I am currently on an Education Visa for studying Thai that lasts a year. My Edu. Visa expires on May 10th., however due to pure stupidity I was unable to book an appointment at the Laos embassy in Vientiane until May 16th. This appointment would be to apply for a new Edu. Visa in order to study Chinese instead. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated so much. Thank you for your time. 

I assume you mean your current permit to stay ends on May 10th not your visas expiration date.

You can apply for an extension at immigration, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

• Like 1

Here's where it might getting interesting - if your current extension of stay is still valid Immigration may refuse an extension, even 7 days, without the extension of stay being canceled formerly. 

Source - they did it to me end of 2017. 

My extension of stay ended Jan 1 - due to the costs of flights my ticket was Jan. 6. Applied a couple of days prior to the new year, was told I needed paperwork for the school to cancel the extension of stay on the ED visa.

Not that I recommend it but in the end I just overstayed six days and paid the fine. I tried to do the right thing but Immigration wanted none of it. 

• Like 1

Yes -

8 hours ago, lordblackader said:

the extension of stay being canceled formerly. 

Get a letter from your school to do this, and have it dated the day your current permitted-stay expires.

If they will not do this, and if CW won't give you the 7 days, to to Laos early, and spend a week there.  Overstaying is a bad idea in the current climate.

Alternatively, see if your school can get you different paperwork for the Savannakhet, Laos consulate, which does not have an appointment system.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...