Heads up

jamden

My annual visa was due and I did not want or have the funds as required by Immigration so I decided on a holiday with my wife and 2 kids by car to Laos (Savannaket).

The drive took 13 hours (I'm 73 years old) and 900kms, I actually enjoyed the leisurely drive, we arrived at Savannaket at 4pm and checked into Pilgrims Kitchen where the rooms were clean (not cheap at 800Baht a night) and the food was very good, the staff speak English and very pleasant.

The next morning went to Thai consulate and handed in all the papers for my multiple entry visa based on Marriage at 5000Baht, no bank book or statement was asked for, it took about 1 hour including 45 min wait for the doors to open, and told to come back the next day at 2pm.

Went back for my visa and again about an hour wait for doors to open, but it was very hot during the wait as there is no shade so need to have water and an umbrella next time.

Spent a couple of days touring the area visiting temples and a museum, had lunch overlooking the Makong river and about 5 min walk from the hotel is a night market with all sorts of food to choose from.

Headed back to Thailand and made 3 hotel breaks on the drive home.

Overall it was an enjoyable week but would do it again.

29/04/2019

8 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

So getting your marriage visa this way: does this mean you have to leave the country, do a mae sai run every 3months?

And, is it a one year extension same as before?

Not an extension.

It is a 12m multiple entry Non-Immigrant 'O' visa based on marriage.

Border runs, or exit country, every 90 days.

Archived