Dashcam recommedations?

Orton Rd

2 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Don't skimp on price for quality, Dash cam will help save your life in Thailand, your visa, and assets.  When deciding think big picture and quality.

I don't see how a Dash-cam could help save your life (if you are referring to accident prevention), unless you are referencing to life as in lifestyle when you mentioned visa an assets, in which case I agree with you. 

If price is not an issue get the best possible Dash-cam you can get your hands on for....

- Reliability (especially in heat)

- Range of Vision (forward range and Rear)

- Quality of Recording (4k)

- Lens Quality (different from quality of recording - 4k of blurred vision is still 4K !)

- Functions - Records to Cloud? (evidence / cam stollen in an accident - recording disappears)

- Ease of use

- GPS function (maybe necessary in court - but could also hamper you if you are speeding etc)

- Low light sensitivity (recording quality in the dark)

- Contrast sensitivity (to headlights / traveling into shadow etc)

First and foremost any dash-cam is better than none and for the Fence Sitters who don't want to spend much money the Xiaomi Yi is an excellent option as are others. But for others who want the assurance of higher range cameras, their choices may be different for 'preservation of lifestyle' reasons given extreme circumstances. 

I would normally steer clear of anything made in China but after reading the reviews and watching the videos on youtube, I decided to give it a shot (since the price was right).

I didn't expect it to last very long but it seems pretty sturdy and might stand the test of time.  I haven't seen very many reports of failures other than a few new ones which were factory defects and replaced buy the sellers free of charge.

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

You have to steer clear of the cheaper ones it seems as they say Chinese menu, the 2000k + ones appear to be English versions

Right, get the black and gray model, the older ones are blonde or cream colored I believe and yes I paid about 2k baht.  I also bought one for my father in law's truck at the same time and set it up for him and his is still working fine too.

7 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I would normally steer clear of anything made in China but after reading the reviews and watching the videos on youtube, I decided to give it a shot (since the price was right).

I didn't expect it to last very long but it seems pretty sturdy and might stand the test of time.  I haven't seen very many reports of failures other than a few new ones which were factory defects and replaced buy the sellers free of charge.

i thought most things were made in China these days , ive been looking to buy swimming pool lights i can only find china crap on internet. if any one know where i can buy non china lights drop me a line pls.

19 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Most useful information here, though I may go for the cheap one.
Seems to me they’re all let down by have power leads dangling around......hard to make them neat.
Anyone used one that’s built into the rear view mirror?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

YouTube has excellent videos on reviews, installation and how to hide the wires. I have bought several of the cheaper, rear view mirror clip-on cameras and all have stopped working. Lesson learned. I bought a Rexing V1P+ a while back in the US and installed it when I returned to Thailand. A superior camera in my opinion. Research and read customer reviews is my suggestion.

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You have to steer clear of the cheaper ones it seems as they say Chinese menu, the 2000k + ones appear to be English versions

I got my Chinese one with English version for 349THB on Lazada, that included the delivery fee. It still works 11 months later and saved me over 1500THB on the insurance renewal.

2 hours ago, myshem said:

Great to repeat what all the idiots also say without having even tried.

I have 3 cars with 3 dashcam with batteries, and I also use powerbanks in car that sit under the sun.

You know what ? 5 years already ad nothing broke ! Incredible !

This is what I call talking about what you know and not repeating the usual stupid nonsense written everywhere.

If you have not checked to see your 3 dashcams are actually functioning OK, you may be in for a surprise if somethings happens and you  try to get the video file.

In some ways I agree with you, there's no reason to spend huge $$$ on dash cams, there are many that are reliable and functional under $100.

I'm a trucker in the US and have used dashcams for the last 600,000 miles or so.

I do get some free cams from the manufacturers and distributors to use, review, or abuse.

I  WOULD NOT willingly buy a battery equipped cam at this point.

(They're free to send me free ones if they want)

I have a Yi, I like it, have used it in Thailand for a few trips in rental cars.    The batteries do die at some point and the camera may seem to  be functioning ok until you go to check that important file you need of the motorbike running a stop sign and into you.

(THe battery or capacitor are solely there to allow the last file to be saved as the power is cut off)

A cheaper camera that is worth looking into is the Blueskysea B1W,  $45 USD or so.   Small, has smartphone app,   and a capacitor.    The only thing I didn't like was the recorded audio on the earliest production batch, which may have been fixed, but the VIDEO was good for the $$$.

A number of posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Archived