Stop trying to bring Western ideals

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many foreigners move to Thailand because they don't want to meet the higher standards overseas. In Thailand people don't try very hard and are satisfied with lower standards in just about everything - uneven sidewalks, video-game style driving, poor workmanship in just about everything some of which are life-threatening (electricity for example), service standards, corrupt officials. I could go on, and on. Some foreigners find they fit in better with that.

The OP is resentful of foreigners who are used to higher standards and are frustrated with what they find in Thailand and say so. It takes a long time to know a country properly, certainly longer than a few months, but I moved here because my wife was more comfortable being closer to her family, even though she appreciated the higher standards and cooler weather in the UK. It took her a while to get used to the first, and if not the first then certainly the second, car stopping for her to cross the road though! ???? Just part of the You First instead of Me First culture there.

I would personally now much prefer to be elsewhere now that I know what a s*ithole Thailand really is. I suffer from being a bit of a perfectionist, so Thailand is the last place I should be. But that is the price I pay for having a good wife of nearly 30 years standing.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many foreigners move to Thailand because they don't want to meet the higher standards overseas. In Thailand people don't try very hard and are satisfied with lower standards in just about everything - uneven sidewalks, video-game style driving, poor workmanship in just about everything some of which are life-threatening (electricity for example), service standards, corrupt officials. I could go on, and on. Some foreigners find they fit in better with that.

The OP is resentful of foreigners who are used to higher standards and are frustrated with what they find in Thailand and say so. It takes a long time to know a country properly, certainly longer than a few months, but I moved here because my wife was more comfortable being closer to her family, even though she appreciated the higher standards and cooler weather in the UK. It took her a while to get used to the first, and if not the first then certainly the second, car stopping for her to cross the road though! ???? Just part of the You First instead of Me First culture there.

I would personally now much prefer to be elsewhere now that I know what a s*ithole Thailand really is. I suffer from being a bit of a perfectionist, so Thailand is the last place I should be. But that is the price I pay for having a good wife of nearly 30 years standing.

Political standards about the same (Trump and Brexit) and medical standards higher here (in my experience). Bum guns, mean higher butt clean standards here.  Rice is better here.  Women nicer here.  Lady boys smaller here - Days big in Texas.  Less bums here and less people pooping in the street than SF.  Close to perfect weather if you likes it hot.  I don't see many homeless people here - bunches of them at home.  Close to a perfect tax system here for me.  Noodle standard much better here - lots of variety.  Not so many people telling me what to do here and no one avoiding eye contact.  Nice motor scooters here.  I like scooters.

No one messing with me is important as I'm a recluse. 

I think it depends on what standards are important to you.  Some people need more standards than other people.  I don't need many.  Clean butts and a large variety of rice do me just fine. 

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Confess I always look for PTT stations when driving around Thailand as I am assured of finding a "politically correct" toilet. Ha!

???? Oh yes!    The Navigator in the Tuna boat is set to display PTTs on the moving map.  Wife's eyeballs can be floating into the back of her skull, 12k to the next PTT on the map. 

- "Hon, here's a Lemongrass/Texaco/Shell, you want I should stop?"

- "No, I can wait, keep going!"

If only you could see the picture your post paints of you in the minds of others...

Not smoking in public is being respectful to those you share your immediate environment with. Smoking in public means you’re low class with an addiction you don’t have the discipline to quit.

Conversations about sidewalks have nothing to do with political correctness. 

I can see why you’re here...and in Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Political standards about the same (Trump and Brexit) and medical standards higher here (in my experience). Bum guns, mean higher butt clean standards here.  Rice is better here.  Women nicer here.  Lady boys smaller here - Days big in Texas.  Less bums here and less people pooping in the street than SF.  Close to perfect weather if you likes it hot.  I don't see many homeless people here - bunches of them at home.  Close to a perfect tax system here for me.  Noodle standard much better here - lots of variety.  Not so many people telling me what to do here and no one avoiding eye contact.  Nice motor scooters here.  I like scooters.

No one messing with me is important as I'm a recluse. 

I think it depends on what standards are important to you.  Some people need more standards than other people.  I don't need many.  Clean butts and a large variety of rice do me just fine. 

Doesn't take much to scratch away the thin veneer of civilization, and living "rough" in some parts of Thailand..... It's not exigent circumstances but can reveal what you're really made of, and how many trappings from your former life you actually don't "need". 

Fascinated about the precarious line between civilized and primitive behavior.  1st world US for example, say a Cat5 hurricane blows a town off the map.   Folks are good for a few days, a week at best.  Once they realize Jesus, or the Gubmit, ain't comin' over the horizon anytime soon, well, civilized discipline goes right out the window.   Eventually Mr. Nice Guy will shove a 12 gauge shotgun in your face for a few gallons of gasoline and a 6-pack of bottled drinking water. 

Oh never mind the storm scenario.  I just remembered Black Friday.  ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZWdxIxEro

On 21 April 2019 at 9:12 AM, fishtank said:

How about the Thai driving standards?

Should we not criticise those either?

Many farangs that have been here a long while have gone native and drive to the Thai driving standards....just saying. To

On 4/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, BritManToo said:

I view it as the only way forward.

Let's put white folk first for a change, after all, we invented modern civilisation and almost everything in it.

Not quite politically correct, are you? I'm reminded of the Scottish engineer, surveying the wreck of a Land Rover that had been rolled by an Egyptian, who didn't understand one doesn't hit the brakes when there's a tyre blowout. He said to me " I've always said it's a mistake to give them cars, when we've only just finished teaching them how to ride bicycles".

On 4/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, Nyezhov said:

Actually I found them to be the same as Thai toilets. Rough interiors. Susceptible to skid marks. Western toilets are smoother and have better sliding surface so as to eli!minate those dried stickums that are so much of a hassle as you are trying to get ready and clean house for a monthly date.

Do I have to keep educating you? Sigh. Bum guns have more than one function. Skid marks are easily eliminated by judicious use of a bum gun. Try thinking outside the square.

You can also use them for teeth flossing if you are not squeamish.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do I have to keep educating you? Sigh. Bum guns have more than one function. Skid marks are easily eliminated by judicious use of a bum gun. Try thinking outside the square.

You can also use them for teeth flossing if you are not squeamish.

Dude get real, trying  to get a dried turd off one of these crappy asian porcelin toilets (I dont think they polish them before glazing, or maybe the glazing is crap) is like Sisysphus and his big fooooglin rock. I tried hitting the remnants with the bum gun once and just splattered the walls. So I has to strip naked and spurt pink stinky cleanser everywhere and wash the whole Throne Room off. This is serious dudes, dont think Im kidding or maybe you have been in Thailand too long, but a nice japanese Toto or a first quality US can is smooth enough to ice skate inside. Old brownie just sliiiiiiiiiiides down into sewer oblivion. Not happening in Thailand. You need to fight that thing down, and it leaves memories.

Its not that bad if its just you, but once a month or so I had to gag up and clean it for possible paid for guests, why, I dont know, good ebough for me uncleaned......

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude get real, trying  to get a dried turd off one of these crappy asian porcelin toilets (I dont think they polish them before glazing, or maybe the glazing is crap) is like Sisysphus and his big fooooglin rock. I tried hitting the remnants with the bum gun once and just splattered the walls. So I has to strip naked and spurt pink stinky cleanser everywhere and wash the whole Throne Room off. This is serious dudes, dont think Im kidding or maybe you have been in Thailand too long, but a nice japanese Toto or a first quality US can is smooth enough to ice skate inside. Old brownie just sliiiiiiiiiiides down into sewer oblivion. Not happening in Thailand. You need to fight that thing down, and it leaves memories.

Its not that bad if its just you, but once a month or so I had to gag up and clean it for possible paid for guests, why, I dont know, good ebough for me uncleaned......

Shit comment.

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

My Thai toilet is different. Smooth as a baby's bum. Skiddies don't even stick the first time round. One short flush and you could eat your dinner out of my toilet bowl. Just returned from 2 weeks in the UK and had to scrub away with one of those yukky, unhygienic toilet brushes every morning. Never used one in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My Thai toilet is different. Smooth as a baby's bum. Skiddies don't even stick the first time round. One short flush and you could eat your dinner out of my toilet bowl. Just returned from 2 weeks in the UK and had to scrub away with one of those yukky, unhygienic toilet brushes every morning. Never used one in Thailand.

Well I got to disagree with you. Ive pitched in a whole bunch of Thai toilets and universally, they are clingon magnets depending of course on texture and volume, although I must say that the toilets in the Raddison Blu Plaza lobby near Phrom Pong are superb..correct height, width and drain volume as well as smooth. 

I wouldnt think that the UK has good crappers anyway, but to admit that Thai toilets are better shows how low Albion has sunk.

23 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Goddammit, is your alcohol consumption killing your few remaining brain cells? You sure aren't Vanamonde.

How does a dried turd figure? The bum gun flushes the moist skid mark off. Allowing to dry is gross.

I am wondering where you are encountering these crappy Asian porcelain toilets. In Chiang Mai, most of the toilets have a brand on them: "American Standard". Yeah, I know, CM is for geriatrics. At least we have decent glazing.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

most of the toilets have a brand on them: "American Standard".

Those are the ones they sell at Home Depot her for $59. Lumpenproletariat toilets. My crowd does Totos. My well formed yet manly butt checks are too sophisticated to use American Standards here.

What do you know anyway, they don't even have flushers in the outback do they....

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well I got to disagree with you. Ive pitched in a whole bunch of Thai toilets and universally, they are clingon magnets depending of course on texture and volume, although I must say that the toilets in the Raddison Blu Plaza lobby near Phrom Pong are superb..correct height, width and drain volume as well as smooth. 

I wouldnt think that the UK has good crappers anyway, but to admit that Thai toilets are better shows how low Albion has sunk.

Sir Thomas Harrington, courtier to QE1, invented the flush toilet, long before the USA was invented. 1592.

Another Englishman, "Crapper's my name, crapppers are my game", later upgraded it to the bog we know today.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Those are the ones they sell at Home Depot her for $59. Lumpenproletariat toilets. My crowd does Totos. My well formed yet manly butt checks are too sophisticated to use American Standards here.

What do you know anyway, they don't even have flushers in the outback do they....

I have experienced the full gamut, including the toilets of Shay Gap. Thai toilets are the pinnacle of civilisation. Of course, lard asses may find the transition problematical.

38 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Buy cheap you get cheap.

My crapper's a Toto and it gleams like snot on the schitt house wall whatever gets hurled in its direction.

Anything in America should be used to being full of sheiiite by now. ????

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have experienced the full gamut, including the toilets of Shay Gap. Thai toilets are the pinnacle of civilisation. Of course, lard asses may find the transition problematical.

Both my toilets are "Karat" as used by the Thai royal household. World beaters.

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Both my toilets are "Karat" as used by the Thai royal household. World beaters.

Yeah well they dont put world beaters in Thonburi condos or Khlong Toei apartments. I dont care about hotels, even if there are more skidmarks than in a Pit area at Lemans, thats what maids are for.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess you've never been to Japan. I went once and the toilet in my hotel looked a bit like R2-D2. Took me a while to figure it out. But once I did, it was like a Road to Damarcus moment. 

On 4/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Having spent 3 months on life support because of a speeding intoxicate driver, and undergone too many surgical procedures, and several months in rehab learning to read, write and walk again, it changes your perspective on driving standards

Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day.

While globally 49% of road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists), it is 83% in Thailand including 73% among motorcyclists or 48 per day. Additionally Thailand loses 3 to 5 % of its GDP due to road traffic crashes.

That’s no good. 

Driving fast when drunk is very irresponsible.

Best thing to do is stay off the motorbikes in Thailand.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, PatOngo said:

Totally agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sprained ankle or falling down an uncovered drain. People will complain about anything.

Sprained ankles, falling down drains, getting decapitated by passing trucks' side view mirrors...a small price to pay for freedom from the nanny state, the PC Police, etc. ????

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In other words you have changed but Thailand hasn't really changed a bit.

Archived