Folks In Singapore Can Chew Gum Again

A bit off-topic, but:

Folks In Singapore Can Chew Gum Again

SINGAPORE: -- Singapore residents can enjoy chewing gum once again, but stiff gum control measures are still in effect.

For the first time in 12 years, a ban on gum has been lifted by authorities in Singapore. But people who want to buy a pack have to submit their names and identification card numbers. If they don't, the pharmacist who sold them the pack could be thrown in jail for as long as two years.

Singapore, which is known for keeping its streets spotless, outlawed the manufacture, import and sale of chewing gum in 1992. The country's founding father had complained that the gum was fouling the streets, buildings, buses and subways.

Now that the ban has been lifted, Wrigley's Orbit gum is showing up in pharmacies, along with several other brands.

--AP 2004-05-27

One media report joked that you needed a "chewing licence", there may be a bit of truth in it though. :o

Drop it in the street when you've had enough, and off to Changi Prison I bet. Will they hang the nasty litterers I wonder ?

No demerit points on that licence Doc :D

People laugh about this chewing gum thing, but it is part of long-time effort to break the Chinese of the filthy spitting habit. If you have ever walked any street in any Chinese city then you will know what I mean and why the Singapore government has been trying for some 15 years to break people of it.

I don't think it has ever been illegal to chew gum in Singapore, you just couldn't sell it (or spit it out on the street).

TH

People laugh about this chewing gum thing, but it is part of long-time effort to break the Chinese of the filthy spitting habit. If you have ever walked any street in any Chinese city then you will know what I mean and why the Singapore government has been trying for some 15 years to break people of it.

I don't think it has ever been illegal to chew gum in Singapore, you just couldn't sell it (or spit it out on the street).

TH

or as a citizen or visitor, bring it into the Republic. A definite NO NO.

sound like a prison is more like it.

well it is a prison come to think about it.

Very typical statement from people that have never been there or only visited for a short time.

I think you will find few expats that have lived in Singapore for any length of time would agree with statement.

TH

Singapore reminds me of a military base.

Well, having been both in the US military and lived in Singapore I don't understand your statement at all. Singapore is nothing like any military base I was ever at.

But we digress from the thread topic and I don’t feel the need to support Singapore any more then my previous statements.

And to the best of my knowledge it was allowed to bring small amounts of chewing gum for personal use. Just don’t sell it or spit it out in public.

TH

Very typical statement from people that have never been there or only visited for a short time.

I think you will find few expats that have lived in Singapore for any length of time would agree with statement.

TH

have you ever try to blend in with the local, i guest most of the time you hanging around Orchid road right?

TH

have you ever try to blend in with the local, i guest most of the time you hanging around Orchid road right?

Well, that is exactly the type of comment I would expect. I do note there is no attempt to put any creditability in any negative statements just the usual remark mentioning Orchard Tower, which is probably the extent of their knowledge or experience in Singapore.

Few long-term expats in Singapore go to Orchard Tower, usually just on request from visiting friends or business contacts that insist on it. They all know there is far more to the Singapore nightlife. And yes, I did (and still do) have many Singaporean friends that showed me a whole other side the completely refutes the prison analogy.

Since the thread has descended to personal remarks and non-specific attacks on Singapore, there is not much point in further posting on the subject.

TH

its within your rights thaihome to explain that you like singapore..

the chewing gum issue is just a small part of the whole..

I really do not like singapore, it grates on me when I have to be there...

to me I can understand kiwis liking the place...cause it full of sheep!

:o

As far as I am aware it has never been illegal to chew gum in Singapore, only illegal to sell it.

I have lived for many years in Singapore and found it to be fantastic and yet at the same time stiffling, frustrating and I am glad to get to get out of there everytime.

SARS helped a little with the spitting problem, but the usual ignorant folks thought it was ok to continue as long as the police were not looking.

In a climate like Singapore's chewing gum is a bad idea.

To give this thread the license to be here, let me say that Thailand far outstrips Singapore. It is a pleasure to live the relaxed Thai life, but a struggle to live in Singapore.

Cheers