Senior policeman and wife die in smash with "drunk, argumentative and babbling" factory owner

webfact

35 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

better question would be,"What is a senior policeman doing driving a Suzuki"

That Suzuki was his wife's nice little runabout, his CLA45 AMG was back at home in their 3 car garage keeping his 2017  7 series BMW company for the evening.

I hope we don't see another "Boss" story. (The grandson of one of the founders of Red Bull who killed a motorcycle cop while speeding excessively in a very incapacitated state. But instead of facing charges, he was allowed to escape and hide out in Singapore after the victim's family was paid 3 million baht.)

Considering the victim's rank, and the fact that his wife (and possibly daughter) have also been killed, I'd think that he'll be dipping into his account for something closer to 10 million before being allowed to board a jet for a quick (one-way) trip somewhere.  

Then again, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise, and the a**hole will actually have to do a proper amount of prison time. 

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Why are people who point out the bleeding obvious, call apologists??

Drunken accidents happen all over the world FACT

Not as much in Thailand fact 

they give a shit about rules and regulations in traffic 

This hiso surely not care I am hiso 

Hopefully this time will end with long jail time 

RIP and recover well daughter sue this scumbag 

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But you posted it,right?

Which makes it complicit.

You understand that,right?

Denying any form of responsibility is de riguer if you live in Thailand,right?

Responsibility is an indidual concern.

Sorry to say but unless the situation is being pointed out to one individual by several people then it might have some effect. Only one person pointing out the same thing to three or four drunks who want to drive home will have zero effect.

The biggest problem is the I am rich and important combined with with no suitable punishent, financial and or custodial.

Looking at the wreckage I wondered if the occupants of the Suzuki were wearing seatbelts.  Head and other injuries suggests not.
Try looking at video, the driver's side was crushed and rescuers had to cut open the door go remove the victim. The car went up the bridge railings so I guessed the impact caused serious head trauma to the front passengers especially the driver.

17 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Correct thinking. Looks more like a 'parking' accident. Why doesn't people use them?

I once asked my Thai GF why the somtum lady didn't use the lights on her motorcycle cart 10-11pm at night after packing up (12year old son riding) answer, she doesn't want to use battery, battery expensive you know, OK. 

Somchai will immediately post bail and return home in another Merc.

Blood money will be paid to remaining members of the family.

Murder charges will obviously be dropped.

Other charges will fizzle out over time ,same as black panther poacher case.

No jail or maybe suspended sentence

Case closed.

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So you were complicit in a possible tragedy like the one that happened in this post !

You should have removed his keys from him and called a taxi to take him home!!

In Thailand, that would be regarded as loss of face to him. You do not call them on the rule of law if you still want to remain friends. It is an insult to their intelligence even though you are in the right. Once I was with the Thai chamber of commerce group of 12 people at an exhibition in Frankfurt. They took the subway and because there was no ticket attendant, they all did not buy a ticket. This from well to do Thais in responsible position of life. Speak volumes about their sense of right and wrong. I balked going anywhere with them after this incident. 

26 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Case closed.

This is thai style of dispensing justice. What had happened happened so no use crying over spilt milk. But will the prepatrator learn his lesson or will he just carry on doing the same until the next lesson which is some unfortunate guy. Karma at work? 

Does the offense of manslaughter exist in the Thai legal system?

Murder is about intent

Manslaughter is not caring about the consequences which seems a better fit here.

More people die from apathy than intent but it's important to separate them out.   Intent tends to be individual, apathy is societal.

23 hours ago, Ctkong said:

In Thailand, that would be regarded as loss of face to him. You do not call them on the rule of law if you still want to remain friends. It is an insult to their intelligence even though you are in the right. Once I was with the Thai chamber of commerce group of 12 people at an exhibition in Frankfurt. They took the subway and because there was no ticket attendant, they all did not buy a ticket. This from well to do Thais in responsible position of life. Speak volumes about their sense of right and wrong. I balked going anywhere with them after this incident. 

It had nothing to do with them not knowing the differance from right or wrong.  Being memebers of the TCC they consider themselves "better".  Therefore they fall into the Thai category of hiso so hence it was just them cheating the system ( not buying a ticket) as they consider , being hiso, they can do what they want, just like at home in Thailand.  To them "right" is not getting caught.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:31 AM, Lucius verus said:

Case closed.

You can't avoid a criminal charge with blood money. It just helps you get a lower sentence. For manslaughter, the sentence is usually reduced to a fine up to 20,000 baht if the offender has made restitution satisfactory to the victims or their families so it appears as though they just get away with it.

Pre-meditated murder however can only be punished with the death penalty, no amount of blood money will get him out of that if convicted. That being said I think the prosecutors are being overly ambitious by charging him with premeditated murder, they will not succeed with such a charge because this is clearly the case here.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, turgid said:

Does the offense of manslaughter exist in the Thai legal system?

Murder is about intent

Manslaughter is not caring about the consequences which seems a better fit here.

More people die from apathy than intent but it's important to separate them out.   Intent tends to be individual, apathy is societal.

Yes, but manslaughter has no minimum sentence, if they charge him with manslaughter he will probably be convicted and walk free. Maybe Thailand is starting to realise that that's not an acceptable outcome from a DUI-caused deaht.

Archived