Stop trying to bring Western ideals

Didnt know which forum to post this topic  in.

anyway its getting to the stage lately of listening to a lot of expat and tourist whingers wanting to make Thailand like just back home in their Country.

Expats down in Pattaya are whinging about sidewalks/ foothpaths being uneven.

another expat is out picking up rubbish on the beach.

The stories go on, i moved to Thailand because im sick of all this politically correct rubbish and i dont want it moving to Thailand as well !!!

stop trying to change another system, if you come here to retire ,to live then stop trying to change things to be politically correct.

Im getting away from this Western system where women are offended  in the workplace etc by being called “ darling” etc 

Pattaya is another example of people bringing their ideals over and i have witnessed it with 2 week tourists and even long term retirees being homophobic to other farangs.

Some even go to Pattaya and are disgusted at the bars , i overheard a group pf young British backpacker girls on the baht bus saying out loud how disgusting these old men were, then dont come here !

as my old boss used to say . If you dont like it....leave !!!

stop trying to change things , i like Thailand the way it is, unfortunately now politically correctness has been creeping  in re the no smoking rules etc and mire rules and rules , all thus has been caused by whining farangs 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are you tell others what to think about Thailand?

You moved to Thailand the same as thousands of others.

You don't get to choose what moves to Thailand.

You either except all the good and bad or move on.

Just because you like it the way it is, doesn't mean everyone else will

I think the sanitizing of Thailand is ruining the experience so I moved on.

All the complaining in the world is not going to get things your own way.

It's Thailand. Same Same But Different.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Western Toilets are good

You've obviously never been to York City F.C. (Kit Kat stadium) visitors end toilets. The worst toilets in the world. No crappers either, just urinals, so guess where people take a crap.

16 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Stop the even foothpaths, we dont need them

One of my first experiences in Thailand when I got here eight years ago was a woman lying face-down in the soi a block from my home, who had been walking along the side of the road (in that little indentation that runs along the side of the road that Thais think is a gutter) and got smacked in the back of the head by a passing truck's side-view mirror.  Somebody eventually brought out a sheet to cover the body, but the blood soaked into the sheet and somehow made the scene even more grisly.

Yeah, no sidewalks needed.  Right.  

Your dealing with the expat which is a complex creature. Most posts are crying about Thailand not matching 1st world standards then as soon as their is some progress they all want to move to Cambodia or Laos for 3rd world charm ????

The day anything changes here just because a bunch of Farangs whine about it will be the day that a flock of flying pigs will be spotted doing loop the loops over Pattaya's now (presumably) lovely clean beaches. Nobody really cares what we think which is why our only option is to vent our frustrations on TVF, in a politically correct manner of course.

11 minutes ago, fishtank said:

How about the Thai driving standards?

Should we not criticise those either?

Mine are worse. I was once prosecuted for 40 motoring offences at one magistrates sitting in the UK. 

Thai driving standards are just my cup of tea, I feel at home here.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Im getting away from this Western system where women are offended  in the workplace etc by being called “ darling” etc

I think a lot of Thai personnel departments would want to have a word with you if you ran around calling women "darling" in the workplace as well. Please don't try to dismiss enlightened employment practices as "political correctness."

48 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm sure an even footpath is not done for political correctness ????

Did you notice that the OP placed his footpath comment and the political correctness comment in two different paragraphs? That means two different thoughts.

51 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Stop the even foothpaths, we dont need them,

Totally agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sprained ankle or falling down an uncovered drain. People will complain about anything.

I use to love being politically incorrect in Thailand then I went back home and went for a walk along our beaches in Australia; wasn’t getting hassled from traffic or vendors and didn’t need to pay for a beach chair. Free Water fountains along the beach, free showers and I said to myself this trip, why the hell did I leave. You cannot claim what those British Backpacker girls said was untrue - Thailand is a mass of old men with young women and you cannot be in denial about that! 

Its just about common sense but sadly, Thailand at times lacks a lot of that. I remember my brother in law getting a contract to make a foot path but then got a phone call telling him not to show up for work. The big boss of the company was supposed to make a foot path around the project he was currently building but instead pocketed the money and scrapped the foot path. That’s the mentality we are up against. Most certainly politically incorrect.

I doubt that anyone (even in the West) is about to call in HR for a man constantly referring to women as 'darling' - unless they also show their dismissive attitude in other ways.

But even so, I also find it annoying when Westerners enjoy certain parts of living in Thailand, but complain about other parts that they dislike.

We CHOSE to live here, with all it's faults.

Complaining on TV is fair enough, as it's not about to influence anyone - but does allow us to get our gripes off our chest ????.

i overheard a group pf young British backpacker girls on the baht bus saying out loud how disgusting these old men were

That's the moment to pat your tilac on her ass below her mini skirt and smile at those backpackers. ???? 

Im getting away from this Western system where women are offended  in the workplace etc by being called “ darling”

Exactly. I'm bored to death being called hansum man by women 'workers' here.

On my first visit to Thailand, I found the foot paths, with contingent liabilities galore, abhorrent. Immediately, I commented to my new Thai gf about our 5' wide, unobstructed, smooth, wheel chair friendly sidewalks in Canada. But as soon as I said it, I realized that I was sounding too much like the immigrants that were aplenty in my youth. How well I remember them saying "how much better things were in the old country." To that I used to think "then why are you here".

Those sidewalks (paths) no longer bother me, nor do many other Thai traits. TIT is now how I view our differences. Seldom ever do I voice my opinion about "the old country". I just adapt and be happy.

stop trying to change things , i like Thailand the way it is

I love Thailand too, it keeps "Georgia on My Mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIp9TwSEgFg

Archived