New Passport US Embassy, How Long Will It Take?

My passport is filling up and I am thinking about getting a new one at the US Embassy in Bangkok before my next extension of stay. 

Anyone have experience with this process? Just wondering how long it really takes. 

Thanks.

Around 10 days...or that is how long it took when the wife and I got our US passport renewed a couple years ago...we renewed at separate times about a year apart.   You can either have them email you to come to the embassy to pickup the new passport or when applying you can tell them to just mail it to you.

• Like 2

Around 10 days...or that is how long it took when the wife and I got our US passport renewed a couple years ago...we renewed at separate times about a year apart.   You can either have them email you to come to the embassy to pickup the new passport or when applying you can tell them to just mail it to you.

I did mine in October (before the change to mail-delivery only) and it took exactly 11 days. They gave me a date-stamped “return pick up” slip and it was ready at the consular building on that day exactly.

As far as how long in the consular building to apply? I think from the moment I walked in (based on my early AM appointment time) to the moment I walked outside, I think it was less than :45 or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

Neighbor renewed last month. 

New passport + Imm. letter arrived via mail - only option now - 15 calendar days after the appointment, that included some Thai and U.S. holidays I beleive.

Passport cards (optional) supposedly take a bit longer. No clue if they hold the new PP, and then mail both together once the PPC arrives? Or if you have to purchase two Thai post envelopes at the Embassy? Found this: If you request a Passport Card it will take 6-8 weeks to be delivered to you in Thailand.  You will also need to purchase two return envelopes (see instructions below), one for the Passport Book and one for the Passport Card.  If you provide payment for only one envelope, we will hold the Passport Book until the Passport Card arrives and mail them both to you at the same time.

Mail in service, if you qualify, says it takes three weeks, and your passport is out of your possession.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/passport-by-mail-service-adult-renew/

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Please carefully review all the below information as failure to do so could result in a delay of your renewal:

All full-validity passport applications received by U.S. Embassy Bangkok are electronically forwarded to the United States for processing and printing. It takes two-weeks for a full-validity passport to be processed, printed and then mailed to the Embassy. There are NO “expediting services” overseas.

The Passport Retrieval Process Has Changed! – Beginning 1 July 2018:

Passport Return by Thai Post Registered Mail:
Your new passport will be sent to your mailing address in Thailand through registered mail. ACS will cancel your current passport at the time of application and return it to you.

At your appointment you will be given instructions to purchase an envelope from the on-site Thai Post kiosk. Your envelope will cost 100THB and your receipt will contain an individual tracking number. You will retain your current passport which will be cancelled and no longer valid for international travel.

Your approved application will be electronically forwarded to the United States. Processing and printing can take up to two-weeks (10-14 days). Your new passport is then mailed to U.S. Embassy Bangkok.

Once your new passport arrives at the Embassy it will be mailed to you in the pre-purchased Thai Post envelope along with a letter for you to provide Thai Immigration to transfer your visa/entry stamp.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Passport cards (optional) supposedly take a bit longer.

yes I want to renew my cards also.

Thanks everybody for good info.

I hate the idea of having my passport mailed to me. Just too many things to go wrong. But I did see DHL as a option.

Also you are walking around Thailand for a period of time with a cancelled passport.  

Expect you have a receipt for new passport application that Thailand has agreement to honor.  Registered mail is very reliable in my experience here.  Thai Passport office also uses that method.  I renewed a couple weeks before the new process became required and chose to return to pick-up however (they offered (encouraged) the option but was not sure of it).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Also you are walking around Thailand for a period of time with a cancelled passport.

Only for a day or two, during the period between when your old passport is canceled, and when you receive your new passport. So the Thai Post delivery + maybe 1 day.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for a US passport since it  is canceled on the day the application is accepted. And then It takes about 2 weeks for it to be received at the embassy for them to send it to you by EMS.

Oh, OK. I didn't know that.

I always thought they waited until a new passport was issued before canceling an old one.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Oh, OK. I didn't know that.

I always thought they waited until a new passport was issued before canceling an old one.

The embassy in Bangkok is in the midst of making citizen services increasingly unfriendly. The only way you can keep your passport without it being cancelled is to bring in proof you are using it to fly out in the weeks after you apply for renewal. At least this was the case when I emailed them about this back in October.  Now, however, you apparently cannot email them. When I recently used the old email address [email protected], the embassy never replied. When I used their contact form on the embassy website, after filling out the message and submitting, I received notice that "you do not have permission to access this server." Too, the appointment dates seem to have become much more limited, with several days per month unavailable, and appointments for passport renewal limited to early mornings before 8:45 am. The embassy, however, does seem to have plenty of time to make Songkran videos.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I hate the idea of having my passport mailed to me. Just too many things to go wrong. But I did see DHL as a option.

Do they take your old passport, or just stamp holes in it?  My passport required extra pages (back when they did that) and the book is a history of all international travel, that I need for other reasons.  Would like to keep it.  If they take it away, I would not be surprised if I just "lost" mine and applied for a replacement.  Do that take it away, or put in the holes?

9 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Do they take your old passport

You get to keep your old passport.

Either it gets returned with the new one for a qualifying renewal by mail. Or if applying in person you keep your old passport. I do not believe they drill holes anymore?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Do they take your old passport, or just stamp holes in it?

They only punch holes in the cover and stamp it canceled on the photo page and then give it back to you,

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They only punch holes in the cover and stamp it canceled on the photo page and then give it back to you,

Ubonjoe .. Honestly .. what would we do without your crisp, concise .. and most importantly ... accurate replies? 

I wish TV folks would learn from your example.  When people need help, they are not fishing for folk's best GUESS or "It ought to be this way" prognostications. 

So many times, you have helped me chart my course, with perfect results every time.  THANK YOU !

Just did it last month. Took 2 weeks and the whole process is doable by mail. The thing you need to be careful of is not letting the bank give you cashier's checks for the fees. It has to be a bank check. They have examples on the embassy website that you can print out and take to the bank to make sure. They only accept checks from SCB, Bangkok Bank, and K-Bank.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I used the ELS or something like that at the post office. Got there in 2 days and you get a tracking number. It is such a weird feeling to be without a passport, though. Gives me the willies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I did mine by mail. I was surprised as it took only 8 working days. Must have been a slow time of year.

On January 9th, I submitted my paperwork and paid the fee at the US Embassy at 10 am. My old passport was punched through both the cover and page 1-2. A red"Cancelled" was stamped on the signature page and it was returned to me. I chose EMS delivery and received the new one on the 18th.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That changed over 3 years ago or more. 

Seemed like longer but indeed was 3 years ago.

The US State Department has officially announced that after December 31, 2015, they will no longer allow US citizens to have pages added to their passports.

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You get to keep your old passport.

Either it gets returned with the new one for a qualifying renewal by mail. Or if applying in person you keep your old passport. I do not believe they drill holes anymore?

Big red Cancelled stamp and yes 2 holes at USA embassy