Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

BREAKING: @VictoriaPolice

has interviewed a male Senior Constable over the leaking of the Dean #Laidley photos. He has been stood down and will be charged on summons. Could be facing up to 2 years in jail and/or $40K in fines. The force is furious.

Constable should tone up his Jedi Mindfulness and The Force Would be With Him  :coffee1:

Footy Classified episode is available.. some interesting topics discussed

https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2020/episode-15

The BIG one was Matthew Lloyd recognizing the home ground advantage of the MCG, saying Richmond had a 4 goal advantage against a Geelong or GWS when the MCG has a packed crowd 

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Will27 said:

BREAKING: @VictoriaPolice

has interviewed a male Senior Constable over the leaking of the Dean #Laidley photos. He has been stood down and will be charged on summons. Could be facing up to 2 years in jail and/or $40K in fines. The force is furious.

Hope the coppa looses his job and get the 40,000$ fine....it will hurt for more years more than 2 in the can....

Yes Vic Police and Gov livid indeed....lot of press about this in Mebourne monday..... its all about the police and your privacy.....and how we are meant to trust them...

• Like 2

Its dark days in the world of 2020, with the pandemic bring out the nutters, drop kicks and poo for brains humans, the coppa that put out Dean's pic will rue the day he dropped the ball for a moment, paying off that fine for the next 10 years without a job wont be easy, im sure his Mrs will wanna knife him in his sleep....now we have this.... https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/us/man-wore-kkk-hood-grocery-trnd/index.html you have to either laugh or cry, wearing a Klu Klax Klan hoodie while shopping, yes its Corvid-19 time, maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt, like he dint want anyone to come near him.....you think? the poo part is the symbol of the head gear....we are not born equal and thats been proven many times over the centuries ....I dont know....people like them could not have been born right? more likely dug up I think.....you know when you dig new footings around a home and you find things the kids left there 20 ys ago.....

I haven't read this as the heading is enough... https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/politics/trump-enlist-foreign-allies-blame-china-coronavirus/index.html after Bush was claiming weapons of mass destruction over there in the Middle East pretty much what comes out of Washington these days is like the Jordan Doco on Netflix...watch it at your own peril....yep I wont watch that either....I hate basketball....what a crappy game that is.....like what are the tactics? like what is the style of play? gees I dont know.....what I do like about basketball is this..the coach in a suite with one hand in his pocket pretty much always standing on the sidelines and gesturing to players to come on in and play your bit, yep thats about it.....frigging boring game, well if my Bro in-law likes it you know its meant for small minded people.....

Well this confirms my belief that the majority of white Americans are ummmmm not the brightest on the planet.... https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/social-distancing-ranger-pushing-lake-covid-19-trnd/index.html Ranger gets pushed into the lake over lecturing a crowed about social distancing..... They are always the loudest in a bar.....or anywhere your traveling, yep once in a bar/restro in Cambodia was this tall yank talking over the entire population inside this establishment....how many times have I seen some yanks out in the streets more animated....louder....than the rest? many times....even in LA and that was an experience im glad I had but dont want to repeat, the white yanks in general seemed stuck up even if they were serving you...yeah a waiter thinking there better than you...true...the only time i got a better reception in a shop was in a mall....Melrose Drive shops were like...hey my poo dont stink who are you? So who were the nicest people in LA? the Mulata's that drove my van from pick up and delivering me to my hotel and airport....the Negro Information people at the airport, the Latino's where ever I went, my hotel receptionists, one a guy from San Salvador the other your typical bust curve spunky early 40s hot latin babe......she had high sex appeal thats for sure, she use to make me dribble from the lips.....unfortunately I didnt get to see enough of her..... you couldn't get back to your room fast enough to realise the tension....now she was just sex appeal....love was the Japanese Receptionist in Tokyo...she I wont ever forget I completely overlooked the tiny room and having to hop over my bag to get to the bed every time With her etch into my memory your just walking around in a daze....she was sooooo nice..... Which reminds me of many years ago....alas I was married then and still in love with cute teacher wife, the Swedes had come to town for the tennis,  I was working in a backpackers hotel in the city when I met the sweetest Swedish blonde you ever layed your eyes on, we use to often meet on the stairs and chat for what like seemed forever, she and you could tell...was just itching for me to ask her out......but I had morals in them days.....there watered down now.....about a month after the summer Swede invasion there came a second a sprinkling of poms, obviously the lower class ones and a few Japs...well....I love Japs....one I got talking to as you do when you got time on your hands on this job that seemed to go on forever as materials use to dribble in, I found it ok to resist the Swede though she spell bound me...but the Japanese OMG she was hard too push away, a babe of course as well....and im at that magical hunsum age of around early 30's, gees I made a mistake getting married I can tell you.....well in the end I encouraged my apprentice to take her out so I could be left in peace...I just wasnt going to play up......and I never did while I was married.

Well if your not sure what "Normal" is.....tune into this Irish TV show "Normal People" we could learn something, https://www.thejournal.ie/how-many-people-watched-normal-people-on-tv-5091806-May2020/ got a good review and is highly recommended to Americans in particular.... and maybe a few expats overseas too.... who have forgotten what a Normal Aussie gets up too, like me we sit in our kitchen at 7.30 in the morning with a stiff double expresso to get the cobwebs off and blood circulating, the caffeine is known to get you up and going, its amazing of course....like a blind slowly drawing up over your eyes.....and a feeling of happiness slowly creeping all over your body, im lucky I have very high ceilings with a skillion roof shooting up to the north with 2 windows up high to let in winter sunlight....choo follows the sun around in the large living area during the day ive noticed....right now at 9.39 the sun has hit the 65inch telly wall....And no sun does not enter during summer.....and I have blinds on them windows anyway...we normal people haven now moved on from the hand held news paper I was so loathed to give up but was forced to as they continued over time to cut content to the point it was a couple of pages so we go on line......I once paid for the privilege of reading it on line, $25 a month, well that was a waste of money, I quickly came to my senses and knocked that on the head....The age lets you have around 4 to 8 article reads depending....and it depends if you were a paying reader before then its like 4 if your a pop in then its 8....some how my ip address or what ever you call it is known to the Age so once I  stoped my subscription I was getting 4 reads before id have to wipe history on the tap, well in a frantic effort to get the paper on tab one evening I miss typed ytheage and wow Instead of it opening to the front page It went to googles page instead of the Age...and from there I learned that I could once again get the 8 reads before clearing browser history.....The heard Sun....hahaha...its very funny I think....a worthless rag that my bro in-law now reads online you dont get any free reads, I did read this for the first 10 odd years of my working life as I use to go by train when an apprentice so a little kid with the big paper was difficult in them days on the train......and my dad read the age....we dont do that....anyway I did try and read the age on a crowded train a couple of times then switched, but eventually you mature and see the error of your ways by then I was driving to work and your dad does know best so you know.....well a few times in recent years ive ended up somewhere for a coffee and they have that paper hanging around....love the way I can read it from cover to cover in the time it takes to have a coffee....Yes Normal People.....im normal....I think.....

I told him im writing about you on Sunday, and I think you should read it....https://www.the42.ie/liam-hayes-5089254-May2020/ he drives very fast but is always late for training....player and jurno how not to be one eyed?  Well if he drives very fast and is always late for training it means hes a slow walker from car park to the rooms....or he goes the long way hence the fast driving....well this is Ireland isn't it.....hey its only a small place he could drive off the road into the Irish Sea.....

Well Fox coughed up the 12 million to the Aleague and still no talk about ditching there contract so its all good.....for now and over there at Dee land Jake say hes not a mid https://www.afl.com.au/news/432520/star-defender-a-mid-i-m-glad-i-m-a-tall-back-says-jake well id say the same...but what I do say is he'd be good in the forward line ....like he can mark that ball.....since we haven't got a forward that likes to lead at least Jake can take a contested mark....think about it Goodie.....Well not much AFL news to date but its all about to happen soon......like news WILL flow like wine with training resumption and a June kick off.....Your Mrs Uncle WILL  should being organising coffee meet ups since your hard to handle during games....didnt know that was in you....thought you a pleasnt mild mannered polite type unruly and thoughtful.....I got this fly hanging around me the last 30 min.......hes just 500mm from me and getting gamer....even landed on the lappie while typing.....I have a surprise for you kid....I am a fly swatter expert...like them snipers...im frigging good at getting kills on the board....I have a fly swatter hanging on a hook on my broom cupboard door....during them long school holidays one off my pass times was swatting flys.....I have a long history of swatting flys....can keep me amused for hours but alas the number of flys around these days are much less than the good old days......

• Like 2

@AlexRRR will be pleased to hear that One-eyed Eddie has once again reverted to publicly spouting the AFl is in fact the VFL and uppity interstate supporters should show respect
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/im-sick-of-them-eddie-mcguire-takes-aim-at-kane-corne-and-south-australians-in-blistering-takedown/news-story/fc7f938b192c21eeff26dffff8a93157

Eddie1.PNG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

@AlexRRR will be pleased to hear that One-eyed Eddie has once again reverted to publicly spouting the AFl is in fact the VFL and uppity interstate supporters should show respect
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/im-sick-of-them-eddie-mcguire-takes-aim-at-kane-corne-and-south-australians-in-blistering-takedown/news-story/fc7f938b192c21eeff26dffff8a93157

Eddie1.PNG

It's hard to know what hat Eddie is wearing at times.

Is he talking as the Collingwood President, a radio/TV personality or the AFL's mouthpiece?

He hasn't missed WA as well.

The history he's talking about should only be from 1990 as that's when the AFL started.

And the contract he's talking about (MCG) was only signed in 2018.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire says WA footy fans need to ‘get over’ Victorian bias claims

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-president-eddie-mcguire-says-wa-footy-fans-need-to-get-over-victorian-bias-claims-ng-b881540148z

The Collingwood president has hit back at those who accuse the competition of having a Victorian bias by allowing a high number of home games to Collingwood and Richmond at the MCG.

Just hours after retired Fremantle great Matthew Pavlich said WA-based clubs were growing tired with the Victorian-centric AFL, McGuire went on the attack, claiming the criticism was stupidity.

“What happens is people come in, they don’t understand the history, they don’t know the contracts, it’s blissful naivety and they say stupid things,” McGuire said on SEN.

But McGuire says he is “laughing” at the suggestion the AFL favours Victorian clubs.

“I laugh because it’s not going to change, it is what it is,” McGuire said.

“If they get a head up about it well so be it, but that’s the way it is, full stop. And 2058 is the next time that the Grand Final won’t be at the MCG.

“Get over that.”

Cats' Scott calls AFL-MCG deal a travesty

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6251444/cats-scott-calls-afl-mcg-deal-a-travesty/

Geelong coach Chris Scott has called the AFL's long-term grand final deal with the MCG a travesty.

He has the backing of Sydney coach John Longmire, who said the Swans would love the premiership decider to be played at different venues.

• Like 1

Eddie1.PNG

I saw those comments about Jezza's mark.

TBF, they were judging the best marks and he said "ït was iconic, in a GF and with great commontary".

But purely from a technical point of view, the mark itself wasn't that great.

That's another thin we have wrong with the media these day's.

Someone makes a call that's not popular and it get's turned into a headline,

which in context, it wasn't.

Had to laugh when I read that Jezza's daughter rang a radio station up slamming Cornes:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Despite wearing my navy blue tinted glasses, I think Jezza's grab deserves to be up there.   Wot makes it appear less than spectacular is that it was captured by only two cameras in grainy black and white.

Compare that to the ten zoom camera angles of 2020, each at 100 colour digital frames per second and 1524 x 128 pixels. No coincidence that nearly all of the top voted marks are from recent times.

Way back in 1974 playing for Newtown Under 12's in the Geelong Little League, whenever a kid jumped for a mark, there would be shouts of “JEZZA!!!!” (as it was for most of the '70's)

NOTE:  I polled a single vote in my team's best and fairest count that year, which was the highpoint of my football career.   Always a Try-Hard, I knew very well by the time I played Under 16's that my ability didn't quite match my ambition.    Carlton had to look elsewhere for talent.

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Will27 said:

But McGuire says he is “laughing” at the suggestion the AFL favours Victorian clubs.

“I laugh because it’s not going to change, it is what it is,” McGuire said.

“If they get a head up about it well so be it, but that’s the way it is, full stop. And 2058 is the next time that the Grand Final won’t be at the MCG.

“Get over that.”

Such arrogance, which will thankfully come to bit him in the <deleted> in coming years.
The 2058 contract wont be sustainable due to pressure/resentment interstate that grows.

• Like 1

Such arrogance, which will thankfully come to bit him in the <deleted> in coming years.
The 2058 contract wont be sustainable due to pressure/resentment interstate that grows.

Awwwwwww.......a new deal WILL get inked around 2045 when the Sate of Victoria offers the AFL 1 billion big ones and as a sweetner the AFL will sign over the GF for another 50 years.....Its all about the money kid.....and you interlopers interstate get a bite of the pie too....dont forget that....i dont hear any club presidents winging like they do here....

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Ahh, but as u say.. its about the money  and the AFL is dependant on having the other states, esp qld and nsw involved to make the cash they do. Without the interstate clubs the afl would be bankrupt and in the same basket case as soccer.

I'd say by 2025 a new deal will be forced by a combination of non Victorian supporters resentment, pressure from sponsors who are feeling it should be shared around to better reflect on themselves as national sponsors and lastly by media also deciding that they want to see the GF be shown in different states to satisfy viewer demand. 

As you say it's all about the money and the broadcast rights is where its at

i see your looking for a stand up comedian job there old Books.....reality and vagueness is like a mist over the horizon settling on the grass in the distance if you get the view....

Your view of the corporate world is some what  tinted towards emotions its not like that at all....show me the money....the color of the money.....green and lots of mid green bills..........since you were never a week by week proposition going to the footy like me and a few others who did there apprentiship following loosers for ever an a day, chooks and me quickly come to mind.... alas no one takes any notice of Thai expats who arnt in the country to plonk down there hard earned or rightfully gained mula, or a  refugee from Rugby world Sydney, you can push the politicly corect view and get a few likes etc etc but it aint gonna happen....unless the State of victoria finds gold in the  hills of Ballarat again plus a million years of oil in Bass Straight the likes of Andrews in 2045 will throw tax payers money away to keep the biggest game in town in town for ever and ever....get use to it....thats a song by the way,...."get use to it" "you better get use to it" and i take it as an insult being a Vic that you think Sydney play in an Australian nation wide comp.....i explained it to the breatheren here last year while you were in self imposed exile.....the interlopers from interstate joined the VFL. which stands for the Victorian Football League....got that? and from memory Eagles and Crows didnt care we were broke they were happy to fork out the 4 million each to join a broken down league.....called the VFL.....as Moses lead the Israelites through the Red Sea and wandered around the Sinai for 40 years so it came to pass that eventualy when they got there act to gether they found Israel... embarrassed a little after scoooping the pools with new clubs just dieing to join the VFL decided to rename themselves as the AFL to kinda apease the new lot who by the way were not complaining.....

Its fair to say that the AFL are somewhat democratic long the lines of the Cuban and Chinese goverments, to cut it off at the knees before it got to the throat the AFL was born and a few voting rights went north east and god knows where else.....the Business  heart of the Nation is Sydney and Melbourne.....mainly Melbourne, Victorians are known for coming out and suporting what evers going on unlike up where your a refugee from....so your argument about companies and sponsorships etc dont hold any beer woops i mean water....Im yet to hear any club Presidents complain about the GF and its location as well....

The VFL was broke and close to being screwed, i seen that inteview too......but they had a product......the product that everyone wanted in on.....the VFL had out grown suburban Melbourne but hey i loved them there days....Windy Hill......the mud pond in Morrabbin....the Western Oval.....so they went national...first by pushing a couple of clubs away then taking the money.....but there not running....every one has there hand in the pie Books......no one complained when Andrews put 500 million of Victorian tax payers money into the AFL coffers that the non Vic clubs get to touch....feel..... throw about and dream.....and part of it gets deposited into there accounts, if you were arguing this case on the telly you would be a sitting duck kid...."you better get use to it"

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

@TitusOReily

Can’t believe the Crows have broken the VFL’s rules

Titus O'Reily

@TitusOReily

Who's side are you on?

Eddie McGuire's

12.4%

Kane Cornes'

13.6%

Anyone else in the world

74.1%

3,192 votes · Final results

Frigging cheats.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

The VFL/AFL was kept alive by the cash injection from the Eagles when they joined the comp. Having a couple of interstate clubs join and keep the AFl heads above water at that time

All Victorian supporters should be getting down on their knees and kissing West Coast's <deleted>, rather than the petulant response of pretending that they don't need interstate clubs
Of 18 teams, 8 are outside Victoria. Almost at 50% of teams outside Victoria.

Of course there are emotionally invested supporters such as your self Uncle Alex who dislike change and want things to stay as they were in 1970s, but new people are born and generations change and the game, like any business, needs to expand to survive.

Your response to the AFL staying at the MCG is emotion based on past history and fear of missing out. The argument goes somethig like 'The AFL grand final has always been held at the MCG and people just have to get used to it!'.

You see UNcle Alex, the reason the AFL locked in the Grand Final at the MCG for the unprecedented length of time, was there was building commercial and fanbase pressure to have an interstate Grand Final. It was out of fear that the very poor commercial decision to lock in the grand final for 50 years was let pass, without any discussion in the public forum.

And that's where it will change in future. The game is supported in the main by TV/Media rights, and without that money the clubs might as well go back to having chook raffles to raise funds. 

Now, approx 50% of teams are outside Victoria and approx 75% of the population live outside Victoria. Add in Victoria is only about 3% of Australia's landmass. All in all, for any well run multinational/national business or media they dont want to be fixedly linked to being identified as solely a Victorian business; what better way to isolate a potential 75% of their customers!
And likewise, fans of the clubs, those same fans who support the 50% of interstate AFL clubs and who support the Media advertisers who are paying millions to advertise. That support is through buying the Kayo or Foxtel package, flicking on the television or radio, reading the news online about the AFL. 
And that's why the economics of the situation will see the game being moved away from the MCG as a grand final in the near future. The money the AFL makes is overwhelmingly reliant on non victorian residents, and their discontentment will flow onto pressure on the Advertisers/media providers, who will in turn pressure the AFL.
As you say, it's all about the money

Right to the very end..........Books is running on emotions........like that Jackson fella "Running on Empty" I use to like him....and I caught up with him on Spotify recently and you know what after what is it 50 years still sounds the same but on CD not some scratchy analog vinal record that your on....

Football is BUSINESS in capital letters and it runs on money......so if you have the product you have the money......Doesn't matter how the VFL survived, all good business models survive, just look at Virgin....Branson skimming 15 million every year off the books to carry his name....Well hes gonna be 15 million poorer this year when the new owners take over sell off half the jets and drop the Virgin name....still hes a billionaire and wont feel the loss off  money which is just like the VFL/AFL they WILL still be there long after Dees or North or Swans collapse in a pool of dept and go under....

No change will happen.....Victoria leades the nation in attracting events....you haven't noticed up there in your coconed environment? 500,000 million dollars was GIVEN to the AFL last year BOOKs....by the Victorian government and all 18 presidents gratefully accepted the MONEY an in return of the green stuff all 18 presidents where more than happy to sign over a contact for 50 odd years to keep playing the grand final at the home of Football which is the MCG a historic place for our game where Melbourne and Geelong first played back in 1856 0r 7 well the Dee cricket team played "ho I dont like cricket I love it" 10CC something like that...as a Sydneite you wouldnt know the intricates of how the game was formed...no it wasnt a native game fused with Irish football as some seem to think....no sir...it was born out of a desire by the Dee Cricket team to stay fit in winter, so they took up kicking a ball around a park which happened to be the MCG, for your entertainment kid the MCG is set in a big big park unlike anything you have ever seen, just a stone throw from Jolimont train station and the last station before you get into the city proper.....later the Pussy Cats cricket mob formed a team so every weekend the two would kick it around the MCG park to stay fit....something like that.........this is where Kate Bush's "Sensual World" comes in....feel that driving rhythm kid,.....

Dont know why you keep banging on about injections, keeping afloat broke, etc etc.....your missed the entire debate .....PRODUCT, we had it, Sydney didnt, WA didnt, SA didnt, Vic HAD IT......doesnt matter how we built it up doesn't matter why players from other states wanted to come here but its about MONEY, the Vic clubs were paying it out, local clubs were pulling up to 30,000 to games in the 70's on average  in the burbs fella in the burbs.....even as a Victorian only league Dee's and Pies pulled just over 90,000 to a home and away game and still a record fella.....that day were the Demons were embarrassed by Fitzroy 25,000 made it to Arctic park which is half way to Sydney.....I dont ever recall crowds under 20,000 until the interlopers joined up and in to get some of that cream....

The Victorian government is a savy beast.....like we dont have iron ore in the hills, we just a tichy place at the bottom of the planet....like Keating once said "<deleted> end of the world"  he was of course referring to the whole of Australia but its fair to say Tassie and Victoria are really at the <deleted> end of the world.... You can have your crocodile infested tropical waters at least I can go for a swim granted only in February  anywhere here and not get eaten alive since I live in a very up to date modern part of the country with all the mod cons....we have jets leaving for International travel all the time...well before and after Corvid-19 another thing we dont have here is like them serial killers and them killers riding around in the 4WD's in the outback the ones who like to get backpackers....we only get the deranged mowing down pedestrians in the city mall.....at least its in the open and daylight....for all to see.....No fella when its  around that time again the Victorian Gov WILL make an offer too good to refuse or should we say cannot refuse, Don Andrews WILL come out of retirement and lead the negations once again, if you haven't noticed hes big on giving away tax payers money....my money....Really I dont know how WA gets the nod for the State of Excitement....its really Victoria ......were more than just garden nomes here.....

By the way...if you decide to take up politics I wont vote for you, notice how you like one D Trump make assumptions based on what ever's floating around in your mind at the time that just is not possible....like..... And that's why the economics of the situation will see the game being moved away from the MCG as a grand final in the near future. The money the AFL makes is overwhelmingly reliant on non victorian residents, and their discontentment will flow onto pressure on the Advertisers/media providers, who will in turn pressure the AFL......... That sounds like the same idea Trump had about drinking disinfectant to fight off the Corvid-19.....just not reality.....Its time for you to listen to something else than Chill mate.....that meditation music is mushing up your senses, get some Stones on the platter...beef it up....one of my personal favs is "Jump" Van Halen...I often get that song played by the in house band if I can......Jump....might as well jump.....

Lyrics
I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real
Ah, can't you see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump
(Jump)
Might as well jump
Go ahead an' jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Ow oh, hey you
Who said that?
Baby, how you been?
You say you don't know
You won't know until you begin
So can't ya see me standing here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump
(Jump)
Go ahead and jump
Might as well jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Jump
Might as well jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Get it in, jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Jump
Jump
Jump
Jump
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Alex Van Halen / Edward Van Halen / David Roth
Jump lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc

One time a while ago when I use to get involved with the joke emails one questioner and one question was What song would you have played at your funeral....my answer was "Jump"......one of my lovely friends decided to quiz me on that....she a good salsa dancer I might add standing an inch taller than me...was left with a smile her face when I explained it to her....your not a woman so I assume I dont need to explain it to you hey kid?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Dont know why you keep banging on about injections, keeping afloat broke, etc etc.....your missed the entire debate .....PRODUCT, we had it, Sydney didnt, WA didnt, SA didnt, Vic HAD IT......doesnt matter how we built it up doesn't matter why players from other states wanted to come here but its about MONEY, the Vic clubs were paying it out, local clubs were pulling up to 30,000 to games in the 70's on average  in the burbs fella in the burbs.....even as a Victorian only league Dee's and Pies pulled just over 90,000 to a home and away game and still a record fella.....that day were the Demons were embarrassed by Fitzroy 25,000 made it to Arctic park which is half way to Sydney.....I dont ever recall crowds under 20,000 until the interlopers joined up and in to get some of that cream....

Your memory is fading with age Uncle ALex ???? 

Average team crowds have increased SINCE the AFL went national. 

The heyday of 1970 you refer to, no team was averaging more than 30,000 Home and away for the season. 

the VFA suburban games you speak of had a highest attendance of 22,000 then a 2nd highest attendance of 10,000! 

30,000 people turning up every week for a VFA suburban matches. my <deleted>! ???? ????

Home game wise the following teams were averaging less than 20,00 for home games
Hawthorn
Essendon
North Melbourne
Fitzroy
Footscray

1970VFA attendance.PNG

1971 attendances2.PNG

1971 Attendances.PNG

• Like 1

Tim Lane opens up on his 2002 fallout with Eddie McGuire, the fiery phone call and his one big regret

Tim Lane stands awkwardly in front of a packed studio at Channel 9’s Bendigo Street headquarters in Richmond.

It’s the second week of February, 2002, and the veteran ABC broadcaster has just been unveiled as one of the star recruits for Nine’s showpiece Friday night commentary team.

Kerry Packer, the network’s billionaire owner, has seized control of the AFL’s prized TV rights from arch rival Channel 7 and Lane is among the array of big-names being paraded at a gala season launch.

But Lane has a problem. A big one.

Moments earlier, the late Ian Johnson, the then interim chief executive of the Nine network, had introduced the evening’s master of ceremonies: “The man who will be the face of Nine footy and caller of all Friday night games, including Collingwood games, Eddie McGuire.”

Unbeknown to all but a few in the room, Lane had signed a contract specifically stating that McGuire, the Collingwood president, would stand aside from commentary duties for all Magpies matches.

Lane’s rationale for the clause was not so much that he believed McGuire would have a conflict of interest, but that he had one of his own as an ABC employee where he correctly anticipated it would become a hot topic for weekend football talk back callers.

He had agreed to juggle his new gig at Nine with his position as the ABC’s chief footballer caller.

“I felt a responsibility as an ABC broadcaster to be able to guarantee independent coverage of the issues that might appear on my radar,” Lane reflected this week.

“If I was to work alongside Eddie in the broadcast of Collingwood games, I felt my hands would be tied. If Eddie’s role became a talking point on ABC Radio, as was clearly foreseeable, I was the one who would have a conflict of interest.”

It was McGuire, the imperious host of Nine’s smash hit The Footy Show, who had first approached Lane about joining the commentary team in May 2001.

“A lingering cause of discomfort for me is that it was Eddie who first established contact on behalf of Nine, and I imagine it was his idea to invite me on board. We met and had coffee and he laid out the opportunity,” Lane said.

“Should I have asked Eddie there and then whether he was going to be involved, and to what extent? With hindsight, perhaps, but I didn’t have the benefit of hindsight in that meeting. It was an out-of-the-blue job offer and I wanted to give it careful consideration.”

At the end of that first meeting, McGuire told Lane that the negotiation should be conducted with Nine producer Cos Cardone.

Lane hired an agent, Isaac Apel, a lawyer who knew his way around the media landscape, then headed to England to cover the 2001 Ashes tour.

BACK in Melbourne two months later, Lane told Apel he was keen to call for Nine on Friday nights so long as the ABC remained his primary employer and the role didn’t conflict with the performance of his day job.

The ABC was initially uneasy about Lane entering into a commercial media arrangement, knocking back his request to do so, before the decision was overturned by then managing director Jonathan Shier.

Lane’s multi-year contract with Nine, signed in November 2001, included two specific clauses approved by network boss David Leckie.

The first was an assurance that McGuire would not call any Collingwood games alongside Lane. And the second was an exemption for Lane having to wear the station’s distinctive ‘Nine Dots’ on his blazer. All was agreed.

But the first hint of trouble emerged early in the new year after Leckie was replaced by McGuire’s great mate and mentor, Ian Johnson.

“I heard something that made me wonder whether the ground had shifted on the matter of Eddie’s role,” Lane recalled.

“I can’t remember now what it was, but it bothered me enough that I contacted Isaac. His discussions with the network caused him to be confident things remained as they were.

“The answer, when he got back to me, was a very definite ‘no, nothing has changed’.”

But quite clearly it had. Without consultation, Nine changed its mind.

When Johnson introduced McGuire at the season launch and announced that the Pies boss would be behind the microphone for all Collingwood games, Lane knew his instincts had been right.

“I wasn’t completely surprised, but I also felt sick,” he said.

“We left the stage to mix and mingle and right in front of me appeared Isaac, greeting me with the words: ‘We have a problem’.

“I could have just backed down and accepted what was before me — and pressure was put on me to do that — but I had to ask myself why it had been important to push for these conditions in the first place.

“There was now another imperative for me and that was to talk to Eddie. I wanted to explain the tide of events to him so he at least had a full understanding of my actions. But unfortunately, because it was now a legal matter, I had to accept Isaac’s instruction to sit fast and wait for Nine to act. My advice was to discuss the issue with no one beyond personal confidants.

“So, I waited. The pre-season competition started a few days after the launch, and I found myself calling my first game on Nine with Eddie.

“It was fun but, under the secretive circumstances, it was also excruciating.

“It wasn’t until the middle of the week prior to the start of the season that the go-ahead came. At that point I made the call to Eddie.”

He told McGuire he could not go back on the terms of his contract.

“Our conversation was convivial, and he encouraged me to give it some more thought and ring him back the following day,” Lane said.

“While I knew nothing would change in that time, perhaps foolishly I agreed to sleep on it.

“The second conversation took a different tone.

“When I told him my position was unchanged, Eddie was angry. The call — I was going to say ‘conversation’, but it was hardly that — lasted close to 50 minutes and my contribution was minimal. But it was done.”

EDDIE TEES OFF

THE story quickly got out.

“The day after my ‘departure’ from Nine was announced, Mike Sheahan wrote in this paper that I didn’t ever belong there and that on the night of the launch I looked as though I didn’t want to be there, or words to that effect. Perhaps he was right.”

A defiant McGuire hit the airwaves declaring he was angry his integrity had been called into question. He said he knew nothing of the clause in Lane’s contract.

“Nobody knew about it other than Tim and his manager and whoever did the contract,” McGuire said.

“My reputation and integrity is everything to me and to have that questioned is a bit of a blow.

“This is big time football — if you’re not 100 per cent committed to Channel 9 football, there’s no place for you.

“If Time Lane got his way, it would have meant Channel 9 would have had to dump me or I would have stepped down from Collingwood. Those are big calls and neither was going to happen.”

But Lane was ahead of the game. McGuire’s conflict of interest became a sore point for fans, who accused him of bias.

A 2004 report by Professor Jack Clancy at RMIT University found that McGuire made 18 pro-Collingwood calls about umpiring decisions during a match against Brisbane at the Gabba and no pro-Lions calls.

“McGuire is seeing the game as a supporter,” Prof Clancy declared.

“The trouble with that is it doesn’t fit in with the task of giving an objective call of the game.”

McGuire outright rejected it.

“Ask yourself this: Does a surgeon perform any differently when operating on a friend,” he declared.

“I detach myself when calling Collingwood games, despite what people say about a supposed conflict of interest.”

Opinion was divided, but Lane took a stand.

“I received a lot of public support, for which I was grateful: even if much of it was based on what I felt was the misinterpretation that I had ‘called out Eddie’,” he said.

“Clearly, the foisting of a club president’s description of his own team’s games on an audience was disrespectful. That was a matter on which the AFL should have been prepared to exert some influence.

“These telecasts were, after all, exclusive to one channel. But my action had more to do with the performance of my own job at the ABC.”

McGuire, of course, no longer commentates on Collingwood games. On reflection, Lane, who reached a confidential settlement with Nine, wishes he’d been clearer about his stand being more about his own conflict than Eddie’s.

“Seeing that front-page story again makes me cringe because the experience wasn’t a pleasant one,” he said.

“It created tension between Eddie and me which I don’t think either of us particularly enjoyed. It also caused me to feel antagonism towards some prominent media colleagues who went hard against me without fully understanding, or representing, my side of a complex story.

“Nevertheless, I take some responsibility for this. One thing I learnt from the experience was how important it is, in the face of a public controversy, to have your message distilled so it’s easily understood. And not to be diverted from it because the media at large have their own popular line.

“In this case, the popular angle was ‘Eddie’s conflict of interest’, and the day the story broke they were the words reporters wanted to hear from me. Amid the heat of being in an unfamiliar position, I fell for it.

“What I should have done was to better explain that my action was taken so I could avoid my own conflict of interest. Because that was the essence of the issue from my point of view.

“When I look back on it now, that simple response might have taken some of the heat out of the drama.

“But it’s probably fanciful to imagine it would have killed off the idea that ‘Lane was taking a stand against McGuire’s conflict of interest’.”

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Average team crowds have increased SINCE the AFL went national. 

The heyday of 1970 you refer to, no team was averaging more than 30,000 Home and away for the season. 

Lies, damn lies and statistics.   Comparing 1970's VFL crowds with modern times possibly needs to be examined in context with other raw data.     For example............

Melbourne population 1970: 2,499,000..............2020: 4,968,000

As Van Halen said,  "Go ahead and jump!!"????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics.   Comparing 1970's VFL crowds with modern times possibly needs to be examined in context with other raw data.     For example............

Melbourne population 1970: 2,499,000..............2020: 4,968,000

As Van Halen said,  "Go ahead and jump!!"????

Well, yes and no

Firstly i was answering Uncle Alex's assertion that suburban games were regularly drawing 30,000 crowds. INCORRECT!
Secondly, that the main VFL teams were also NOT averaging 30,000 crowds! INCORRECT!

So, the statistics provided are relevant and accurate for that

As for raw data, im not sure how it affects the numbers:
Taking into account that the sporting landscape of the 1970s was primarily Cricket and Football.  VFl in Victoria and League in NSW. There was no live TV showing of every game and no massive screens at home and in pubs and clubs.
There were more local grounds that were easy to access within the area, so less travel times, and the cost of going to the games was significantly less for individuals.

You can also take out 50% of the population as being regular attendees  - ie: females.

If anything i reckon its a fair enough comparison and illustrates a point that the AFL being national has increased its fan base and crowds

• Thanks 1

Saving football: New documents reveal how close the VFL came to shutting down

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/saving-football-new-documents-reveal-how-close-the-vfl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986."

"Victorian fans can thank Brisbane and West Coast - which joined the competition in 1987 - for effectively saving the league".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

This is awesome.

Six straight thrillers ensured West Coast and Sydney became footy's biggest rivalry in the mid-2000s

https://www.afl.com.au/news/432767/six-games-13-points-a-look-back-at-one-of-the-great-rivalries

What would happen today if we had Sydney and West coast GFs 2 years in a row and then the following three years a mixture of all interstate teams.
Social media gives an instant voice to fans saying "Hey, why the F! cant we see out teams play the GF at home?'!

PS. Looking forward to Sydney being Crowned 2006 champs. It will be devastating for Weagels fans I know, but cathartic also to leave that drug riddled period behind the club ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1