Small coins

To enable change when a %  mark-up may be added (for vat as an example) and its not a whole number, as that denomination is available its used.

I dare say in the fullness of time the smaller coins, as in other countries are phased out. 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I dare say in the fullness of time the smaller coins, as in other countries are phased out. 

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember 25 satang coins being taken out some years back and reinstated because of protests.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember 25 satang coins being taken out some years back and reinstated because of protests.

I think your right.

The other consideration is the mom&pop type stores in rural villages where they break packs down for poor farmers, kids etc to be able to buy things for very small money.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I think your right.

The other consideration is the mom&pop type stores in rural villages where they break packs down for poor farmers, kids etc to be able to buy things for very small money.

I have lived in rural areas for years no shops or market stalls take satang, the only ones I am aware of are Tops, Tesco 7-11,  etc.  transport NEVER,  Please posters tell me what you can buy for 1 baht,  have you ever seen any goods for sale for 25,50,or 75 satang.  The outcry was from CP Tesco,7-11.    every silly little bit extra adds up, theory.    The price of copper to make  and mint ??....Thai people do not have them in their pockets,  they put them in a jar until they have 20 baht and give them in at 7-11.

3 minutes ago, ginjag said:

I have lived in rural areas for years no shops or market stalls take satang, the only ones I am aware of are Tops, Tesco 7-11,  etc.  transport NEVER,  Please posters tell me what you can buy for 1 baht,  have you ever seen any goods for sale for 25,50,or 75 satang.  The outcry was from CP Tesco,7-11.    every silly little bit extra adds up, theory.    The price of copper to make  and mint ??....Thai people do not have them in their pockets,  they put them in a jar until they have 20 baht and give them in at 7-11.

As they also do in the likes of Big C and Makro, in my experience.

Just because someone else's experience is not the same as yours, doesnt make it wrong.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As they also do in the likes of Big C and Makro, in my experience.

Just because someone else's experience is not the same as yours, doesnt make it wrong.

Did remark 7-11 Tops, Tesco  and  ( ETC. )  Did not say you or anyone were wrong did I ??  merely pointing out the coins cost more to mint than the value of them.    If you people think satang is worth having why no go the whole hog and have a 5 satang coin.  Cannot see why posters are defending the useless coins.

2 hours ago, faraday said:

While we're on the subject of small coins - I know it's not Thai related ofc- but are there still 5p coins in the UK?

YES but that is irrelevant because you can spend a 5p on goods   you cannot spend 25 satang on a single item, the whole point of the topic.  that is the reason I asked can you name anything you can go and buy for 1 baht.  If not why then bother with the stupid worthless satang.   melted down it is worth more in value

Archived