Relocating to Vietnam ?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What I meant was that your statics and road deaths in Thailand and Vietnam doesnt show that Thai roads are more dangerous than Vietnamese roads .

If you get hit by a motorbike , you probably wouldnt die and thus wouldnt be counted as a road fatality .

What are the motorbike accident statistics for Thailand and Vietnam ?

Look I don't like to argue leave it at that we can sit here all night

and argue I am not a person who likes to do that just accept

what I think and I accept yours

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

Look I don't like to argue leave it at that we can sit here all night

and argue I am not a person who likes to do that just accept

what I think and I accept yours

Have you been to both Thailand and Vietnam , thus giving you a valid opinion about the situation ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Have you been to both Thailand and Vietnam , thus giving you a valid opinion about the situation ? 

yes I lived in Thailand for many years and in Vietnam for a few I lived in Laos as well

but not for very long and I visited China many times I been all over Europe I am not a newbie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes I lived in Thailand for many years and in Vietnam for a few I lived in Laos as well

but not for very long and I visited China many times I been all over Europe I am not a newbie

OK, disregarding road fatalities , because they mostly involve cars and trucks , IMO , you are far more likely to come into collision with a motorbike in Vietnam than you are in Thailand .

As many of the streets in Vietnam are unwalkable ,  you often have to walk on the road and driving standards in Vietnam are much worser than in Thailand and there reason why there are more road fatalities in Thailand is because there are more cars and thus more deaths because car accidents have more facilitates than motorcycle accidents 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Isn't there still some kind of law in Vietnam making it illegal for a foreigner to stay overnight in the same place with a Vietnamese woman other than his wife???  Doesn't that crimp the recreational activities a bit?

Here's what I was thinking of above:

You Technically Can’t Hook Up with a Local

This might sound like something right out of an old school “How to Be a Proper Asian” guidebook – which may or may not exist – but it’s actually against the law to engage in a non-marital sexual relationship and cohabitation with a Vietnamese citizen if you are a foreigner. Of course, this might come across as a major paradox if you consider the dodgy happenings right out of Bui Vien. The good news is: the authorities are not that bothered by it these days.

If you decide to take your relationship to the next level by getting married or having kids, make sure you get permission from the Vietnamese authorities. Any children born in Vietnam to unmarried parents cannot have the father’s name on the birth certificate.

https://www.citypassguide.com/en/living/ho-chi-minh-city/real-estate/blog/20-vietnamese-laws-every-expat-should-know

2. Re: Hotel rules for engaged Vietnam lady and me from US-Saigon
Nov 1, 2010, 3:37 AM

While you can get away with it in mini hotels and sometimes 3 star hotels anything above and you really are in the land of the unknown. Only in the mini hotels have I not had a problem or when on a tour, even staying in 4 star hotels. But booked separately it's quite often a no go area. Yes, she could visit during the day but stay after 10pm. No chance!

As the following shows on various booking sites i.e. hotel.com when dealing with Vietnamese hotels (Sheraton in this case) hotels.com/ho208411/… and the same also from A&EM Corp tripotic.com/AEM-Corp-Le-Prince-Hotel-Ho-Chi…

Notifications:

Under Vietnamese law, a guest who is not a Vietnamese citizen cannot share a room with a Vietnamese citizen without proof of marriage to each other. Otherwise, a second room must be booked.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k4025971-Hotel_rules_for_engaged_Vietnam_lady_and_me_from_US_Saigon-Vietnam.html

Just how often this rule is enforced seems to be a bit of an open question, though clearly it has created problems for various people at various times in various places.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK, disregarding road fatalities , because they mostly involve cars and trucks , IMO , you are far more likely to come into collision with a motorbike in Vietnam than you are in Thailand .

As many of the streets in Vietnam are unwalkable ,  you often have to walk on the road and driving standards in Vietnam are much worser than in Thailand and there reason why there are more road fatalities in Thailand is because there are more cars and thus more deaths because car accidents have more facilitates than motorcycle accidents 

I thought we finish, it is to late for me to search for all the details

1 minute ago, IraqRon said:

just returned from da nang, hoi an, wei, and sai gon. in d a, did not see any grotty rest., plenty of convenience stores, atms, no motor cycles driving wrong way, just walk and they miss you. never saw one accident, but yes they park on sidewalks, as do thais.  wide streets clean, lots of roundabouts where traffic flows , not like thailand.  hotels cleaner, better fitted and serviced than thai ones in same price range.  in hoi an, of course lots of tourist, many of which were viet and chinese.  in short, i have to think your post is bs to the max.

I was talking solely about Danang , There were just a handful of 7/11 Style convince stores , if you stayed by the beach , you may not have seen any grotty restaurants , because everything is new in that area , but there were many grotty restaurants in the city .

I did see numerous motorbikes speeding going on the wrong side of the road , dont know how you couldnt have seen any .

Although Thais do indeed park they bikes on the streets , it happens to a greater extent in Vietnam , some streets are like car parks and there is also many other things cluttering up the streets , meaning that you cannot walk along the streets .

There were some big wide roads , I didnt say that there wasnt , but these roads were even more difficult to cross , due to bikes speeding , going the wrong way and not always stopping at red lights .

A photo taken last week in Hoi An

DSCF3609.JPG

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There you go , a photo taken of a motorcycle accident last week in Danang

Saigon is a very cosmopolitan city. There you go a photo of a cosmopolitan friend in Saigon.

20180128_075355.thumb.jpg.21dad5ec6e21e5b01184af6f58be2c03.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

Next time in Hanoi I would look for a hotel near the lake where traffic and noises are lesser and it would be easier to find a large supermarket

Check the area around St Joseph's. It's 5 minutes walk west of the lake and plenty going on around there at night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

road fatalities in Vietnam is about 24 Thailand 36

Is that per hour, per day or per month?

Yeah the motorcycle driving patterns in Vietnam are not very pleasant to deal with, but other than that is is a very attractive country.

Just now, ballpoint said:

I've been travelling to Vietnam for work and pleasure fairly regularly since the late 80's, and did an extended assignment there from 2006 - 2010, where I alternated 4 weeks working in VungTau and 4 weeks home in Thailand for 3 years, followed by the same in HCMC for 2.  Since then I've worked a week or 2 there every 2 - 3 months.  It's a nice place for a holiday, and I enjoyed travelling there for work, but I wouldn't want to live there full time.  The infrastructure is far poorer than Thailand, and these days many Thai provincial cities are better equipped for "western living" than even HCMC is.  Of course, some may find that a benefit, but anyone making a decision on where to relocate to based on a short holiday needs to take a step back and reconsider their decision.  (And that goes for anywhere, not just Vietnam).

This is really true and you can add places like Da Nang, Hoi An etc....really lovely for a couple of days but what are you going to do after that? Most people I know love the break from HCM but realize that the stay in the outer areas is a break and not a great place for many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

DSCF3634.JPG

The hat and pouty lips remind me of Maria Schneider (gone too soon...) in "Last Tango in Paris."  A second career as fashion photographer or a portraiturist awaits (if it wasn't your first already.) Basically the ability to evoke beauty from just a few essentials (white skin, red lips, hat strategically adorned...) Something a man can hang up in his living room and fantasize - without invoking the wife's wrath...

Re eye contact when crossing the street in VN, I remember several instances I had to do that with (mostly) VNmese (car)drivers when crossing the streets in Little Saigon, California. Their eye contact means something else, an acknowledgement that you, the one on foot, realize the impact of metal upon flesh, therefore that tactic of a second is the time allotted you (in my case as a visitor) to literally jump out of the path of a coming car, no matter I was stepping inside the zebra markings of a pedestrian crosswalk. Then I started noticing something else, the local papers would post one or two pedestrian fatalities every other day. Usually it involved a senior, probably someone who was too slow or too weak to save themselves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IraqRon said:

just returned from da nang, hoi an, wei, and sai gon. in d a, did not see any grotty rest., plenty of convenience stores, atms, no motor cycles driving wrong way, just walk and they miss you. never saw one accident, but yes they park on sidewalks, as do thais.  wide streets clean, lots of roundabouts where traffic flows , not like thailand.  hotels cleaner, better fitted and serviced than thai ones in same price range.  in hoi an, of course lots of tourist, many of which were viet and chinese.  in short, i have to think your post is bs to the max.

coming from Iraq anything would be a major improvement. You sure you were in Vietnam? Thats the total opposite of my experience

• Like 1