UK Visit visa documents language

H All,

I need some advise and guidance.

I'm a Dutch national who lives long time in Thailand and i'm married for 17 years to my Thai wife.

She has a 5 year Schengen visa and now we want to go on a holiday to the UK for the first time. (First to the Netherlands and then to the UK)

I understood that she have to apply for the visit visa online ( https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/uk-visit-visa) and after this make a appointment at FVS Bangkok to submit the paperwork.

She should not have any issues with the requirements as i have a good job and a healthy bank account in Thailand with enough property etc.

But i don't know if the supporting documents (Marriage certificate, Bank statements, house books etc) have to be translated into English ?

Also how long and when does the visa is valid for as we maybe go back to the UK in September.

All information and advise is welcome ????

Standard visit visa is for 6 months   (there are 2 yr, 5 yr and 10 yr options).

Documents need to be translated into English.

You can apply up to 3 months before your travel and you must stipulate the date of entry that you require.

• Like 2

H All,

I need some advise and guidance.
I'm a Dutch national who lives long time in Thailand and i'm married for 17 years to my Thai wife.
She has a 5 year Schengen visa and now we want to go on a holiday to the UK for the first time. (First to the Netherlands and then to the UK)
I understood that she have to apply for the visit visa online ( https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/uk-visit-visa) and after this make a appointment at FVS Bangkok to submit the paperwork.
She should not have any issues with the requirements as i have a good job and a healthy bank account in Thailand with enough property etc.
But i don't know if the supporting documents (Marriage certificate, Bank statements, house books etc) have to be translated into English ?
Also how long and when does the visa is valid for as we maybe go back to the UK in September.
All information and advise is welcome [emoji846]

Had my wife's documents translated in English, her Blue Book, and Bank statement printed in English. Marriage certificate and my yellow book translated also.
Visa is for 6 month stay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Standard visit visa is for 6 months   (there are 2 yr, 5 yr and 10 yr options).

Documents need to be translated into English.

You can apply up to 3 months before your travel and you must stipulate the date of entry that you require.

Thanks for the information,

Are the requirements for the 2 year visa the same as the 6 months ?

I will write a supporting letter in which i can ask for a visa more then 6 months.

Also do the translation have to be notarised ? 

I will write a supporting letter in which i can ask for a visa more then 6 months.
Had the documents translated and certified at our local university in Chiang Mai, language department.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, merijn said:

Yes.

6 months or 2 years .... you cannot "ask for more".... you can try and extend in the UK but that costs an arm and a leg.

Look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/apply

Fees:-

X.Rate:          1.30          1.40        1.50

6m     $131     £100        £  94       £  87

2 Yr   $498      £380       £  355     £ 332

5 Yr   $903      £690       £  645     £ 602

10 Yr  $1135   £865       £  810     £ 757

8 hours ago, merijn said:

If you use a professional translation company they will date, stamp and sign the translation.

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That's not quite right. On my wife's first visit visa we didn't stipulate a date for the visa to start. (We were just happy to have got one having read about the terrible stories of others experiences). UKVI dated the visa to start on the day that they made the decision.

It meant that my girlfriend had to apply for another VV so she could come to the UK for Christmas. Had we specified the start date to be the day she actually travelled (1st July) she could have happily come here for Christmas on the the first visit visa.

It's better to specify a date but it's not required. But then UKVI will set an arbitrary date for entry to the UK.

Any document you rely on when applying for a visit visa needs to be translated into Thai. But you can be selective. For example, a birth certificate is not required.

You are better off applying for a six month visa for the first one imho. If you apply for a ten year VV which is pretty expensive but saves you schlepping to Bangkok over and over again, UKVI might only grant a 2 year or even a 6 month visa and they don't refund any money. If your wife hates the UK and you have paid a lot of cash for a 10 year VV it's waste of money.

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

6 months or 2 years .... you cannot "ask for more".... you can try and extend in the UK but that costs an arm and a leg.

It's not possible to extend a visit visa from within the UK.

Edited by rasg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rasg said:

If you use a professional translation company they will date, stamp and sign the translation.

That's not quite right. On my wife's first visit visa we didn't stipulate a date for the visa to start. (We were just happy to have got one having read about the terrible stories of others experiences). UKVI dated the visa to start on the day that they made the decision.

It meant that my girlfriend had to apply for another VV so she could come to the UK for Christmas. Had we specified the start date to be the day she actually travelled (1st July) she could have happily come here for Christmas on the the first visit visa.

It's better to specify a date but it's not required. But then UKVI will set an arbitrary date for entry to the UK.

Any document you rely on when applying for a visit visa needs to be translated into Thai. But you can be selective. For example, a birth certificate is not required.

You are better off applying for a six month visa for the first one imho. If you apply for a ten year VV which is pretty expensive but saves you schlepping to Bangkok over and over again, UKVI might only grant a 2 year or even a 6 month visa and they don't refund any money. If your wife hates the UK and you have paid a lot of cash for a 10 year VV it's waste of money.

It's not possible to extend a visit visa from within the UK.

Yes, apologies - you don't have to specify a date if such date is not important to you.

BUT, you do put an intended date of travel on the application and it is likely?? that an ECO will take note of that.

Edited by Jip99

Just now, Benroon said:

and be very firm on the date of entry you require - put it in uppercase or block writing - of the 4 I did I specified it three times and it was overlooked all three times - instead getting the date it was approved

I had that once when I asked for it be forward dated almost 3 months...... they ignored.

More recently I have always received the date requested.

In any event DO check the date because you cannot enter before that date. A friend had a situation where he didn't check (he was in the UK) and he booked flights for the intended date of 15 December....... an ECO had put 17th December so she missed that flight and to change the booking.

10 hours ago, merijn said:

... But i don't know if the supporting documents (Marriage certificate ....

Do you need to get your marriage cert attested by the Thai MFA before it can be used as a supporting document if you are married in Thailand? 

14 hours ago, post said:

Do you need to get your marriage cert attested by the Thai MFA before it can be used as a supporting document if you are married in Thailand? 

I'm married i Thailand and will translate the marriage certificate to English and get it notarised via the translation office.

I never heard of the need of getting it attested by the Thai MFA, I hope not as i don't have much time between the translation and the date i apply online for the visa.

In the support letter i will put the travel date in and request a 2 years visa so we can go later again.

If they only give a 6 months so be it.

Just now, merijn said:

Sorry but i forgot to ask another question.

How long does it normally take before the VISIT visa is issued ?

We have about 6 weeks from application to the date that we have to travel.

At VfS they will say 15 working days.

My last one recently was exactly that, a friend's was through in 10 working days.

• Thanks 1