Britain's opposition Labour sticks to second Brexit referendum stance

webfact

9 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

They will back a third and fourth referendum and so on until they get a result they’re happy with. 

More aimed at getting into power than respecting democracy.

The Europeans are so fed, fed and FED up with the British, they should be happy to be allowed a second referendum to withdraw art 50. and not trown out 29 March or 14 April.

I presume because Merkel does not want to tell the German care makers they lost the British market nor Rutte the Dutch Agricultural exporters to UK for the same. Ands now, the British are not locked up on their Island ( no application yet for a Schengen visa) to go on holidays in Europe.

We know now, how much a signature of the British governement is worth, see the Good Friday Agreement: NOTHING ! 

I agree with you, especially your last sentence.
But it seems there are still many millions of people in the UK who dream about unicorns.
If labor would speak out clearly against the Brexiters then I guess they would lose a lot of voters.
And a party needs voters...
I have a strong opinion about Brexit and I know what I think Labor should do. But there are other people who think the exact opposite. It must be hard for a politician to make a decision with which you will anger lots to people who used to vote for you.
If you cannot stand the kitchen heat..leave the kitchen..easy

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

At least the UK is NOT a subsidy junkie EU member state

Thanks to the British export to and import from ( why to buy from ? because  better and /or cheaper !) it is a small commission to pay to be member.

Second: a LOT of things are now done together. To mention a few: Is the UK able to hold up the same food, toy, sports, electric articles and medicine safety as now inside the EU with EFSA and RASFF resp. EMA ( or even not an Idea, what that stands for ? ) ? 

net contribution countries EU.png

Thanks to the British export to and import from ( why to buy from ? because  better and /or cheaper !) it is a small commission to pay to be member.
Second: a LOT of things are now done together. To mention a few: Is the UK able to hold up the same food, toy, sports, electric articles and medicine safety as now inside the EU with EFSA and RASFF resp. EMA ( or even not an Idea, what that stands for ? ) ? 
392791535_netcontributioncountriesEU.png.04194b1333981441f41005c2daa25ef9.png
Do you HONESTLY want yo lose the 5 EYES INFO that could possibly SAVE LIVES of innocent people?????

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But it seems there are still many millions of people in the UK who dream about unicorns.

If labor would speak out clearly against the Brexiters then I guess they would lose a lot of voters.

I have a strong opinion about Brexit and I know what I think Labor should do. But there are other people who think the exact opposite. It must be hard for a politician to make a decision with which you will anger lots to people who used to vote for you.

As result of the British voting system since the Middleages, in which the one with the most votes in a constituency gets the seat the main parties are very afraid just to loose a few % of the voters, as can be the difference between the seat or nothing.  Not the interest of the nation has the priority, but the interests of the party.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In reply to:-

2 hours ago,  Baerboxer said: 

Not quite democracy. The National Executive Committee of the Labor Party, which fully backs Corbyn, decided on this. It wasn't put to partly members as you claim.

They are still playing politics. Trying to be all to everyone to win votes. A soft Brexit, which they'll claim they came up with not the government; or a GE in which they hope to do better and maybe even return to government although lord knows what they'd do to get a coalition; or as a last resort go for a second referendum and play the "let the people decide" card.

Hardly decisive leadership putting the country first!

"The National Executive Committee of the Labor Party, which fully backs Corbyn". Well exactly, the NEC has been packed with Corbynistas in the Stalinist purge that got rid of many of the party's best MPs, or a least restricted them from any access to power. Like Corbyn's politburo, they represent only the far left, and are in danger of loosing any general election, which the Tories will never let happen anyway. The Labour Party members overwhelmingly back a 2nd referendum, and their leaders, who claim to listen to them,  have spat in their members faces, so much for democracy. One MP said the other day said he had lost 500 local members because of the LP spinelessness on this issue, not lost Brexiteers,  but lost Remainers. Corbyn cannot change, he is too stupid and wedded to his sad out of date 1970s ideology.

Corbyn is the best friend the Brexit movement ever had. 

"If labor would speak out clearly against the Brexiters then I guess they would lose a lot of voters." Actually this is not necessarily the case, though a favourite argument from Corbyn et al. The voters they have lost to the Brexit camp, have mainly gone already. Surveys I have read suggest that the Labour Party would actually gain votes , if they came out for A 2ND referendum.

9 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

If you're not going to honour a referendum, why call for a referendum? 

but this is why we have advisory referendums in the UK, they don't have to be honoured

20 minutes ago, tebee said:

but this is why we have advisory referendums in the UK, they don't have to be honoured

But it's a good point. 

However those holding such referenda (classy writing, there) should refrain from making promises not theirs to keep. Hence the mess we are in now...

• Like 2

The problem with a vote like Brexit, is that it's not like voting in an election. In an election you can vote one way, and then, should you wish, vote another way in a few years. With Brexit, once you're out, you're out. There is no going back. Now that the country has a better understanding of the possible outcomes, why not have another vote? Nothing to be afraid of unless you worry you're going to lose.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

When was the last time a referendum result was not honoured?

probably the Swiss one to restrict FOM

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

When was the last time a referendum result was not honoured?

An advisory referendum is being honored by taking into consideration the result. 

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

There would - albeit not much from the remainers who rely on stupid/uneducated etc. etc. as their 'arguments'....

Calling out people for stupid things they say is not derogatory. Everyone is free to <deleted> when he lacks the knowledge or education. 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

"If labor would speak out clearly against the Brexiters then I guess they would lose a lot of voters."

I had to search way back in this thread to find a post that actually addresses the topic - "Labour sticks to 2nd referendum Brexit stance".

Interestingly the Times (A left wing fantasy magazine in the opinion of terminal nutters) said this.

"Far from Haemorrhaging support to the Brexit party, Labour is loosing many more voters to pro-European parties like the Greens and Change UK. Party members are said to be resigning every day in protest at the Labour leaders equivocation on Europe." (Rachel Sylvester)

Edited by Nigel Garvie
omission

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.  Please be aware of this part of the forum rules:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

No deal is the way to go..then a ge..then watch the fun..brexit party AND ukip mp's.
All the fun at the fair to come I think.
Now then will evita aka treesa the appeeesa still be pm in 4 weeks time..as tories get s kicking in both council and mep elections.
Answers on a postcard please.cheers

It will be a second referendum, brexit doesn't happen, fresh election, hung parliament, red faces, demonstrations, back to normal, laughing stock.

24 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

No deal is the way to go..then a ge..then watch the fun..brexit party AND ukip mp's.
All the fun at the fair to come I think.
Now then will evita aka treesa the appeeesa still be pm in 4 weeks time..as tories get s kicking in both council and mep elections.
Answers on a postcard please.cheers

the more you drink the further away from reality you get,the brexit party and Ukip would be better off joining forces but they are not singing from the same hymn sheet,maybe tommy should lend them his ????????????   

UK local elections_ Ukip support melts away in Kent heartland _ Financial Times.html

Edited by bomber

the more you drink the further away from reality you get,the brexit party and Ukip would be better off joining forces but they are not singing from the same hymn sheet,maybe tommy should lend them his [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]   
UK local elections_ Ukip support melts away in Kent heartland _ Financial Times.html
Some of us Brexiteers do not have your drinking habits...old boy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Some of us Brexiteers do not have your drinking habits...old boy

if you drink less than me you would barely drink at all,somehow i very much doubt that,alcohol is a scottish way of life,the sovereign govt did have to tax it higher to try curb the problem,enough said

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bomber said:

if you drink less than me you would barely drink at all,somehow i very much doubt that,alcohol is a scottish way of life,the sovereign govt did have to tax it higher to try curb the problem,enough said

Not totally wrong, but not really accurate. Tax on booze is not universally higher in Scotland than rUK. It is just that there is a minimum pricing law that is designed to stop supermarkets using booze as a loss leader, where cans of lager are often cheaper than spring water for the same fluid volume. 

AS our health minister said about increased drinking:-

"There can be little doubt that this is largely a consequence of the big fall in alcohol’s relative price, which has dropped 70 per cent since 1980. Significantly, we now buy two-thirds of our alcohol from supermarkets and shops, rather than in pubs and clubs. In these contexts, alcohol is frequently sold as a ‘loss leader’, with heavily discounted deals and pocket-money prices the norm."

Scotland does drink more than rUK but less than ROI. It is still some way from Europes drinking hotspots like Lithuania, and even according to what I read Germany. 

The Romans did report on the Celts enthusiam for getting bluttered when they traded with them up the Rhone. However the idea that people in the so called "Celtic" nations are overwhelmingly Celtic from a DNA point of view is bulls#it. Language remnants (Welsh is still significant) yes, inheritance no.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:49 AM, welovesundaysatspace said:

An advisory referendum is being honored by taking into consideration the result. 

Calling out people for stupid things they say is not derogatory. Everyone is free to <deleted> when he lacks the knowledge or education. 

So parliament considered the Leave result of the referendum, then enacted legislation to invoke Article 50 and another one to Withdraw from the EU. Actually honouring the result will be when we Leave. Anything less is ignoring the referendum and the current legislation.

Contrary your preference, in the UK everyone is free to voice their opinion about government obfuscation. That's everyone - no special knowledge or education is necessary, in fact sometimes that's better. (Ref: H.C. Andersen - The Emperor's New Clothes) This is because the UK has, for hundreds of years and to date, always been a democratic institution. What in your country's constitution restricts voicing opinion to a particular section of society? Does it also give you special privilege to comment on UK political affairs over the opinions of a UK national?   

• Like 1