TOPS says "No passport? No can pay phone bill. Or internet. Or electricity."

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I do all my bill payments through KBanking online. I have just run through making a new payment and I cannot find the PEA listed anywhere.

I know that I can pay through their app on my phone.

I went to the PEA website and it seems that I can pay by direct debit through KBank but the amount varies every month so that seems to be a bit tricky. Nor can I find the direct debit on my internet banking.

I will ring the KBank call centre tomorrow and see what they can come up with.

You guys are much more aware/ smarter than me!  I still find the idea of handing over money so much easier.

Cashless society? No thanks.

23 hours ago, stbkk said:

And yesterday I topped up again at Phrakhanong BTS, and of course no request for passport, id etc. just hand over the money. 

That's because the registration of your Rabbit card is a one-time job. You shouldn't be asked again.

Interesting, but normally, living on my own and with utility and other bills in my name, I have no problems at all. I was recently asked to show my passport but I only had my Thai Driving Licence which was accepted. Name, passport number and address are printed on my licence. 

I do all my bill payments through KBanking online. I have just run through making a new payment and I cannot find the PEA listed anywhere.

I know that I can pay through their app on my phone.

I went to the PEA website and it seems that I can pay by direct debit through KBank but the amount varies every month so that seems to be a bit tricky. Nor can I find the direct debit on my internet banking.

I will ring the KBank call centre tomorrow and see what they can come up with.
Get the mobile app (K+). This lists PEA.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:23 PM, jgarbo said:

My old Latin tutor always advised "romano vivito more" - (if in Rome) behave as a Roman. Works in Thailand, too. Carrying Western baggage here gets heavy.

I liked Rome, except for the atrocious food. Anyway, one thing to add about my TOPS encounter: I had already keyed in my SPOT card ID (phone number), so they already have my passport number and other personal details if the point of the exercise is to make sure the person paying cash is the person whose name is on the bill.

If one pays by debit or credit card then a passport check could possibly reduce fraud or satisfy legal requirements of the card issuer, but we're talking cash here. I know better than to apply logic to any Thailand situation, I'm simply trying to know if this case is just another farang-culling tactic.  

On 4/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, kenk24 said:

never had a problem using cash anywhere but even if declined at Tops you can still find a 7 somewhere... 

but not sure why you find a policy change to be a personal message of persecution..  

Some find resentments even when alternatives are available.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greeneking said:

You guys are much more aware/ smarter than me!  I still find the idea of handing over money so much easier.

Cashless society? No thanks.

haha, yea, cashless is supposed to make things quicker and easier, and back home it does; insert card and pin number and off you go. here it invariably takes longer; give card to cashier, cashier produces receipt and gives it to the customer, customer signs it and returns it to the cashier... pay by cash, quicker and more convenient.

18 minutes ago, samsensam said:

haha, yea, cashless is supposed to make things quicker and easier, and back home it does; insert card and pin number and off you go. here it invariably takes longer; give card to cashier, cashier produces receipt and gives it to the customer, customer signs it and returns it to the cashier... pay by cash, quicker and more convenient.

Bought blender today at Robinson's.  Couldn't have been quicker.  I used card. 

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

In Big C (Udon anyway) it now does work like it should: "insert card and pin number and off you go".

It's taken over a year since I first tried to use my replacement Thai debit card (chip & pin) and until Big C's merchant card readers were updated, but at least it does work now.

The use of the PIN number is great too - that stops fraudulent card transactions, as a thief/casual finder of a card won't have the PIN number, and there's now no signing of vouchers in Big C when using chip & pin cards.

Cash is the issue same with British banks. I cannot go into my ex wifes bank and pay cash into her account. (no you cant lol).....You need to pay into your own account first and then use online banking to send to her

First time it happened couple years ago I genuinely thought it was a wind up and I was looking for cameras all around.