CAT To Shut Down Telegraph Service

george

CAT to shut down telegraph service

BANGKOK: -- CAT asks NTC to shut down telegraph service CAT Telecom has requested permission from the national telecom regulator to shut down its loss-making telegraph business. National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) secretary-general Suranan Wongvithayakamjorn said the NTC had yet to grant the request, pending CAT's submission of real service demand.

He added that the regulator had asked CAT to survey accurate service demand, especially in remote areas, and submit the data to the NTC for consideration.

-- The Nation 2007-03-06

You may laugh but back in '94 a colleague was trying to do some urgent business involving his bank back in the UK. They wouldn't accept facsimile (obviously), hard copy mail would have been too slow and e mail + scanning hadn't been invented. What they would accept was someithing like a notarised or authorised (can't remember the term) telex.

Now came the problem. Who the hel_l still used telex as a means of communication? Our office was entirely fax or original hardcopy mail. Eventually he tracked down a telex machine in a Pattaya back street office covered is a dust sheet and piles of paper. They had to dig out the instruction manual just to find out how to use the machine as no one in the office had ever used it or even knew what the hel_l it was.

My current project uses fax for all communications between client, us PMC team and the contractor.

6 :o

By coincidence, last week, a Thai friend of mine and I were discussing what people did before the cell phone appeared. I mentioned my in-laws waiting 8 years for a second phone line. He shouted TELEGAP! :o And then explained how it was used, etc.

I think I don't even know a single person who has ever used the telegraph, including my parents :D

Surely the money saved could improve Thailand's internet service.