No annual tax/registration sticker

naboo

I have a car with expired tax/registration in February. The car book is 700km away in Bangkok. I can buy the Por Ro Bor (compulsory) insurance as I have a scan/copy of the book, but I can't pay the tax/registration without the book.

I want to drive the car to Bangkok then tax it.

If I go to the local police station and "buy a fine", how long does this give me to get taxed?

If I get stopped on the highway and fined, how much is the fine and does it give me the rest of the day to get to Bangkok?

Thanks in advance.

The max fine if you are stopped is 500bht. They will give you a ticket, (just make sure they do) that will cover you for the rest of your trip. They might check if your licence is up to date and you have insurance. I wouldn't worry about the Por Ro Bor you will get that when you get the new tax.

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

You can Road Tax & CTPL ins the car at the DLT with a copy of your car blue book you don't need the book.

Also voluntary insurance is not usually valid if you do have your CTPL GOV compulsory insurance.

Edited by Kwasaki

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

The max fine if you are stopped is 500bht. They will give you a ticket, (just make sure they do) that will cover you for the rest of your trip. They might check if your licence is up to date and you have insurance. I wouldn't worry about the Por Ro Bor you will get that when you get the new tax.

Any ride used on the road must have the compulsory insurance, don't leave home without it. Can buy in insurance agents..

How old is the car?If the car does not need to be safety checked

then any one can walk in with the book and have the car taxed and insured.They can send you the new sticker and you can put it on, or maybe someone can send you the book and you can tax it where you are now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Any ride used on the road must have the compulsory insurance, don't leave home without it. Can buy in insurance agents..

Any ride used on the road must have Tax. And he doesn't have it. As long as he has good insurance he'll be fine. The insurance you get from the government is at best crap anyway. I think you'll find that if you have an accident the first thing they will want to see is your private insurance. No bugger wants to use the government one. As it doesn't cover you for anything. It's only there so at least you have some sort of insurance.

The one accident I have had wasn't my fault. The chap only had a licence no insurance or tax he got fined less than 600bt but he had to reimburse my insurance for any costs. All was done at the cop station no one cared about the lack of G/insurance. Or the fact that he didn't have tax.

We, my Taxi man and myself got stopped when he picked me up last time when I went to BKK. He had to pay 500bt for no tax they didn't want to see any of his other bit. I did ask and he said that as he didn't have tax he didn't have the compulsory G/one no one cared. He gets that at the same time as tax he told me. They didn't even asked to see his licence. He just got his ticket that lasted him for that day and we set off again.

Yes you should have all the correct thing but as it's not the end of the world why bother.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Any ride used on the road must have Tax. And he doesn't have it. As long as he has good insurance he'll be fine. The insurance you get from the government is at best crap anyway. I think you'll find that if you have an accident the first thing they will want to see is your private insurance. No bugger wants to use the government one. As it doesn't cover you for anything. It's only there so at least you have some sort of insurance.

The one accident I have had wasn't my fault. The chap only had a licence no insurance or tax he got fined less than 600bt but he had to reimburse my insurance for any costs. All was done at the cop station no one cared about the lack of G/insurance. Or the fact that he didn't have tax.

We, my Taxi man and myself got stopped when he picked me up last time when I went to BKK. He had to pay 500bt for no tax they didn't want to see any of his other bit. I did ask and he said that as he didn't have tax he didn't have the compulsory G/one no one cared. He gets that at the same time as tax he told me. They didn't even asked to see his licence. He just got his ticket that lasted him for that day and we set off again. Yes you should have all the correct thing but as it's not the end of the world why bother.

I don't think you understand my post...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

1 minute ago, transam said:

I think I do you said you MUST have the G/Ins. I said for one day why bother. Get it when you get your new tax. If you want to be correct you should have everything I always do as a non Thai. I don't think you even read all my post as I think I covered all of that. But as usual you have to be Mr correct.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BeibeiBKK said:

I need to get a safety certificate before going to the registration, my car is over 6 years old, anyone know how to search for the right garage in google map? any key word?

7 years old for a test...

2 minutes ago, BeibeiBKK said:

I need to get a safety certificate before going to the registration, my car is over 6 years old, anyone know how to search for the right garage in google map? any key word?

You can get that where you tax it, well at most places. But I'm sure that some bright spark will tell you I'm wrong yet again.

Thanks everyone.

I bought the Por Ro Bor with a copy of the book and took both documents to the police station. They "sold" me a fine for 200B for no tax. This is valid for 1 month. They said if I'd been caught on the road, the fine would have been 500B, valid for 1 day.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You can get that where you tax it, well at most places. But I'm sure that some bright spark will tell you I'm wrong yet again.

I think that you have covered yourself ... 'well at most places' ... really means 'can' or 'can not' ...

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I think that you have covered yourself ... 'well at most places' ... really means 'can' or 'can not' ...

I don't think his post covered for many others, it's all very well posting having good insurance, by this I mean our 1st voluntary insurance is in compliance only if the vehicle has CTPL, so if OP is out in the sticks he can get CTPL online and then get his test if needed then get his road tax disc.    

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't think his post covered for many others, it's all very well posting having good insurance, by this I mean our 1st voluntary insurance is in compliance only if the vehicle has CTPL, so if OP is out in the sticks he can get CTPL online and then get his test if needed then get his road tax disc.    

Um ... my sarcasam was clearly missed ....saying you can do it or maybe you can't do it is not worth much is it ....

• Haha 1