M stars Eddie McGuire, James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley have all apologised for a Queen’s Birthday radio segment where they joked about drowning Wilson in next year’s Big Freeze at the ‘G.

Brayshaw, the chairman of North Melbourne, will front Saturday’s Triple M coverage alongside Frawley, an All-Australian selector and St Kilda assistant coach.

McGuire is not a member of the Triple M football team but headlines the station’s weekday Hot Breakfast program.

Triple M is yet to issue an apology to Wilson for airing the botched June 13 segment.

As of 5pm Tuesday, Brayshaw, unlike McGuire and Frawley, had also failed to make contact with Wilson to apologise for his involvement.

• Like 1

I wont quote the relevant posts to save space but I'm firmly in the pro-Caroline camp.

I like her articles and the mark of a good journalist is that you still read their stories whether you agree with the content or not. (Politics excepted.)

Like it or not, 50% of AFL supporters are women and a lot of TV advertising is directed at them.

This is what pays for the clubs.

I've supported McGuire in the past, I thought a lot of the "Eddie everywhere" criticism was petty but he's done his dash now.

How can he deal with young players in his club that carry on like he does?

People say he should be a role model, well he is... for those that the AFL should not want.

Mate its about what she writes not that she's a woman...all off sudden a female can use the get out of jail card card for the fact she is female.

We walk a slippery slope, a high wire line, put yourself in the firing line...hey up goes the card...I AM WOMAN, she can shoot at you but the guys can't shoot back.

You make like her style of reporting i dont i avoid her articles like they have the black plague her tone is always that of a 1920's head master, she's been found wanting in quite a few and she's in the business of helping sell newspapers, her friends have openly said they didn't think there was anything in it, now the media circus is helping to sell a few extra newspapers thats Wilsons job, if she was a real pro journalist she wouldn't bothered to comment because its part of the job, if Eddie had said that about a guy nothing not even a whimper we would of heard.

I think to many have closed minds were in the time of political correctness where does it end? We will have to walk around with a PR man who checks everything we say and do, tape our mouths up pull out tongues out were next?

$80,000 fine for North Melbourne

NORTH Melbourne has been slapped with a massive $50,000 fine and coach Brad Scott fined a further $30,000 for his post-match comments about the umpires.

The AFL also considered suspending Scott but was swayed not to, given North made an unreserved apology little more than 12 hours after the Roos coach falsely claimed the umpires refused to pay Lindsay Thomas free kicks during the Kangaroos' nine-point loss to Hawthorn on Friday night.

AFL football operations manager Mark Evans told reporters on Tuesday afternoon Scott's comments had impugned the integrity of umpires and the League, warranting the hefty penalties for both club and coach.

"We don't have great precedents in these areas so it was really (a matter of) considering the comments and the impact that they had and we came to that (outcome) today," Evans said.

"We felt that Brad's comments had gone past more than just criticism of umpires and we felt that they actually went to the integrity of our umpiring staff, our umpires and the AFL itself.

"So we felt that there were actions there, not just the comments but actions, that maybe the club could have averted this."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-21/roos-scott-cop-massive-fines-for-false-umpire-claims

Jesus H Christ!! 80K. Thats ridiculous.

Best he answers all questions at the next presser with "No comment".

Just imagine if the umpire was female. ??

Yeah but his on 600,00 + bonus 80 is holiday money with the mistress...or mister...

Richmond players will boycott radio station Triple M in support of Caroline Wilson

RICHMOND players and officials will boycott Triple M’s coverage of Saturday’s clash against Brisbane at the MCG in support of football writer Caroline Wilson.

A group of senior Tigers players approached club bosses about the move on Monday afternoon in protest to the radio station’s botched Queen’s Birthday broadcast.

Triple M will broadcast the game from noon.

Requests for pre- and post-game interviews with Richmond players and staff have been officially rejected.

Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt told Fox Footy’s AFL360: “The football club is not going to partake in anything to do with Triple M this week and it hasn’t been set - a final date yet - and so it may continue on.

“There have been discussions had at the footy club in terms of how we felt about it and how everything went down in regards to Caro, and I think the club is pretty strong in their stance.

“Our club is a real leader in supporting women’s rights and we’ve done a lot of things with (chief executive) Brendon Gale being a (Male) Champion of Change as well.

“This has come from a couple of senior players. I was sitting in the car speaking to my partner Carly about it, and the way I look at it, and the way we’ve spoken about it is, if it was her in that situation and I was the partner of her - and Caro has got a husband - how would you feel about that?

“You’ve just got to put yourself in her shoes, and it was pretty much a no-brainer for us in the end.”

A Richmond spokesman on Tuesday night confirmed the club had backed the player-driven black ban.

“I’m so proud of my football club to be able to do this and be a face of change and stand up and say you know what: ‘We don’t think this is the way to go about it, we don’t think it’s right’,” Riewoldt said.

“I’m really proud of the club and the people who have made the decision.”

Triple M stars Eddie McGuire, James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley have all apologised for a Queen’s Birthday radio segment where they joked about drowning Wilson in next year’s Big Freeze at the ‘G.

Brayshaw, the chairman of North Melbourne, will front Saturday’s Triple M coverage alongside Frawley, an All-Australian selector and St Kilda assistant coach.

McGuire is not a member of the Triple M football team but headlines the station’s weekday Hot Breakfast program.

Triple M is yet to issue an apology to Wilson for airing the botched June 13 segment.

As of 5pm Tuesday, Brayshaw, unlike McGuire and Frawley, had also failed to make contact with Wilson to apologise for his involvement.

I guess the Tigers are saving themselves the blow torch of Wilsons mouth when she begins her assessment of what went wrong down there, interesting triple m haven't issued an apology, Brayshaw and Frawely made one apology but looks like the death camps all over again, you cant say sorry enough times.

One time years ago i had to do jury duty, the defending barrister put the blow torch on the the police man in the witness box, attacked him in every possible way, i really felt for him they made the guy look so lame like he did the crime, and hour later as we were leaving the court....what did i see? that barrister getting into the lift with that cop he just tore shreds off laughing and joking....the moral of the story is...next week Caroline will be getting g into a life with the same guys that wanted to drown her laughing about it all, The Age will be happy, AFL will have a higher profile as will each person involved....its just a game most of you guys are getting sucked into.

• Like 1

I wont quote the relevant posts to save space but I'm firmly in the pro-Caroline camp.

I like her articles and the mark of a good journalist is that you still read their stories whether you agree with the content or not. (Politics excepted.)

Like it or not, 50% of AFL supporters are women and a lot of TV advertising is directed at them.

I've supported McGuire in the past, I thought a lot of the "Eddie everywhere" criticism was petty but he's done his dash now.

People say he should be a role model, well he is... for those that the AFL should not want.

Mate its about what she writes not that she's a woman...all off sudden a female can use the get out of jail card card for the fact she is female.

We walk a slippery slope, a high wire line, put yourself in the firing line...hey up goes the card...I AM WOMAN, she can shoot at you but the guys can't shoot back.

You make like her style of reporting i dont i avoid her articles like they have the black plague her tone is always that of a 1920's head master, she's been found wanting in quite a few and she's in the business of helping sell newspapers, her friends have openly said they didn't think there was anything in it, now the media circus is helping to sell a few extra newspapers thats Wilsons job, if she was a real pro journalist she wouldn't bothered to comment because its part of the job, if Eddie had said that about a guy nothing not even a whimper we would of heard.

I think to many have closed minds were in the time of political correctness where does it end? We will have to walk around with a PR man who checks everything we say and do, tape our mouths up pull out tongues out were next?

Alex, you are making judgments without listening to what she is saying. Listen to what she has been saying since Monday in her interviews. You can find them on the Fairfax site and on Footy Classified. She is reasonable and considered and impartial and doesn't play a victim in any interview or response. I haven't seen any reference to what her friends said in around 10 articles/TV shows i read and even if there was, it has no relevance

If Eddie has a problem with what he has written, he should respond to her about what she wrote, instead he has decided to to go for an underhanded personal attack in an effort to personally denigrate her...Classic bully tactics and the response has shown that most people don't find it acceptable anymore. As a journalist, Wilson should have zero expectation that people will personally attack her....Attack and argue what she has reported. The facts, the subject, not the journalist on a personal level.

I can't see Eddie saying what he did about any male journalist. he must have given it thought and decided to spew out some vitriol why he had the opportunity, attempting to disguise his loathing of Wilson under the terms of 'banter'.

There is nothing politically correct about responding unfavorably to what he said. He is a high profile media personality and President of Collingwood football club. He should show some leadership. If that was some nobody (lie myself) making a comment like that on their own facebook page it could be judged by my fiends how they wanted.

• Like 1

Alex, you are making judgments without listening to what she is saying. Listen to what she has been saying since Monday in her interviews. You can find them on the Fairfax site and on Footy Classified. She is reasonable and considered and impartial and doesn't play a victim in any interview or response. I haven't seen any reference to what her friends said in around 10 articles/TV shows i read and even if there was, it has no relevance

If Eddie has a problem with what he has written, he should respond to her about what she wrote, instead he has decided to to go for an underhanded personal attack in an effort to personally denigrate her...Classic bully tactics and the response has shown that most people don't find it acceptable anymore. As a journalist, Wilson should have zero expectation that people will personally attack her....Attack and argue what she has reported. The facts, the subject, not the journalist on a personal level.

I can't see Eddie saying what he did about any male journalist. he must have given it thought and decided to spew out some vitriol why he had the opportunity, attempting to disguise his loathing of Wilson under the terms of 'banter'.

There is nothing politically correct about responding unfavorably to what he said. He is a high profile media personality and President of Collingwood football club. He should show some leadership. If that was some nobody (lie myself) making a comment like that on their own facebook page it could be judged by my fiends how they wanted.

I thought the AFL missed a massive opportunity to make a statement against Ed and Brayshw but instead gave a lecture.

In a week where they handed out a huge (deservedly) fine to North, they were weak IMO.

• Like 1

For the WA boys...Glen Jakovich on Open Mike

His brother Allen could really play as well.

I'm sure AlexRRR remembers some of his games at Melbourme.

Woosha nearly killed him in the players race after the game for kissing Glen and for generally being a smart arse.

Edited by Will27

The boys get stuck into Barry Hall for possibly the worst bit of commentary I've ever heard.

Friday Front Bar: King of the sack

http://www.afl.com.au/fridayfrontbar

Bazz was trying to say too many things in a 3 second grab

I like Friday front bar...very funny stuff... I hope they don't continue the recent theme of Richmond and Carlton though

• Like 2

Does anybody know where the 80k fine goes?

Seeing as it was inspired by the Big Freeze I suggest the AFL send it to there.

The media exposure they can have for free.

The Fines the AFL collect go into the AFL Foundation, which are then given to charities of some type...maybe some grass roots football too.

• Like 2

Straight into the AFL coffers mate.

A big whack for North and Scott that's for sure.

Maybe Scott will check his facts next time.

He's too emotional for a coach I reckon and he's got form for

having run-ins with officials.

Straight into the AFL coffers mate.

A big whack for North and Scott that's for sure.

Maybe Scott will check his facts next time.

He's too emotional for a coach I reckon and he's got form for

having run-ins with officials.

Im a bit partial to emotional coaches, makes for a laugh or two.

A spinning wooden top is more interesting than a stationary one.

Though I do prefer the marshmellow quotes K Sheedy types.

Do you remember the slit throat gesture?

Maybe Brad Scott should meet some Martians.

Different issue mate... This was for Scotty whacking the umps over some rumours he'd heard about them not paying frees to Lindsay because he's a ducker...

AFL didn't sanction or hasn't sanctioned the 3 musketeers for what they said about Caro..

• Like 1

Different issue mate... This was for Scotty whacking the umps over some rumours he'd heard about them not paying frees to Lindsay because he's a ducker...

AFL didn't sanction or hasn't sanctioned the 3 musketeers for what they said about Caro..

Yes,, Sorry about that. A seniors moment, they are becoming more frequent, I think?

At last, some good news to come out of all thisbiggrin.png

Eddie McGuire’s request to sit out Fox Footy’s Thursday night coverage approved.

EDDIE McGuire will sit out Fox Footy’s Thursday night football coverage saying he’s “emotionally and physically flattened”.

The Collingwood president and media personality requested the time off after the Caroline Wilson drowning “joke” controversy blew up this week, resulting in apologies to Wilson, fans and the Collingwood board.

“The events of the week have emotionally and physically flattened me,” he told Fairfax Media.

“I don’t think I’d be able to perform to the level that people would want to see on Thursday night footy.”

McGuire asking for the weekend off from Fox Footy has coincided with Sarah Jones taking over as anchor of the telecast for the first time.

• Like 2

“I don’t think I’d be able to perform to the level that people would want to see on Thursday night footy.”

I have been saying that about Eddie for at least 10 years...

He needs to get back on the Sydney and GWS academy band wagon... that will cheer him up

• Like 2

Congrats to the fab five who got all 6 and joboss for getting the chocolates.

Don't forget the footy kicks of next Thursday night with Ade versus Norf.

Also, Freo against Collingwood at the G is a hard one (for me) to tip.

Couple of interesting games this week.

Freo V Collingwood is very difficult to pick. Maybe Colingwood is favorite due to teh game being in Melbourne. Toss a coin for that one.

Adelaie v North. Adealide have their confidence up, and North should have won against the Hawks last week, but couldn't kick straight....North have Cunnington and Swallow returning..

The possible upset for the round is Richmond v Brissie for me. If that game was in Brissie i would be tipping them. Last week they won most all of the stats, but just couldn't finish it off on the scoreboard..Their defence is also way soft...a bt like Richmond's forward line. Still, i will be picking Richmond being at the MCG

• Like 1

Saw Freo play last week, thought it was a good game.

Best effort I have seen this year.

Seems like they are off the latte and on the short black.

I reckon they are a good chance if they can maintain the endeavour.

Hopefully the Pies will be as flat as E. Everywhere.

Nothing in it on the bets. Pies @ $1.88; Dockers @ $1.95

• Like 2

For the WA boys...Glen Jakovich on Open Mike

His brother Allen could really play as well.

I'm sure AlexRRR remembers some of his games at Melbourme.

Woosha nearly killed him in the players race after the game for kissing Glen and for generally being a smart arse.

Yes Alan could play, may even had the best games to goal ratio of anyone, he pretty much had it all both brothers were a class above most everyone else.

Alan was full froward during out golden reign under John Northey, unfortunately for us out 5 key players pretty much were killed off over an 18 month period killing any real chance of a premiership, Alan along with Gary Lyon go down with serious shoulder injuries, Gary got back Alan not, eventually made it to the Bulldogs for a brief spell, Prmpye not sure of his spelling key centre half back goes down, was killing every centre half forward around, Sean White full back when out with a knee evenly made it back and Swartz goes down with one of his 3 knee injuries....our goal to goal line was murdered in 18 months.

• Like 2

Not that i want to keep it going and am clearly in the minority here but i couldn't not post what Sam Newman said last night on The Footy Show.

"The jig's up Caro, honestly and truly. You're becoming an embarrassment. And even if you were underwater, you'd still be talking," the Footy Show host said on the program Wednesday night.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/youre-an-embarrassment-caro-sam-newman-weighs-in-20160622-gpprhe.html#ixzz4CMXt7X00
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

"If you're going to want to be treated equally, the point is, don't complain when it's too equal," Newman said.

Newman and Wilson have a long history of run-ins – most famously when he dressed a lingerie-clad mannequin with a mask of her face, manhandling it as he made provocative remarks.

"People want a little bit of logic and a little bit of fairness," he said.

"If you search for a cause to fit a narrative, eventually you'll convince yourself that you've stumbled onto something, as most of the cowardly excrement have.

"Those excrement who have weighed into this — I'd like to mention their names, but as nobody reads or listens to them because they're on second-tier media outlets. I won't bother. But if you spray excrement with perfume or put aftershave on a piece of excrement, at the end of the day, it's still a piece of excrement."

Newman's Footy Show co-host, James Brayshaw, who was involved in the Triple M segment, said "you are entitled to your opinion, Sam".

"I don't agree with, certainly, that last bit.

"Some of the language used in that 30-second segment was off the pace, and for that reason, it was absolutely appropriate that we apologise.

"Offence was taken and I can understand why."

Rebecca Maddern, Newman's female co-host, defended McGuire's reputation, but condemned his comments.

"I do agree in part with Sam on this, that the men involved are all good men. I know how they feel about violence against women, and it's exactly how I feel.

"These men made a mistake. They have acknowledged they made a mistake. They have apologised for that mistake, and that apology has been accepted. So we're at a point now where all we can do is move forward. We need to move forward in a positive way."

"I think in the media, we have to be reminded that we are in a very privileged position. We have a voice. That voice is listened to by many people, and people absorb what we say. And in turn, because of that, we have a power to change the conversation and shape the public perception about certain issues," she said.

Newman was reacting to the week-long controversy that has surrounded Pies president Eddie McGuire, after he told a radio audience he wanted to see her drown.

McGuire has apologised several times and been censured by his club and the AFL.

Some big-name Twitter users, including fellow Channel Nine star Lisa Wilkison, were quick to react to Newman's outburst.

As a foot note...

Newman's comments about Wilson have been obscured a little by the announcement of a surprise bid to run for the mayorship of Melbourne.

Newman told News Limited he was considering a Donald-Trump-style campaign against incumbent Robert Doyle. Newman is, perhaps unsurprisingly, an avowed Trump supporter.

As to his actual platform, there does not appear to be much detail yet, beyond some murmurings about cleaning up litter and graffiti in the city.

The DILL you may think he is is mask for his media persona he actually has a very good grasp of the played game along with several other commentators i always enjoyed his comments of the games he was involved with on radio.

For me this line is what I'm on about and totally agree with Sam...."People want a little bit of logic and a little bit of fairness," he said.

Logic in the context of a football club boss against a sports journalist, Wilson and the politicly correct have played the WOMAN'S get out of jail card, in my mind the comments made have nothing to do with gender and i rest my case.....

• Like 1

Gee Sam Newman defending Ed, that's a surpriserolleyes.gif

Sam defended Ed in the Adam Goodes saga as well if I remember.

Sam's no dill, but now just says stuff to be controversial.

How would you feel if some of the stuff said by Ed and Co was said about your wife?

The black widow, perfumed scorpion etc etc.

Like BookMan has previously said, challenge her about her articles but there's no need to get personal.

It's bullying every day of the week

Was watching AFL360last night and David King went off script and had a go at Robbo over Ed.

King was supposed to be discussing the sides who are having the bye this weekend and unleashed

a diatribe on Robbo's treatment of Ed. Robbo was clearly surprised and then said something along the lines off

"you're hardly objective, you work with him".

Typical boys club stuff. Always saying stuff like "we all love Ed and he's disappointed with himself",

Ed's a great guy, does a lot for the community, he knows he let himself down" etc etc.

Like Robbo said, they're like the Rat Pack.

Like Wilson said "people in footy/media are afraid of him".

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Gee Sam Newman defending Ed, that's a surpriserolleyes.gif

Sam defended Ed in the Adam Goodes saga as well if I remember.

Sam's no dill, but now just says stuff to be controversial.

How would you feel if some of the stuff said by Ed and Co was said about your wife?

The black widow, perfumed scorpion etc etc.

Like BookMan has previously said, challenge her about her articles but there's no need to get personal.

It's bullying every day of the week

Was watching AFL360last night and David King went off script and had a go at Robbo over Ed.

King was supposed to be discussing the sides who are having the bye this weekend and unleashed

a diatribe on Robbo's treatment of Ed. Robbo was clearly surprised and then said something along the lines off

"you're hardly objective, you work with him".

Typical boys club stuff. Always saying stuff like "we all love Ed and he's disappointed with himself",

Ed's a great guy, does a lot for the community, he knows he let himself down" etc etc.

Like Robbo said, they're like the Rat Pack.

Like Wilson said "people in footy/media are afraid of him".

Thought Robbo was bang on last night on 360 when Kingy tried to add his 2 cents worth, his plan to embarrass Robbo backfired when Robbo didn't back away from the issue.

Was hoping McLure was going to have a crack at Kingy as well... Kingy annoys the shit out of me when he carries on about anything....

As for Newman, he's just trying to get air time, never been any love lost between him and Caro so no surprise he came out in support of Ed and Brayshaw and as per usual, he inflamed the situation the way he carried on...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

Fantasy teams.

Only 4 hours & 30 minutes to Full lock out and I only have one (1) green dot player in my team.

Don't know who to trade and who to interchange.

Is anyone else facing the same?

Fantasy teams.

Only 4 hours & 30 minutes to Full lock out and I only have one (1) green dot player in my team.

Don't know who to trade and who to interchange.

Is anyone else facing the same?

When there is a game on Thursday there is only a partial lock out. You can change your team on Friday for the other games.

• Like 2