Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

A handsum man such as yourself must speak a few languages 

If JoBlow can afford to put his daughter through Melbourne Uni in law you can bet on it books, that short guy in the copy ray bans was someone else, rich people never look that dumb.....though plastic boobs i ask you?

There have been a number of discarded/unwanted players recycled by Sydney over the last 10 years...Perhaps this Essendon discard will be the latest to shine?

Third time lucky for young Swan hoping to repay the faith

NOBODY needs to tell Shaun Edwards how lucky he is.

It seems strange for a 23-year-old to be called a 'journeyman' but Edwards just about fits the bill, after arriving at his third AFL home late last year when the Swans grabbed him at the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

The Darwin boy showed all sorts of promise in 10 games for Greater Western Sydney in its debut season, but was only seen twice at senior level the following year, and failed to get out of the reserves in 2014. 

A move to Essendon in 2015 didn't change Edwards' career path, even with last year's extraordinary list changes, and after again teasing with spurts of brilliance, he was axed again after playing 12 games in two seasons. 

Edwards told AFL.com.au he "was obviously not doing something right" at GWS and the Bombers, but despite questions over his work rate and the defensive side of his game, he's hoping to leave all that behind him and start fresh in Sydney. 

"There was just a bit of inconsistency in my game previously and I flashed in and out of games when I stepped up to AFL level," he said. 

"I faced a lot of challenges in my time at the Giants and the Bombers but I think I've learned from them, and now I'm just trying to push forward and make my home here.

"That chapter is closed now and what matters is what's happening inside the four walls at the Swans, so I'm just focused on the 'now'.

"I was only 22 when I got delisted (by Essendon) so I definitely thought I still had a few years left in the bank, and I'll be forever grateful to the Swans for giving me a third opportunity."

The Swans have long been lauded for their magic touch when it comes to recycled players, with the likes of club captain Josh Kennedy, and recent retirees Ted Richards (Essendon) and Ben McGlynn (Hawthorn) just three players to excel once they became Swans.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-14/third-time-lucky-for-young-swan-shaun-edwards-hoping-to-repay-the-faith

• Like 1

AFL is growing in Sydney with the success of the Swans, Giants and introduction of GWS’s AFLW team

Last season the Sydney Swans were swept away by a wave of Western Bulldogs emotion in the Grand Final, while Greater Western Sydney fell agonisingly short in the preliminary final in just their fifth season.

But 2017 brings plenty of expectation for both Sydney clubs. The Giants are $5 favourites to win the flag with the TAB and the Swans are the third most fancied at $7.50.

The stunning on-field performances were matched by record TV ratings, memberships and crowd numbers.

Until 2016 aggregate attendances hadn’t broken the 500,000 mark but last year the turnstiles spun like a top with 640,000 people showing up at the 27 games in NSW and the ACT.

The academies of both clubs are producing elite local talent which was on show on Grand Final day where Isaac Heeney (Newcastle), Callum Mills (Mosman) and Sam Naismith (Gunnadah) brought NSW numbers in the Swans team to six alongside then co-captains Kieren Jack and Jarrad McVeigh and All-Australian defender Dane Rampe.

It’s a world away from when Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham arrived in Sydney in 1988 and the Swans were in their sixth season in the harbour city and battling to establish a foothold.

“When the Swans came to Sydney they were absolutely nowhere,” Pridham told The Sunday Telegraph.

“They were a transplanted team not materially different to when the NRL put the Rams in Adelaide. It takes time, you can’t build passion and intergenerational support in two or three seasons it’s a long process.”

Pridham witnessed the departures of three top three draft picks Darren Gaspar (pick No.1, 1993), Anthony Rocca (pick No.2, 1994) and Shannon Grant (pick No.3, 1994) all within the space of two years to Melbourne clubs.

He is convinced growing the game in NSW has helped reduce the go-home factor which plagued the Swans in the early days.

“We’ve worked towards developing the game in NSW with the AFL,” Pridham said.

“Getting it into schools and building the love of the game is vital. The effect is kids start playing and it’s a numbers game and the better chance of finding players who can play. The effect is you see the Kieren Jacks, the Mills, the Heeneys, the Rampes, the Naismiths and the McVeighs.

“In an ideal world you’d have an over representation of NSW players. When you look at WA, SA and Victorian clubs the majority of players are from their home states.

“The northern clubs haven’t been able to do it because the players haven’t been there. If all else is equal you remove the go home factor.”

The Giants have no less than 27 former players on other team’s lists after nine trades in the off-season.

GWS chairman Tony Shepherd believes it will take decades for his team to build real success.

“It could take us 20 years to get there,” Shepherd said.

“We might do it sooner than 20 years but it will take a long time to put down permanent roots and continued on field success is paramount. The AFL has invested significantly in community football and it’s having a real effect.

“We have some advantages, the AFL is established here, we have on field success which is vital in the Sydney market and thirdly the academies are critical.”

The Giants academy has developed plenty of talent from the Riverina but none from Western Sydney or Canberra (following the departure of Jack Steele to St Kilda).

Shepherd believes the elite talent from the area will eventually come but for the moment the academies are helping Aussie rules at the grassroots

“It’s not just the ones who play AFL,” Shepherd said.

“We are getting thousands of others who are trained at the elite level who go back into the community and strengthen AFL across the board.

“This is a far deeper strategy than when the Swans were established. The Swans were hung out to dry. The first 10 years were partially wasted but when the code got serious about it then the Swans really started to have success.”

STATE OF GROWTH

— Sydney Swans membership up 15.7%

— GWS Giants membership up 13.6%

— 2016 NSW/ACT AFL players: 237,549 up (10.4%)

- 2016 NSW/ACT Auskick players: 61,037 (up 18.24%)

- 2016 NSW/ACT AFL 9s players: 7347 (up 12.2%)

- 2016 NSW/ACT female players: 85,919 (up 23%)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/afl-is-growing-in-sydney-with-the-success-of-the-swans-giants-and-introduction-of-gwss-aflw-team/news-story/a6da3abd8d2e6ae4a2909d64dfd057aa

• Like 2

Essendon has stood down rookie Yestin Eades after an alleged incident

Another player bites the dust after having been charged by the cops.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-has-stood-down-rookie-yestin-eades-after-an-alleged-incident/news-story/cfa243868fbaa8be2eecdc90f65ef6dc

Edited by Will27

25 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Essendon has stood down rookie Yestin Eades after an alleged incident

Another player bites the dust after having been charged by the cops.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-has-stood-down-rookie-yestin-eades-after-an-alleged-incident/news-story/cfa243868fbaa8be2eecdc90f65ef6dc

It's shame. So much pressure on places now with the 12 back and being a semi peripheral player you'd think he has stamped his ticket.

I heard about this a while back so they have sat on the story for some reason. I am under the impression this was why he was demoted to the rookie list but still retained late last but could be wrong there. Not sure what he has done but it can't be good.

On 1/15/2017 at 0:50 AM, BookMan said:

There have been a number of discarded/unwanted players recycled by Sydney over the last 10 years...Perhaps this Essendon discard will be the latest to shine?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-14/third-time-lucky-for-young-swan-shaun-edwards-hoping-to-repay-the-faith

I think / I hope you get a good one there BM.

Not sure why he has not made the grade consistently but has the skills and athleticism. It is his third club so something gets in the way but his upside is there for the gamble. Probably more forward than down back but can be sharp. Seems to drop out of the play too often though which pisses line coaches off... goes missing just does not get enough of the ball. 

Here is an interview/ link after one of his better games. speaks well. 

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-07-11/edwards-excites-for-bombers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joboss said:

Nat Fyfe to sport high ponytail as Dockers captain.

Nat said he will get some blond highlights in his manbun turned top knot ponytail if he gets the votes and is elected Dockers captain 2017.

“I have instructed my legal team to petition the AFL to allow players to wear makeup, ie: blusher and lippy.” The injury prone player tweeted.

He might as well make his last year at Freo a highlight to remember.

• Like 1

Boost for North with Daw only set to miss four

MAJAK Daw should play in the JLT Community Series after receiving the better-than-expected news his right knee injury will only sideline him for four weeks.

The North Melbourne ruckman/forward suffered a meniscus tear in a straight-line running drill last Monday, an injury that can involve a rehabilitation period of up to eight weeks.

North senior performance consultant Steve Saunders said scans of the injury suggested the injury was worse than initially expected, but Daw's operation had allayed the club's fears. 

"It scanned a little bit worse than we actually found out it was, so we're looking at a timeframe for Maj of returning to full training in around four weeks, so we're really happy with the outcome," Saunders told NMFC.com.au.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-16/scans-reveal-daw-only-set-to-miss-four

11 minutes ago, ozzydom said:

Does anybody have any up to date info on Watchafl for the upcoming season?

I don't think they have finalised their pricing for the 2017 fixture as yet. They do not list the rounds or telecasts as yet . Pre season too unknown as yet. 

Give it a coupla weeks. 

https://watchafl.afl.com.au/auth/moredetails

2016 @ 185 aud supproter bundle

http://shop.afl.com.au/watchafl-global-pass-subscription-and-supporter-bundle-95569.phtml

But you are right,  we need the footy!

• Like 1

AFL

BOWEN: HAWTHORN MOST LIKELY  ON THEIR WAY DOWN; DEES AND SAINTS WILL IMPROVE.

Bowen has backed in Melbourne and St. Kilda to be the big improvers of 2017, with the journalist expecting both sides to make serious pushes for a finals place.

“The two teams who I see really improving and going up the ladder – and it’s more organic improvement from the last couple of years – is Melbourne and St. Kilda,” he said.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/01/17/bowen-hawthorn-most-likely-on-their-way-down-dees-and-saints-will-improve/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Like last year,any of possibly 14 teams have a chance,you just need those tight games to go your way.

Way to early for predictions.:smile:

So true fj, Tipping early games will be a nightmare

I started with GWS up top and the Lions at the bottom ,its the in between that are a bit of a lottery

• Like 1

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/which-aflw-team-should-you-support-20170112-gtpycx.html

Check out who you should be following in the womens league guys, there telling me i should concider the Bulldogs, well if kat was playing for them i could you know....

Dont be shy you out of Vic guys you wont land a Victorian team after the first question....

AFL

BOWEN: HAWTHORN MOST LIKELY  ON THEIR WAY DOWN; DEES AND SAINTS WILL IMPROVE.

Bowen has backed in Melbourne and St. Kilda to be the big improvers of 2017, with the journalist expecting both sides to make serious pushes for a finals place.

“The two teams who I see really improving and going up the ladder – and it’s more organic improvement from the last couple of years – is Melbourne and St. Kilda,” he said.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/01/17/bowen-hawthorn-most-likely-on-their-way-down-dees-and-saints-will-improve/

Yep i aggree and i still think the Pies just might make a move on, they should have risen last year the biggest drop has to be NORTH and i recon WCE well take a hammering this coming season too.

Saints should finnish around 4th or 5th assuming they dont get flaky so often, the Dee's well i thought they would slot in at around 8th but the news from hell is that Lewis has been a revelation on the training track there saying an "elite trainer" hopefully all those flags and success will rub off on a few of the guys and hey 6th or 7th not out of the question....
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Yep i aggree and i still think the Pies just might make a move on, they should have risen last year the biggest drop has to be NORTH and i recon WCE well take a hammering this coming season too.

Saints should finnish around 4th or 5th assuming they dont get flaky so often, the Dee's well i thought they would slot in at around 8th but the news from hell is that Lewis has been a revelation on the training track there saying an "elite trainer" hopefully all those flags and success will rub off on a few of the guys and hey 6th or 7th not out of the question....

I think WC will be ok.

Picking up Sam Mitchell was a huge get for us.

Saint Kilda 4th or 5th! Take the syringe out of your arm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

I'd prefer a separate thread for the women's league:bah:

Absolutely! It was hard enough to get Alex to stop crapping on about Headers, but now he seems to be greatly enamoured with this silly experiment and talks about it as if it's real footy.

I just got caught out while reading an AFL newsletter about a player with only 11 games experience then suddenly realised it was about a bloody netballer!  Won't bother opening it again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Absolutely! It was hard enough to get Alex to stop crapping on about Headers, but now he seems to be greatly enamoured with this silly experiment and talks about it as if it's real footy.

I just got caught out while reading an AFL newsletter about a player with only 11 games experience then suddenly realised it was about a bloody netballer!  Won't bother opening it again.

Been there done that.

Opened up a headline that read something like "Star Pie breaks down" only to realise they were talking about the women's team.

• Like 1