Video: Death of a Thai biker - clocked at 264 kmph

webfact

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

in university i rode a honda cbx, 6 cylinders. great bike for then. really never went very fast as i wanted to make it to exams in one piece. big bikes feel safe and comfortable and have good braking ability.

the yamaha the thai died on looks like a street legal racing bike. 998cc and 200 hp

I hit 260 35 years ago on a mofified Kawa.. no big deal... young punks want do it, and die.. life cycle always has been

Going 260 is imo not the cause, bikes like this one can accelerate to this speed in seconds. I guess he didn’t know this road and he should have inspected the whole stretch before attempting such high speed. He was with friends, and he was driving a superbike, I can’t imagine having such bike and not using a small part of the huge potential. Very sad he lost his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I went 160 kph on my Kawasaki 650 with my Thai girlfriend on the back. 

That's only 100mph, no big deal. The difference is most Europeans have had leassons or at the very least passed a test. I took my Z1000 up to 155mph once, in the UK though, on a known, straight road, no interesections, no road works and virtually no traffic. I won't do it again though. It is just too fast.

• Like 2

That kind of speed is for a Race Track, not an open public road.

Sadly, with the upsurge in these 2 wheel missiles on the roads over the last few years, this guys death will not be the last ( or fastest )

Verdict - Suicide. Thankfully he did not take anybody else with him.

A large part of riding a big bike is not only the handling skills required but the mental skills such as intelligence, maturity and situational awareness. In other words assessing the environment before opening the tap. Limiting risk is also another significant part. In this case the guy had decided to take on the other two, he achieved the overtake but then persisted rather than tapping off once he had got ahead thereby exposing himself to greater risk. I would imagine that ego had a large part to ply in the poor lads demise as it does in many accidents around the world not just Thailands roads. Put that in the social maturity column. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, z42 said:

Idiot. Got what he deserved and never took anyone innocent with him.

Hope the video serves as a lesson / deterrent to any other deadhead wannabes hell bent on doing the same

he didn't deserve it, because from the video it looks like he didn't endanger anyone, but he certainly gambled for as much as he paid in the end.

he had not seen many folks get wiped out at 250 kph.  nor had he read much about such things.

for many of us, unless we can see or experience something with our senses and then recall it, such as in the middle of the night,  we don't "learn" it.... we can very easily deny what to some of us is absolutely nuts.  I was looking for a "big bike" at Impact a few weeks ago, but didn't consider anything larger than a 400 cc engine.  as for wondering how or why anyone would buy something bigger than that.... which was a really obvious consideration looking at any of the other stuff on display there..... I just didn't, and still don't see any reason at all for my mind to even bother going there. 

when I watch this and read some of the posts, I am left with not much of anything to think about other than that it is sad story for the dude, he's gone while still young.  nada else.

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow that is fast. mine was cool as a cucumber at 160. 

I knew a 20 year old bar girl who loved to get on my bike and it was impossible to go fast enough for her.

We would go between Hua Hin and Cha Am in 14 minutes.

But that was when I was 60 and now at 64 I have grown up a bit and realized how dangerous that was.

Youthful exuberance.

19 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That road appears to be really bumpy! High velocity will exaggerate the bumps. It looks like he got thrown off balance by one when he slowed down and then veered off the road. 

Plus he must have hit the brake which is totally wrong in such a situation. Maybe accelerating would have done the trick, but we'll never find that out. He died for what he loved to do and didn't hit anybody else. There were three bumps, enough reasons to slow down a bit. RIP. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone who does 264kph on any Thai road is taking an enormous chance. Just recently, a good friend of mine, who was a motorcycle racer many years ago, and a highly skilled rider, had a dog run right out in front on him, on a scooter, while doing only 40KPH. There was nothing he could do to avoid this stupid mutt. He suffered some nasty injuries. Broken collar bone, five broken ribs, etc. 

The only way to survive on these roads is to avoid taking big chances.

Wow, that must have been a first. A dog on a scooter only doing 40kph.

Does that rear tire look a little 'smooth'?

He wasn't a risk to anyone?   He couldn't keep the damn thing on a straight road!

He could easily kill somebody on foot, a bike, or motorbike, and we know in thailand they seem to pop up anywhere, from any direction.  (Or a dog)

5 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

Does that rear tire look a little 'smooth'?

He wasn't a risk to anyone?   He couldn't keep the damn thing on a straight road!

He could easily kill somebody on foot, a bike, or motorbike, and we know in thailand they seem to pop up anywhere, from any direction.  (Or a dog)

it wasn't a wet road, so effectively riding on Slicks.   Only really need a Tread if you need to expel water...

Yes, never rains in thailand.    ????

I used to run a sportbike messageboard, and lead group rides in the mountains in the US.

I pretty much stopped the group rides since too many people showed up with bikes they couldn't handle, and didn't have much sense.

The place for high powered bikes is on a track, and track skills don't really transfer well to public roads.

• Thanks 1