Most Thai laborers expect 400 baht minimum wage from new government: Bangkok Poll

webfact

3 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

This will be Good news for all the Cambodian Mymar and Other e Foreign people who do most of the Building and hard work in Thailand,

They have special deals which may include food and board check with your local labor office about migrant workers. 

18 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

and I quote this because the food cost the same as in the west

Rent costs 90% less.  Which is the largest budget expenditure?  50% of Thailand are farm workers and grow their own food is this the same in Australia?  I think it's about 2% in Australia. 

35 minutes ago, nong38 said:

You only have to look at the steady rise of fuel at the pumps to see it and that affects everything no matter what Governments want to tell you the real cost of living is rising and a rise for workers will also be passed on. A lot of those workers will ay they will be getting the new rate as well, they will have a choice of course, carry on as now or get a new job and when you are approaching the magic 40 years there is no option, no alternative job.

I can remember 10 years ago fuel prices where high 45baht /lt and inflation did take off, my lunchtime bowl of noddles went up twice in a few weeks, diesel prices did come down but petrol /gasohol remained high, that is why diesel is cheaper than petrol, helps to control inflation.

If the minimum wage does go up to 400 baht a lot of factory workers will lose out ,we have two big food factories near here one killing pigs one killing chickens ,it is the overtime that makes up the wages ,that over time will be stopped ,or at least reduced ,so in the end the workers will be taking home less than before.

And the factories will employ more Cambodian and Burmese workers, so the Thai workers will lose out.

Before the last election, one party said it will raise the minimum wage to 400 baht /day, one Thai economist said ok but a bowl of noodles will then cost 100 baht, may be a bit over the top, but you knew what he meant. 

1 minute ago, kickstart said:

I can remember 10 years ago fuel prices where high 45baht /lt and inflation did take off, my lunchtime bowl of noddles went up twice in a few weeks, diesel prices did come down but petrol /gasohol remained high, that is why diesel is cheaper than petrol, helps to control inflation.

If the minimum wage does go up to 400 baht a lot of factory workers will lose out ,we have two big food factories near here one killing pigs one killing chickens ,it is the overtime that makes up the wages ,that over time will be stopped ,or at least reduced ,so in the end the workers will be taking home less than before.

And the factories will employ more Cambodian and Burmese workers, so the Thai workers will lose out.

Before the last election, one party said it will raise the minimum wage to 400 baht /day, one Thai economist said ok but a bowl of noodles will then cost 100 baht, may be a bit over the top, but you knew what he meant. 

Given the benefits that are mandated for foreign migrant workers is it more or less economic to hire a minimum wage Thai or Burmese? 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Given the benefits that are mandated for foreign migrant workers is it more or less economic to hire a minimum wage Thai or Burmese? 

Ok in factories ,you could well be right ,so why do they employ so many migrant workers ,can not get the Thai workers ,I know our local pig factory all the killing is done by Cambodians 16000 baht/month, 4-5  days off a month, Thais do not like that job  even our local electronic factory .making parts for mobile phones and computers, have migrant workers ,and as has been said migrant workers ,working in shops or small businesses will get paid less,

Migrant workers in our area working on dairy, pig, chicken farms will get the minimum wage but with free housing, water, electric, and most will get a 15kg bag of rice a month, maybe not such a bad deal.

2 hours ago, connda said:

What a nice man you are!!! 

Ours get 500 THB / day. 

Hahahaha, was waiting for a comment like that... I have nothing to do with our staff, it's my wife who employs them and sets the wages.. The staff like working for her, she's fair and treats them well but 300 is the going rate apparently !! I guess your staff must be happy as too ??

18 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Exactly.. Our 4 staff get 300 baht/day... 

That's an elderly chef, 2 waitresses and a general helper girl.

They are happy with that and my wife gives them bonuses depending on how things are going.

All 4 are unqualified and I think would be struggling to get work ?

They're happy that they have employment but I bet they'd be overjoyed with a pay rise!!

300 baht per day and they wonder why people fall into debt by borrowing from loan sharks!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They're happy that they have employment but I bet they'd be overjoyed with a pay rise!!

300 baht per day and they wonder why people fall into debt by borrowing from loan sharks!

I'm sure they will get pay rises as the business grows... 

My wife employs 3 staff at her restaurant, 2 teachers for her private tutoring business and 1 girl who does all odd jobs around the property.

That's 6 families being fed every day..

People fall into debt around my way because of gambling habits or drink/drug problems, I'm not supporting that !!

Edited by cornishcarlos

15 hours ago, nong38 said:

No more productivity and just fueling the inflation spiral.

This would be a bad move for the farming community, which at times employs 20% of the workforce.

Farming is hard enough as it is. Pushing the daily rate up to 400 from 300 baht, would be devastating for many.

In Isaan, the average debt of a farmer's family is about 500k baht.

Sharing the immense wealth of the country, more fairly and equally, should be a urgent priority.

What about no minimum wage and let the market decide based on supply and demand. Countries that have no minimum wage seem the most prosperous and low unemployment. Allow workers to unionize and let them negotiate a fair wage.